Cannonball record car, anyone?

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • Selling or promoting products is NOT permitted on TOO. Please contact us for advertising or sponsorship rates.
    No bumping of threads unless you're lowering a price, answering a question, or adding useful information. Please note that items for sale must be in the possession of the buyer unless prior approval is opbtained by the admin.
    ALL ADS MUST INCLUDE A PRICE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
This just happened... trust @danzgator won’t object if I put this here...
A bit of a surprise since Dan was so impatient to get his car yet his reasoning holds water... :(

Good luck, Dan. Trust you’ll make someone happy... ;)

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
This just happened... trust @danzgator won’t object if I put this here...
A bit of a surprise since Dan was so impatient to get his car yet his reasoning holds water... :(

Good luck, Dan. Trust you’ll make someone happy... ;)

Thanks @Michael Russo. When I finally got the car home, my wife looked in the trunk and laughed at me. :sob:

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

RockNRy

Country
Country
If I was a betting man, this car was never intended to be a daily driver.

Between Alex Roy involved while configuring (and likely contributing financially), to setting the record, to publishing a convenient article on a national level within days of returning from NY about not liking the cargo space and now an eBay posting with a reserve above MSRP and a $469/day Turo listing..

I'd say this was always intended to be a way to gain attention and make some coin. Almost as bad as those saps on StubHub or even the dealerships charging up to $10k more for the Type R.

::End Rant::

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I agree, but certainly hold nothing against @danzgator who has provided us all with lots of great reading, entertainment, information, not to mention beautiful photos over the last two weeks while we all anxiously await our own
Good point. Good luck to him... at least he understand how to craft his value proposition... ;)

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
If I was a betting man, this car was never intended to be a daily driver.

Between Alex Roy involved while configuring (and likely contributing financially), to setting the record, to publishing a convenient article on a national level within days of returning from NY about not liking the cargo space and now an eBay posting with a reserve above MSRP and a $469/day Turo listing..

I'd say this was always intended to be a way to gain attention and make some coin. Almost as bad as those saps on StubHub or even the dealerships charging up to $10k more for the Type R.

::End Rant::
Whoa! Wrong on everything you typed.
  1. Alex Roy was not involved in configuring my car, he PM'd me for the first time after I configured. I had no idea who he was before that. I configured 11/21 (documented on this forum and here: https://insideevs.com/non-employees-invite-order-tesla-model-3/), Alex contacted me 11/22 because I posted on here that I got my configuration email before any other Owner. I ordered the sport wheels, but after deciding to the Cannonball Run, I asked Alex if I should change them to the aero wheels for greater efficiency. He said yes, and I did. Look at my signature, it still says sport wheels.
  2. Alex didn't contribute one dime toward the car or the trip. I paid for my flight, the car, and all supercharging. We rotated paying for meals, so that was probably a wash. Alex has offered to pay for a key card that he lost and to split detailing costs, that's it.
  3. I've never posted anything false on here. If you go back to my early posts you can see that my original plan was to drive cross country with my three kids. People told me I was nuts. So, I compared cabin measurements on both cars and was sure there was sufficient cabin space to fit the kids. I knew the cargo space would be tight, but planned to pack minimally for the trip.
  4. I have a 'Model 03' Florida license plate that I ordered, which is also documented on this forum. Why the hell would I spend $300 on a useless license plate if it was always my intent to sell the car? What am I going to do with that? Put it on my wife's minivan? https://teslaownersonline.com/threa...ty-plate-if-so-show-us.100/page-15#post-61328
  5. Why would I spend $1,300 on a ceramic coating for a car that I am planning on selling. No one is going to give me a dime for that coating on re-sale, so it's just money in the toilet.
  6. Renting my cars out is nothing new, and I'm sure documented in this forum as well. I've had my Model S listed on Turo for over a year, and my plan to rent my Model 3 out was no secret to anyone. My Model S rental price is not the lowest in town. I could rent it out a lot more if I dropped the price, but in my experience, it attracts scum that trashes your car. I'm not going to whore out a brand new $56k car that's high in demand for $99/day to any Joe blow. I don't financially need to rent it out, but if I can break even on the car and spread the word about Tesla and EV's, I'm happy to do it.
  7. I set the reserve for less than the average of every car that's actually sold on eBay. I'm not price gouging, but I'm also not going to take less than market value for my car. Will a net a profit if it sells? Of course, but so is everyone else on eBay that's sold their car or has listed their car. I don't know that it will, but if it commands a premium due to the fact that it set the Cannonball record, I earned that premium by spending money on flight, supercharging fees, putting 4,500 miles on my brand new car, and beating the crap out of it. I also spent a lot of money on reconditioning it.
You sound bitter that you don't have your car yet. Best of luck to you, but no need to mud sling at me to make yourself feel better.

Last edited:

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Jeez... crazy!

Look at the progression of this car... @danzgator had a few days of fun and stands to make a cool $20k+ on the car between tax credit, profit from sale, and daily rental until it’s sold...
I don't know that it will even meet the reserve, but if it does, I'd be closer to the neighborhood of $5k with all of my expenses INCLUDING the tax credit (if I get it). Maybe there'll be some crazy collector or something that drives it to $20k, but I'd say the odds are not in my favor of that happening.

A large news company rented my car to do a review of the vehicle that's forthcoming, but that's about it. No other renters so far at $399 a day, but I'm fine with that.

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I didn’t want to say it, but well you did.

No one with 3 little kids that does a lot of road trips is buying a Model 3 to keep.
You're a mod. Aren't you supposed to be above all this and policing the mud slinging? You're fanning the flames on something that you should know is not correct based on my prior posts that you commented on.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't know that it will even meet the reserve, but if it does, I'd be closer to the neighborhood of $5k with all of my expenses INCLUDING the tax credit (if I get it). Maybe there'll be some crazy collector or something that drives it to $20k, but I'd say the odds are not in my favor of that happening.

A large news company rented my car to do a review of the vehicle that's forthcoming, but that's about it. No other renters so far at $399 a day, but I'm fine with that.
If your car was $55k + taxes out the door you were about $62k (I think you shared somewhere along the way).

So yeah you’re right if it sold for $70k you’d make $15,500 (of course minus any other expenses incurred along the way). Not bad at all to have a little fun with it, recoup costs, and realize it’s not for you in the end!

You're a mod. Aren't you supposed to be above all this and policing the mud slinging? You're fanning the flames on something that you should know is not correct based on my prior posts that you commented on.
My bad on this part and you’re right. I just saw a car set a record while immediately being listed for rent and then for sale and took a journey in my mind. After waiting so long for the car it just gets a bit upsetting seeing someone get the car before you and then turn around and sell it so fast, but if it’s all on the up and up more power to you.

We are all allowed to let the craziness of waiting get to us once :(

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Thanks, @SoFlaModel3 , for setting the record straight...

@danzgator , I think lots of us here were maybe under the shock as we really didn’t see this coming... after your all your enthusiasm and impatience. Guess since you’re also the first one disappointed to have to shed your Model 3, we’ll continue to wish you the best deal and leave it at that.
I only started this thread in the genuine hope someone here might want to take a shot at reaching out to ya!

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
If your car was $55k + taxes out the door you were about $62k (I think you shared somewhere along the way).

So yeah you’re right if it sold for $70k you’d make $15,500 (of course minus any other expenses incurred along the way). Not bad at all to have a little fun with it, recoup costs, and realize it’s not for you in the end!

My bad on this part and you’re right. I just saw a car set a record while immediately being listed for rent and then for sale and took a journey in my mind. After waiting so long for the car it just gets a bit upsetting seeing someone get the car before you and then turn around and sell it so fast, but if it’s all on the up and up more power to you.

We are all allowed to let the craziness of waiting get to us once :(
No problem. If it sells for $70k yes, that’s correct. The last one that met reserve yesterday sold for $60k, so not likely unless it’s a collector.

danzgator

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Thanks, @SoFlaModel3 , for setting the record straight...

@danzgator , I think lots of us here were maybe under the shock as we really didn’t see this coming... after your all your enthusiasm and impatience. Guess since you’re also the first one disappointed to have to shed your Model 3, we’ll continue to wish you the best deal and leave it at that.
I only started this thread in the genuine hope someone here might want to take a shot at reaching out to ya!
Thanks, I’m personally in no rush to get rid of the car. I can probably rent it out and break even, so there’s really no extra cost to my prior situation.

But, if I know the car doesn’t work long term and I can sell it without losing money now, I have to strike while the iron’s hot. If I wait 3 months, I could lose thousands if it starts depreciating quickly. That’s why I listed it so quickly. With Tesla ramping up quickly, with every day that goes by, the car is worth less.

Status
Not open for further replies.