Canceled my C8 order and to my surprise will order a Model 3 Performance instead!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

docprego

Country
Country
My first post!

I had a C8 corvette pre-ordered, I had to cancel it for a few reasons completely unrelated to that car. Initially upon cancelling my C8 order a prospective Tesla purchase was not even on my radar. But the more I researched alternative vehicles, the more I kept coming back to one unescapable fact, Teslas are fully electric vehicles. EVERY other car I was considering was not. My list included the Toyora Supra, BMW Z4, Jaguar F-Type, and several other BMW coupes. But a funny thing happened, the more I researched The Model 3, the more archaic and antiquated all those ICE choices seemed to me. It got to the point where I couldn't even fathom choosing one over a Tesla.

So here I am, my current antiquated car, an Alfa Romeo Giulia lease is up in November of 2020. A month prior to that I plan on ordering a Model 3 Performance. I think I'm ruined for life regarding ICE vehicles, I simply can't imagine ever buying one of those outdated machines ever again!

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I think I'm ruined for life regarding ICE vehicles, I simply can't imagine ever buying one of those outdated machines ever again!
Yep, that's what happens when you start driving electric. It's hard to explain to those who haven't just how *immediate* the acceleration is. It's addicting.

Congrats! :)

StromTrooperM3

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I'm actually really sorry to hear that. They are 2 different experiences. If the C8 would be a daily driver I could see your justification. After a year of Tesla ownership, I cannot dilute my garage of ICE cars. The Teslas don't awaken any emotion, there is no driver's feedback.

I would hope you reconsider, perhaps a couple years down the road when the hype dies down and you can get a used one for 40k. If you're looking at a Corvette, a Tesla is not for you lol

Jay79

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My first post!

I had a C8 corvette pre-ordered, I had to cancel it for a few reasons completely unrelated to that car. Initially upon cancelling my C8 order a prospective Tesla purchase was not even on my radar. But the more I researched alternative vehicles, the more I kept coming back to one unescapable fact, Teslas are fully electric vehicles. EVERY other car I was considering was not. My list included the Toyora Supra, BMW Z4, Jaguar F-Type, and several other BMW coupes. But a funny thing happened, the more I researched The Model 3, the more archaic and antiquated all those ICE choices seemed to me. It got to the point where I couldn't even fathom choosing one over a Tesla.

So here I am, my current antiquated car, an Alfa Romeo Giulia lease is up in November of 2020. A month prior to that I plan on ordering a Model 3 Performance. I think I'm ruined for life regarding ICE vehicles, I simply can't imagine ever buying one of those outdated machines ever again!
Welcome to the club, your going to love it! I"m a Corvette guy so I understand that this is a big deal for you but you are making the wiser choice. Congrats

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'd suggest going to the NCM Motorsports Park close to the Corvette Museum and putting your car though its paces.

Did that with 60+ other Tesla owners August 3rd for the 2019 Midwest Tesla Gathering, and it was a blast!

VoltageDrop

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I'm actually really sorry to hear that. They are 2 different experiences. If the C8 would be a daily driver I could see your justification. After a year of Tesla ownership, I cannot dilute my garage of ICE cars. The Teslas don't awaken any emotion, there is no driver's feedback.

I would hope you reconsider, perhaps a couple years down the road when the hype dies down and you can get a used one for 40k. If you're looking at a Corvette, a Tesla is not for you lol
I have to somewhat agree with @StromTrooperM3 ....... Don't get me wrong....I absolutely love driving the PM3.....but even before I began driving....I have been "Conditioned" (in the most Pavlovian sense) to equate extreme speed/performance with spinning tires and supercharger/turbocharger/exhaust noises....our Teslas are the exact opposite........you are catapulted to light speed with no perception of drama what-so-ever to anyone around you (you will be glued to your seat and smiling while others see you quietly disappear from view)......I at times find myself wanting to drive my other (do I dare say it) ICE vehicle.....a modified turbocharged Forester with cat-back exhaust.... for the extra "emotion" it provides........while it is fast in its own right......it offers no-where near the relativistic characteristics I experience driving the PM3 aggressively......BUT.....the extra noises from the turbo/blow-off valve/exhaust somehow make it feel more savage than it really is..... "the ears enhance the eyes"

....I eventually would like to go to an all electric garage at some point.....BUT....not sure if I will be able to......that C8 Vette would make this transition most difficult to accomplish

StromTrooperM3

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Don't get me wrong....I absolutely love driving the PM3.....but even before I began driving....I have been "Conditioned" (in the most Pavlovian sense) to equate extreme speed/performance with spinning tires and supercharger/turbocharger/exhaust noises.
There are car guys/girls, and there are Tesla owners. They couldn't be further from the same point of view.

I'm glad to see someone weigh in with a similar mindset. I love the Tesla for what it is, no question. But I hate it for what it isn't, engaging and sense tingling. Two totally different experiences, both are fun, but when you're not just doing straight line blasts, shedding off speed into a corner you really feel how heavy these things are vs a performance car. 😀👍

VoltageDrop

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That would be awesome if you can select RWD, FWD or AWD anytime you want........what a selling advantage.....I don't think this is anything that can't be handled by some lines of programming....

michigantesla

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Recently found out the acceleration between the C8 and M3P are about the same. I'm in Michigan and many Manufacturer plate C8s are driving around. The employees drive them around the Detroit area. Anyway was getting on the freeway and was behind a C8 M plate car. There is a light near the ramp and then a right turn onto the ramp. Sometimes the M plate drivers follow all traffic laws and sometimes they wring the cars out. When the light turned green the C8 hammered it (tire squeal and all). I wasn't expecting it, so also jumped on it but delayed. Now knowing he was going to go, I caught him in time for the right turn for the ramp. We both entered the ramp full throttle and stayed that way, as far as I could tell, until the end of the ramp - about 110mph. So we ran from 20-110. From about 20-70 I would say I was slightly gaining and from 70-110 it was about even with him maybe pulling a little on the top. I thought the c8 would be faster than my M3P in a straight line. Now of course from 120+ I think the c8 would be faster and it would be much faster on road course as it is significantly lighter - 350lbs.

shareef777

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If I didn’t have my kids, I absolutely would get the C8. That thing is art on wheels!

StromTrooperM3

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I thought the c8 would be faster than my M3P in a straight line
AWD is the secret to off the line acceleration. I've been saying for years that eventually all performance cars will go AWD because you can't just beat physics. 600-800hp is just too difficult to get down even on super fat rear tires. People seem to forget also with cup 2s or sport 4s or even re71r that tire temperature is extremely important. Performance cars include this data point to the driver for safety reasons. Some of these tires don't even warm up to optimum temperature in a street setting.

Over the summer had a 2018 Z06 owner drive my DM 3 and immediately said it feels faster, easier to control, and has no doubt it would roast him off the line because it's a learned skill(that he's having difficulty mastering) to get a good launch without wheel spin.

That being said I love the report that a much heavier m3p can hold it's own. The majority still don't understand instant torque in the real world. In terms of "do it all functionality" it's still impossible to beat the model 3 against any other car (coupe or sedan) on the road. Speed, storage, ride comfort. It does it all!

Mr. Spacely

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The majority still don't understand instant torque in the real world. In terms of "do it all functionality" it's still impossible to beat the model 3 against any other car (coupe or sedan) on the road. Speed, storage, ride comfort. It does it all!
You forgot: lower maintenance, lower cost of energy, better technology, self driving, etc...

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
AWD is the secret to off the line acceleration. I've been saying for years that eventually all performance cars will go AWD because you can't just beat physics. 600-800hp is just too difficult to get down even on super fat rear tires. People seem to forget also with cup 2s or sport 4s or even re71r that tire temperature is extremely important. Performance cars include this data point to the driver for safety reasons. Some of these tires don't even warm up to optimum temperature in a street setting.

Over the summer had a 2018 Z06 owner drive my DM 3 and immediately said it feels faster, easier to control, and has no doubt it would roast him off the line because it's a learned skill(that he's having difficulty mastering) to get a good launch without wheel spin.

That being said I love the report that a much heavier m3p can hold it's own. The majority still don't understand instant torque in the real world. In terms of "do it all functionality" it's still impossible to beat the model 3 against any other car (coupe or sedan) on the road. Speed, storage, ride comfort. It does it all!

Along these lines, 4 or 5 years ago when Chevy was working on the upper end Camaro, they kept spinning the tires on the wheels. I was thinking this was all due to acceleration. I googled and found the article, seems most of it was due to braking, but down in the article it is also due to acceleration. The AWD will help eliminate that part for sure.

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm...Pages/news/us/en/2014/mar/0313-camaroz28.html

StromTrooperM3

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
they kept spinning the tires on the wheels
This article seems to mention something different and extremely interesting all together. The g forces were so extreme that the tire was actually slipping and rotating on the rim. Very cool actually when you think about the forces needed for that to happen. There is so much science that goes into those track focused performance machines 😀

Edit: also learned about this paint to glue the wheel and tire together. Never knew that was a thing

Last edited: