Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Canadian Charging Networks

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  bpjod 
#1 ·
In planning an EV trip to Canada, specifically Banff to Vancouver, I was wondering what networks I should sign up with to get level 2 charging covered?

Of course I am planning mostly Supercharging sites, but there are sometimes when slower charging is important, especially when overnight parking or in the areas that don't have supercharging. For instance in travelling from Montana to Fort Macleod, there really is only RV parks and a few Tesla WC's. In that case I'll plan to stay overnight near Glacier National Park.

In the US, I have Chargepoint and EVgo account.

Any ideas @TrevP or @Kennethbokor ?

#7 ·
There's a good Supercharger route from Calgary to Vancouver. I currently drive a Volt (someday my Model 3 will come in...) and in Alberta I mainly use Chargepoint (need an account) and Sun Country (free, no account needed, just pull up and charge). Flo is pretty rare in Alberta, just one location at the moment I believe and 3 more opening up soon, but a look at the map shows many in BC. With those options and campgrounds I'm pretty sure you'll find your way on this trip without too much trouble. Enjoy!

#8 ·
There's a good Supercharger route from Calgary to Vancouver. I currently drive a Volt (someday my Model 3 will come in...) and in Alberta I mainly use Chargepoint (need an account) and Sun Country (free, no account needed, just pull up and charge). Flo is pretty rare in Alberta, just one location at the moment I believe and 3 more opening up soon, but a look at the map shows many in BC. With those options and campgrounds I'm pretty sure you'll find your way on this trip without too much trouble. Enjoy!
Thanks. I did see sun country, good to know that I don't need an card for those. And I have a charge point card and account.

I signed up for Flo, but I didn't order the card for them, so I'll hold off on them.

The hardest part is going from Montana to fort MacLeod! Staying at a camp site near Glacier halfway to get a full charge and do some siteseeing.

#11 ·
Thanks. I did see sun country, good to know that I don't need an card for those. And I have a charge point card and account.
A little more info re: Sun Country's chargers, at least here in Alberta and neighbouring Saskatchewan. They sell rebranded Clipper Creek chargers. I've bought one and installed it at my business for charging my car at work. They've also partnered with Peavey Mart (a hardware store) and possibly Best Western hotels and some other businesses to install chargers at their locations. In Alberta and Saskatchewan I've sometimes found the chargers to be installed right near the front door. These are oil provinces with not a lot of understanding/empathy for EVs (especially in more rural areas). As such, an EV is a rare sight and these chargers are often unused and eventually people start to simply use these spots as another parking spot since it's usually vacant and close to the door. Therefore they are commonly ICEd. I've even found them to be on the wall behind seasonal displays - last time I was in Kindersley, Saskatchewan they had palettes of gardening supplies (bags of peat moss, compost, etc.) all stacked up in front of the charger. I parked there over night in front of the displays and just managed to stretch the cord through all the displays to reach my car! At least with my Volt I have a backup plan!
The hardest part is going from Montana to fort MacLeod! Staying at a camp site near Glacier halfway to get a full charge and do some siteseeing.
I've often wondered about that stretch too as I often drive Alberta to Ontario and plan to do so once I get a Tesla. ICurrently there's no Trans Canada route (although it looks like one may be coming!) so I've tried to figure out how I'd get there without having to detour too far out of my way or slowly crawl my way across country using L2 chargers. The quickest way to do that appears to me to be Big Timber (Supercharger) to Great Falls (172 mi, Dick's RV Park has NEMA 14-50, $20 to charge, across street from Best Western Heritage Inn) to Conrad (62 mi, Super 8 has 2 NEMA 14-50 outlets, free for guests, $5 for non-guests) to Ft. MacLeod (157 mi, Supercharger), spending the night in either Conrad or Great Falls to get a full charge. That would be the "quick" way from the East. Through Glacier would be the far more scenic way. Charging info from PlugShare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.