Canada International Centre deliveries and Tesla app issue

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Just a warning for those picking up their cars in the International Centre in Mississauga. MTO was severely delayed yesterday in delivering registration and plates so delivery delays were 1.5 to 5.5 hours (I unfortunately was one of the 5.5 hour ones) so plan accordingly. They have coffee and water but no snacks so bring some snacks particularly if you have children although there is a Tim Horton's within walking distance.
Secondly they do not go over any of the features with the car individually however they do have someone in a corner with many chairs going over the features as a group.
Lastly the Tesla phone app will disconnect the car from your account the day after delivery. This is normal behaviour and the car will be re-associated with your account in 1-3 days (this comes straight from Tesla support). I woke up this morning and thought maybe they lost my check.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I highly advise everyone to get familiar with the car via YouTube videos (like ours) prior to getting the car. Tesla just does not have the time to hand-hold during this massive push to get Model 3 on the roads in Ontario prior to the election.

Yes, expect delays but I suggest you try and call to verify your delivery time especially if its in the afternoon or evening when things get super busy.

Dr Gez

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I highly advise everyone to get familiar with the car via YouTube videos (like ours) prior to getting the car. Tesla just does not have the time to hand-hold during this massive push to get Model 3 on the roads in Ontario prior to the election.

Yes, expect delays but I suggest you try and call to verify your delivery time especially if its in the afternoon or evening when things get super busy.
Problem is for some of us, we have to travel really far. I have my flight booked and face a 4-5 hour drive home so I am really worried about picking up at 1:45, being delayed 4-5 hours and then needing to drive back to Ottawa. I really hope they prioritize people who would normally get home delivery due to distance when they start falling behind. I am not worried about being shown everything as I am reading the manual, watching the videos, I am a current EV driver - I just don't want to wait 5 hours.

TrevP

Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Problem is for some of us, we have to travel really far. I have my flight booked and face a 4-5 hour drive home so I am really worried about picking up at 1:45, being delayed 4-5 hours and then needing to drive back to Ottawa. I really hope they prioritize people who would normally get home delivery due to distance when they start falling behind. I am not worried about being shown everything as I am reading the manual, watching the videos, I am a current EV driver - I just don't want to wait 5 hours.
Make them aware of your situation as soon as you get there. Hopefully they can accommodate you right away but keep in mind, ALL Ontario Model 3 deliveries are being done at the IC so you're not alone in this matter, people are coming from all over the province to take delivery.

wackojacko

Country
Country
As Trevor suggested try to bump the line a bit (i'm local and would let you go ahead of me) also go pee and eat before you get the car then boom straight drive, kidding. good luck. I'm Wednesday so hoping issues settle a bit.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
@Dikat @S Madgal @TrevP
Can a Canadian that has recently gone through the process please give me any pertinent things that may speed up the process for you guys. I presume there may be predelivery or delivery points that Canadians need to pay special attention to so as to not get held up. I will create a Canadian subsection in the delivery checklist when I revise it tonight or tomorrow.

Dr Gez

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have emailed my DA to see if I can move my time up at all so if I am stuck waiting I'd rather not due it into the evening. I also assume things will improve by the day as they work through this .

sean_white

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Yeah, so I was in this exact same situation. I took the Via down for a 2pm appointment and arrived around 1:45pm to check in. While heading toward the IC from Pearson, I saw 2 3's driving away and a car transport loaded with them dropping off at IC.

I was somewhat optimistic heading in to the hall. The person at check-in took my info and then told me that they were running 30-45 minutes behind. I immediately doubled that in my head. I walked around for a bit, admiring all the 3's lined up in the back of the hall, took some pictures, drank some coffee and found a place to sit with some fellow 1:45-2pm appointment waiters. When I sat, a lady at the table told me that someone had just vacated that spot to collect their vehicle. I thought, "great!", until her next sentence was that their appointment had been at 11am... so already 3 hours behind by this point.

I simply just decided to sit and enjoy the company and not stress about it. At about the 2 hour wait mark, I went up to the desk to inquire about an update. The same person was there, telling people arriving for their 4&4:30 appointments that they were a "little behind - probably no more than 1 hour". I corrected him for the benefit of those just arriving (but maybe it's a standard line so that people don't get too upset when they get there - whatever). Honestly, this person seemed a bit flustered and seemed to be avoiding eye contact. I was then told that my car was there (well, that would have been a real shock if it wasn't, considering I was told it was there when I arrived!) but they were having trouble locating some "paperwork" but would come and find me. Ok, fine - "I'll be over at the table in near the corner".

Another 30 minutes passed and I wandered over again for an update and was told that they had been looking for me for 15 minutes. I'm really not sure how they missed me... but whatever, things were moving along and they were going to send someone else out to see me. Within another 10 minutes, I had my first contact with a delivery associate. Finally, I was going to get to see my car and get a picture etc. but wasn't allowed to do inspection at that point.

Next, we went through all the delivery paperwork, I handed over my bank draft and was told to go to the orientation area to get an overview of the features while I waited for the prep. I sat there, opened up the Tesla app and was able to log in (didn't work earlier), and saw that my car was in motion (10km/h) with about 50% charge. At this point, I was wondering if they had any charging facilities to top it up but was doubtful. The person next to me noticed the same thing and he asked the orientation person but was told they only deliver with a half-charge. I was hoping to possibly get back home on a single charge. Oh well.

I think another 10-15 minutes passed and then I was finally called to do the inspection outside! It was an awesome sight and most of my troubles melted away. I forgot half of the stuff on the checklist but still gave it a good once over. I only noticed a small scuff on the underside at the back and a piece of plastic had popped out on the underside but was easily put back into place. So, word of warning, once you go over the inspection, that's about all you get. At that point, you're pretty much on your own. I did have some trouble pairing my phone but managed to flag down a license plate installer to help me. All it needed was a reboot of the car (press and hold the steering wheel knobs for 3 seconds).

After all that, I set up my route back to Ottawa and smiled the whole way home. Even the charging was awesome. I stopped in Port Hope and saw another black 3 there who had the same experience as me. It was a long day, but well worth it in the end.

My advice would be to bring some snacks, a book, cards, anything to keep you occupied. Enjoy the company of the fellow Model 3 enthusiasts around you because we're all on the same mission. Most of all, enjoy that drive home. It's a dream come true.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
To all Canadians taking delivery soon:

Please forgive the SNAFU that you will experience getting your car. Keep in mind that Tesla has made last minute changes in their delivery schedule to rush your cars to you so that you can benefit from the $14000 credit.

They rushed hiring and rushed the facilities and are still understaffed and disorganized with inexperienced new employees but Tesla did this for your benefit despite not being able to give you the ideal delivery experience that they wish you could have.

As you sit in the delivery center the time passes slowly and your patience wears thin, just picture all the money you are saving with Tesla's help You may choose to spend some of that money to buy a voodoo doll of the new politicians that are getting elected that have promised to repeal the credit and have forced this situation on you all.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Hi, Like most of you I still don't have a final invoice from Tesla Canada. I was going to add GST to my draft invoice and pay the small balance with a personal cheque. Can someone who has already picked up a car in Toronto please list the extra fees? I guess AC fee ($100? plus GST), the tire tax (5.84 X 4 =23.36 +HST?), registration/plates (?)... what else? Please confirm my guess amounts if possible?

Dr Gez

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah, so I was in this exact same situation. I took the Via down for a 2pm appointment and arrived around 1:45pm to check in. While heading toward the IC from Pearson, I saw 2 3's driving away and a car transport loaded with them dropping off at IC.

I was somewhat optimistic heading in to the hall. The person at check-in took my info and then told me that they were running 30-45 minutes behind. I immediately doubled that in my head. I walked around for a bit, admiring all the 3's lined up in the back of the hall, took some pictures, drank some coffee and found a place to sit with some fellow 1:45-2pm appointment waiters. When I sat, a lady at the table told me that someone had just vacated that spot to collect their vehicle. I thought, "great!", until her next sentence was that their appointment had been at 11am... so already 3 hours behind by this point.

I simply just decided to sit and enjoy the company and not stress about it. At about the 2 hour wait mark, I went up to the desk to inquire about an update. The same person was there, telling people arriving for their 4&4:30 appointments that they were a "little behind - probably no more than 1 hour". I corrected him for the benefit of those just arriving (but maybe it's a standard line so that people don't get too upset when they get there - whatever). Honestly, this person seemed a bit flustered and seemed to be avoiding eye contact. I was then told that my car was there (well, that would have been a real shock if it wasn't, considering I was told it was there when I arrived!) but they were having trouble locating some "paperwork" but would come and find me. Ok, fine - "I'll be over at the table in near the corner".

Another 30 minutes passed and I wandered over again for an update and was told that they had been looking for me for 15 minutes. I'm really not sure how they missed me... but whatever, things were moving along and they were going to send someone else out to see me. Within another 10 minutes, I had my first contact with a delivery associate. Finally, I was going to get to see my car and get a picture etc. but wasn't allowed to do inspection at that point.

Next, we went through all the delivery paperwork, I handed over my bank draft and was told to go to the orientation area to get an overview of the features while I waited for the prep. I sat there, opened up the Tesla app and was able to log in (didn't work earlier), and saw that my car was in motion (10km/h) with about 50% charge. At this point, I was wondering if they had any charging facilities to top it up but was doubtful. The person next to me noticed the same thing and he asked the orientation person but was told they only deliver with a half-charge. I was hoping to possibly get back home on a single charge. Oh well.

I think another 10-15 minutes passed and then I was finally called to do the inspection outside! It was an awesome sight and most of my troubles melted away. I forgot half of the stuff on the checklist but still gave it a good once over. I only noticed a small scuff on the underside at the back and a piece of plastic had popped out on the underside but was easily put back into place. So, word of warning, once you go over the inspection, that's about all you get. At that point, you're pretty much on your own. I did have some trouble pairing my phone but managed to flag down a license plate installer to help me. All it needed was a reboot of the car (press and hold the steering wheel knobs for 3 seconds).

After all that, I set up my route back to Ottawa and smiled the whole way home. Even the charging was awesome. I stopped in Port Hope and saw another black 3 there who had the same experience as me. It was a long day, but well worth it in the end.

My advice would be to bring some snacks, a book, cards, anything to keep you occupied. Enjoy the company of the fellow Model 3 enthusiasts around you because we're all on the same mission. Most of all, enjoy that drive home. It's a dream come true.
Thanks for the info - very insightful. Hoping things improve next week. Did you inquire about the charging - I was hoping to have a full charge as I wouldn't need to stop and pay for supercharging if they delivered the car with a full charge.

sean_white

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Thanks for the info - very insightful. Hoping things improve next week. Did you inquire about the charging - I was hoping to have a full charge as I wouldn't need to stop and pay for supercharging if they delivered the car with a full charge.
So, I did mention it to one of the delivery people outside and he basically said that Tesla won't be able to charge our accounts until the car has been fully transferred (a day or 2). He took a picture of my VIN in any case to send somewhere. We'll see how far that goes. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Mine came with about a 50% charge, 270 km available.

What is funny is you will hear honking regularly. I thought it was the delivery people demonstrating the horn but it turned out it was just people discovering they could connect the Tesla app to their car and were remotely honking their horns (I did the same). It is reassuring/frustrating when you are waiting that your baby is just a short distance away.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I've just been delayed a week for my pick-up in Toronto. Apparently my car is still in customs. I was scheduled to pick the car up this Monday the 4th but now it's going to be next Monday the 11th. If you are traveling from out of town the pick up your 3 I would call/confirm that your car is ready.

TrevP

Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
FYI: If any of you feel you need your delivery issues escalated please use the drop down menu in the Support box in your Tesla account and chose “Escalate this concern for executive review”.

You will find it by clicking the “Manage” button in your Model 3 section of your MyTesla account. Escalations are reviewed daily by corporate in the US. This only works for those with VIN numbers, not reservations

Country
Country
I've just been delayed a week for my pick-up in Toronto. Apparently my car is still in customs. I was scheduled to pick the car up this Monday the 4th but now it's going to be next Monday the 11th. If you are traveling from out of town the pick up your 3 I would call/confirm that your car is ready.
An extra week for customs? How did they miss the timing that badly? I assume a number of folks are in the same boat, so that doesn't bode well. Did they call you?

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Hi Guernsey, I received an Email that just said car not ready for delivery. I then called my DS and got a bit more info, like that it was in Michigan waiting to cross the boarder. I'm pretty disappointed as I had a hotel in Toronto booked as well as two days vacation booked off work. My VIN is 283XX so anyone close to that might be affected as well.

Neel Patel

Country
Country
Hi Guernsey, I received an Email that just said car not ready for delivery. I then called my DS and got a bit more info, like that it was in Michigan waiting to cross the boarder. I'm pretty disappointed as I had a hotel in Toronto booked as well as two days vacation booked off work. My VIN is 283XX so anyone close to that might be affected as well.
Hmm...interesting and now i'm starting to worry...I have my delivery scheduled for June 7th, VIN 293XX, and I NEED to pick it up before then, and can't afford a customs delay, as i'm out of town for work (in sunny Cali if you must know!) the whole following week!

Really hoping I don't run into delays....

osovega40

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
can anyone comment on how the delivery delays are progressing?. Are they still backlogged and disorganized?. Supposed to pick up on June 5th later in the day.