Can you guide the autopark feature to a fairly small spot?

rareohs

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I literally have only seen the blue "P" appear twice, both time in the middle of an intersection :confused:

Kind of a total missing feature for me. Have never been able to get it to work while actually, you know, trying to park LOL

Audrey

SR3NTY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Somebody should tweet Elon to add a option for autopark that has a toggle between "center of spot" and "passenger side hug".
I know this is meant in jest, but (@telero and) I have a theory about Elon's "yes we'll implement [feature] soon" tweets. The theory is that Tesla has already developed and is almost ready to deploy any of the features Elon publicly comments about. By waiting for a tweet asking for the feature, Tesla looks like they're responding quickly to customer requests. I imagine the requests come in all the time, but rarely get any response.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I know this is meant in jest, but (@telero and) I have a theory about Elon's "yes we'll implement [feature] soon" tweets. The theory is that Tesla has already developed and is almost ready to deploy any of the features Elon publicly comments about. By waiting for a tweet asking for the feature, Tesla looks like they're responding quickly to customer requests. I imagine the requests come in all the time, but rarely get any response.
I have had that same thought. There is an obvious cherry picking of what gets replied to.

smak

Country
Country
I literally have only seen the blue "P" appear twice, both time in the middle of an intersection :confused:

Kind of a total missing feature for me. Have never been able to get it to work while actually, you know, trying to park LOL
Yah, I don't understand what it sees when you are stopped at an intersection, and it wants to perpendicular park into oncoming traffic the other way. That certainly isn't following the rule of one empty parking space surrounded by 2 cars. It's not even close.

TesLou

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

Same for me. I was showing off the features to my niece and nephew last night and prematurely bragged about the autopark. Egg on my face as we snaked through the parking lot waiting for the “P” to come on. Never did; at least not there. Heading back home, near an intersection, my niece shouted out, “There’s the P!” More egg...

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I don't perceive it that way. It just that sometimes someone asks for what's about to be released anyway, so they get a reply like 'yes, soon'.
And there were few cases where the tweet actually had an original idea for improvement, like the "don't move the seat back when put in park, also wait for belt unbuckle", which was trivial to do, so the response was there too.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
...Have never been able to get it to work while actually, you know, trying to park LOL
As far as I can tell from reading the manual and actual use, it's ONLY intended to detect available parking spots as you drive past them and then does the full parking maneuver from there. The obvious downside of that is it does take a long time to complete and makes it a "3 point" maneuver almost every time. I have managed to get it to back in without it going forward just ONCE, by apparently getting the spacing away from the parked cars JUST RIGHT before I started the autopark.

What I would like it to be able to do is let me get it roughly aligned with an open spot, behind OR in front, and let it do the precise spacing (or offset) and stop distance between lines, or cars, or curb, by itself. It seems like that would be the easy part and not require the back and forth movement, thus making it practical since it won't take a long time, so it's odd to me that that's the thing it can't do (for now).

Last edited:

TesLou

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ve had my car for almost 4 months now. 15,500 miles on it. If I’m not mistaken, autopark has “lit up” 4 times. Apparently, either me or my car has bad eyesight. For me, it doesn’t matter; like Summon, it’s only there as a “show off” feature IMO.