Last edited:

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
This is awesome!!!

How much of the drive was done with autopilot?
Alex will be doing a detailed write up shortly. We used it probably 95% of the time when it worked, but about halfway through it became unavailable. It appeared that it didn't like the sub-freezing temperatures for some reason. We tried cleaning off the sensors and cameras, but it just couldn't lock on to the road lines for some reason. After the run was over and the car was garaged overnight, it worked again the next two days without a problem. It seems like it was an anomaly caused by the camera fogging up, or Tesla found out what we were doing and bricked us. :mad::eek::D

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After delivery, I accidentally ran into Alex Roy and we took the EV Cannonball Run record....ok, maybe not accidentally.
http://www.thedrive.com/new-cars/17...-cannonball-run-record-of-50-hours-16-minutes
Wow, I can’t believe it. And to be part of an always amazing Alex Roy run. I would love to hear his stories!

So here the one question I had when Insaw this: How much does Alex think the Tesla’s radar reduce the effectiveness of the V1?
I was glad to see he still trusts the V1 over all others.

Alighieri256

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just happened upon the article and figured I'd see if you posted about it yet. Very cool. The pic shows 88mph, was that typical? I'm curious how the speed/range tradeoff would affect such an attempt, given how much more time is spent refueling vs. a gas car.

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Wow, I can’t believe it. And to be part of an always amazing Alex Roy run. I would love to hear his stories!

So here the one question I had when Insaw this: How much does Alex think the Tesla’s radar reduce the effectiveness of the V1?
I was glad to see he still trusts the V1 over all others.
He didn't bring it up once, but the thing was little up like a Christmas tree 85% of the trip. Really annoying...

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Just happened upon the article and figured I'd see if you posted about it yet. Very cool. The pic shows 88mph, was that typical? I'm curious how the speed/range tradeoff would affect such an attempt, given how much more time is spent refueling vs. a gas car.
Nice try! There are multiple reasons the speed is blurred out in the video, but that's one of them. There was limited data available to us going in, so we started out flying blind, and learned by trial and error. The next one to attempt will have more of an advantage. We'd be crazy to provide a road map to our undoing...

PTC Gator

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Nice try! There are multiple reasons the speed is blurred out in the video, but that's one of them. There was limited data available to us going in, so we started out flying blind, and learned by trial and error. The next one to attempt will have more of an advantage. We'd be crazy to provide a road map to our undoing...
? The speed wasn’t blurred out, neither was the speed limit marker.

JohnMon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Would love to know the total cumulative charging time and number of charging stops.

I assume all food and washroom breaks coincided with charging stops.

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Would love to know the total cumulative charging time and number of charging stops.

I assume all food and washroom breaks coincided with charging stops.
I can’t give you the roadmap to beat the record! Yes, hatever you have time to do while charging. If everything is closed, tough.

JohnMon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can’t give you the roadmap to beat the record! Yes, hatever you have time to do while charging. If everything is closed, tough.
Sorry, didn't mean to pry. I sent the article to a friend of mine and he was skeptical. I showed him with math that it was possible, just wanted to rub it in with facts.
He can always watch the entire time lapse video and prove it for himself.

RockNRy

Country
Country
Looks like there was about a 15 minute hold up with one of OK's finest - If the next person doesn't get pulled over, they may beat the record!

(P.S. I hope he let you guys off with a warning) ;)

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Looks like there was about a 15 minute hold up with one of OK's finest - If the next person doesn't get pulled over, they may beat the record!

(P.S. I hope he let you guys off with a warning) ;)
Yes, Alex Roy is a sweet talker and got off with a warning. There was another 30 mins + lost in PA due to a snow storm. Sub 50 hours is completely doable, it’s juat almost impossible to complete an entire run without unexpected issues.

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Sorry, didn't mean to pry. I sent the article to a friend of mine and he was skeptical. I showed him with math that it was possible, just wanted to rub it in with facts.
He can always watch the entire time lapse video and prove it for himself.
No problem, I wasn’t trying to be rude about it. With time lapse video, time stamped GPS tracking, and multiple photos of the screen at every stop, there are multiple layers of evidence showing that it was done.