Cannot maintain vehicle power

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Bravedog

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There was a loud hum (buzz?) coming from the front of the car when I decided to check on the car last night.
"Cannot maintain vehicle power - Car may stop driving or shut down." It was in the garage charging, but it wouldn't let me disengage the charger, change gears, or engage tow mode. Shutting down the car or rebooting had no effect. Car has about 410 miles and a week from delivery. VIN is 31XXX.

Once I used the emergency disengage for the charger, the 12V battery died quick.
They had to tow her away. It's at the service center right now.
I checked other forums. It looks like a few others have seen this problem as well, but the fix has been to replace the drive train or the main battery so I don't know if this error can be generated from multiple sources. If you're on the road when it happens then you get stranded. I'll respond when the service center figures it out.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
There was a loud hum (buzz?) coming from the front of the car when I decided to check on the car last night.
"Cannot maintain vehicle power - Car may stop driving or shut down." It was in the garage charging, but it wouldn't let me disengage the charger, change gears, or engage tow mode. Shutting down the car or rebooting had no effect. Car has about 410 miles and a week from delivery. VIN is 31XXX.
Once I used the emergency disengage for the charger, the 12V battery died quick.
I checked other forums. It looks like a few others have seen this problem as well, but the fix has been to replace the drive train or the main battery so I don't know if this error can be generated from multiple sources. If you're on the road when it happens then you get stranded. I'll respond when the service center figures it out.
Bummer.

Did you get a loaner?

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sorry to hear of your troubles but thanks for posting and please do keep us up to date with what happens. As with anything new and especially on the edge of what is technically capable these things can happen. Glad you were at home and not stranded, hope they get it fixed soon for you.

Bravedog

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They got back to me today. They said that the car needs a new high voltage controller and that it should arrive on Monday. I wish I knew exactly what the controller was doing here... and why was it draining the 12V?

Bravedog

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They have had my car longer than I have. It's been at the service center for 8 days and it will be at least 11 days before I get it back.

Apparently, they need to mirror the data on the old high voltage controller, but it's not something they can do at a service center. Therefore, I have to wait on engineering in California to fix it.

RIP_OPEC

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Loaner is an S.... P100D. I used to want the S, but I actually prefer the way the 3 drives.

The 3 is still in diagnosis.
When Tesla provides a loaner, are you allowed unlimited free supercharging? I've always wondered that.

Jan King

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
They got back to me today. They said that the car needs a new high voltage controller and that it should arrive on Monday. I wish I knew exactly what the controller was doing here... and why was it draining the 12V?
Hi,
The high voltage converter would charge the 12V battery connecting every few hours to top it up. The 12V battery is constantly draining running connectivity.

KenS

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I had a similar issue. I was losing acceleration while driving, but my m3 wasn't giving me any warning. Had the car for 4 days and I'm 3 weeks in with a loaner 100D - I'm VIN 33XXX. They've checked (and replaced the super bottle) performed a flow test for the coolant and now have to replace the radiator... As much fun as it is driving the 100D I would like to get my M3 back at some point...

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had a similar issue. I was losing acceleration while driving, but my m3 wasn't giving me any warning. Had the car for 4 days and I'm 3 weeks in with a loaner 100D - I'm VIN 33XXX. They've checked (and replaced the super bottle) performed a flow test for the coolant and now have to replace the radiator... As much fun as it is driving the 100D I would like to get my M3 back at some point...
Just curious, what is a "super bottle"? In my mind I'm picturing a huge Nitrous Oxide bottle with a big red button to make the car go fast but the funny thing is......I can't find that anywhere in my car...LOL:D

N54tt

Country
Country
Had to have my p3d+ towed LESS THAN 24hr after taking delivery on the 28th. I got a “cannont maintain vehicle power” warning immediately after taking delivery and was told it was probably just the firmware that needed to be updated. They updated it and sent me on my way. The warning didn’t show the rest of the day. The next morning I got the “cannot maintain vehicle power” but also got “car needs service, unable to drive” and I had to tow my car to the service center.

Whether it’s coincidental or related. That night I was installing my center console wrap and it started getting hot so I turned the AC on and notice a knocking sound (intermittent but consistent) coming from the front of the car. If i turned AC off and just kept the fan running the knocking sounds would go away. It would happen whether manual, automatic, or front defroster was on. The air coming out wasn’t that cold either. I also noticed that when on automatic or front defroster was on....the AC icon would go from grey/blue intermittently...as if AC was turning on and off. I decided to take it for a drive and noticed when the car was moving about 5-6MPH the knocking would stop and the icon what stay consistently blue...as well as the air felt colder. I have a feeling it has something to do with the AC compressor.

After waiting for 2hrs for the two truck the car was able to go into drive and was able to drive it on and off the truck. While at the service center I was trying to replicate the AC issue...and what do you know...the two warnings came back and car again wouldn’t go into drive.

Brand new car less than 24hr!!! :(

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had to have my p3d+ towed LESS THAN 24hr after taking delivery on the 28th. I got a “cannont maintain vehicle power” warning immediately after taking delivery and was told it was probably just the firmware that needed to be updated. They updated it and sent me on my way. The warning didn’t show the rest of the day. The next morning I got the “cannot maintain vehicle power” but also got “car needs service, unable to drive” and I had to tow my car to the service center.

Whether it’s coincidental or related. That night I was installing my center console wrap and it started getting hot so I turned the AC on and notice a knocking sound (intermittent but consistent) coming from the front of the car. If i turned AC off and just kept the fan running the knocking sounds would go away. It would happen whether manual, automatic, or front defroster was on. The air coming out wasn’t that cold either. I also noticed that when on automatic or front defroster was on....the AC icon would go from grey/blue intermittently...as if AC was turning on and off. I decided to take it for a drive and noticed when the car was moving about 5-6MPH the knocking would stop and the icon what stay consistently blue...as well as the air felt colder. I have a feeling it has something to do with the AC compressor.

After waiting for 2hrs for the two truck the car was able to go into drive and was able to drive it on and off the truck. While at the service center I was trying to replicate the AC issue...and what do you know...the two warnings came back and car again wouldn’t go into drive.

Oh man, sorry to hear that you're having trouble already. I know it's no consolation but even Tesla can't get everything perfect all the time. I hope they get it fixed soon and you get the car back. BTW, even with those problems I'm still jealous of anyone who can start post with "My P3D+":)

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Very sorry to hear this. Brand spankin' new Model 3! a P3D no less! I would be a bit depressed. It sounds like the AC compressor and hope they get it fixed soon.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I got the same message on my car within 24 hrs of delivery. I did a soft reset and message went away until the next day. Dropped the car off with SvC with less than 48 hrs and 100 mi on the odo. They've had it now for 4 days which is twice the time I've had it and said "We have escalated your vehicle to our engineering team and are waiting on approval to replace a part". No other specifics.

I have an AP1 SP85D loaner which is better than an ICE but I'd rather drive the car I've been waiting 2 1/2 years for. Hopefully the repair happens quickly but after 100k vehicles made, you would think the bugs would have been worked out by now. These after delivery fixes really bite into the profit margin and hurt brand image with those that aren't Tesla fanatics.

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sad to hear this kind of stuff but I'm glad that you guys are getting taken care of. Please report back once your all fixed up.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I got the same message on my car within 24 hrs of delivery. I did a soft reset and message went away until the next day. Dropped the car off with SvC with less than 48 hrs and 100 mi on the odo. They've had it now for 4 days which is twice the time I've had it and said "We have escalated your vehicle to our engineering team and are waiting on approval to replace a part". No other specifics.

I have an AP1 SP85D loaner which is better than an ICE but I'd rather drive the car I've been waiting 2 1/2 years for. Hopefully the repair happens quickly but after 100k vehicles made, you would think the bugs would have been worked out by now. These after delivery fixes really bite into the profit margin and hurt brand image with those that aren't Tesla fanatics.
Oh man, sorry to hear your car is in the shop, it's no fun when you get a new toy and then they they take it back! I hope they get her all fixed up and you get it back soon, for now enjoy that P85D!

N54tt

Country
Country
Wow that’s two in NY. Mines been at the service center since Saturday. I’m in a p90d which lessens the blow alittle But it’s Sad that I’ve driven this more than my p3d and would prefer to have my car as I still need to detail it to take care of paint imperfections, have ppf and tints Installed...and finally get on with fully enjoying the car.