Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Cant play a song twice?

10K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  geoffreak 
#1 ·
Got my M3 yesterday! but I'm sure there's something I'm missing here.

I use the voice command and say "play the song Walk like an Egyptian" (daughter loves it) and it searches and then brings up the right song by the Bangles and plays it via streaming.

Later that day, I use the voice command to say the exact same thing and it searches and plays another song by the Bangles. huh?

I have tried this with other songs and it seems I cannot play the same song more than once?? Anyone else see this? Is this a TuneIn limitation or something (not familiar with TuneIn).

Reactions: Charlie W
#2 ·
This command uses Slacker Radio (not TuneIn - its the tab that says "streaming"). If you are using the free account that you got with the car it functions similarly to Pandora...though you can ask for a specific song, just not multiple times a day for the same song. When it plays the song you ask for it will then create a "Radio Station" for you with similar music.

If you want this ability you can upgrade to a Slacker premium account on their website: https://www.slacker.com

#6 ·
I think the $30/yr option doesn’t give you music on demand. You have to get the highest tier. I had this question too when I first got my car. Now I just live with it.

#11 ·
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Slacker, but I am a big fan of "built-in beats jury-rigged." So despite the fact that my family pays for a shared Spotify family plan, I also subscribed to Slacker premium. I really do not like the "radio" format like Slacker and Pandora use by default, where you ask for one song or artist, and are presented stuff "like that."

I also paid for a little service called Soundiiz that let me copy my playlists over to Slacker.

The end result is that my Spotify playlists (now Slacker playlists) are found on the Model 3 at Streaming-->Playlists now. The rest of the family have their playlists there, too. We all like that.

I would be much happier with Slacker in Model 3 if you could add any song that you're listening to quickly to a playlist. As it stands, you can only add a song to a playlist from your phone or computer. But I'd much rather be able to do it from the car as I'm hearing a new song.

Slacker's song selection is more limited than Spotify's, so I lost about 5% of my songs when my playlists came over. If Slacker allowed adding songs to playlists and improved their library (not holding my breath for that one), I'd stop wishing for Spotify in Model 3.

P.S. No need to suggest how easy it is to play songs via Bluetooth. I get that. I really like using the car's display for music, since I typically pull up a playlist, but then poke songs on the list as I want to play them, rather than going through linearly. I also jump to other channels like SportsCenter, radio stations, and podcasts. And I'd rather have the big screen for all that.

#13 ·
I grabbed a cheap 64g USB key and stuck a bunch of music on that.
It's nice because search will look on the usb as well. Sadly it doesn't search Bluetooth attached devices. Using usb also means the music is in the car regardless of whose phone is paired.
I am not on twitter but if any of you guys are why don't you tweet Elon and ask him why he can send a rocket to space and bring it back but cant make model 3 that can receive XM radio? For me not having XM capability is a really bummer.

#22 ·
In case anyone was wondering how to use your own Slacker account, just scroll down to the bottom of the list of streaming categories/stations and hit the sign in button. It's not obvious that the sign in button is even there.

Product Computer Personal computer Gadget Rectangle

Computer Rectangle Font Screenshot Electronic device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.