Can you guide the autopark feature to a fairly small spot?

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I share our 2 car garage with both my wife and my motorcycle.

in order from left to right is, Wife's car, My car, Motorcycle, as close to the wall as possible.

In order to park my car in a way that I can still get into it in the morning, I have to park in a pretty specific spot that is fairly close to the motorcycle.

I have to back my car out of the garage before anyone can get into the passengers side.

When my model 3 arrives, I want to use the auto park (Included with EAP) the back teh car into my spot, so that the charger port is facing right side wall.

Here is my hypothetical dilemma.

I arrive home before my wife, so the Tesla will see a giant open 2 car garage.

Is there a way i can mark off that I want the car to reverse into the garage and scoot the passenger side as close to the motorcycle as reasonably possible?

Petra

Country
Country
Perpendicular auto park currently only works if there are vehicles on either side of the target parking spot that the car can detect as you slowly drive past. Also, it will only center the car in the space.

What it seems like you want the car to do is summon into the garage (which is separate from auto park)... which is doable, but you have to do the major alignment for it, the offset you're looking for will be problematic, and having summon operate in super close proximity to objects is less than ideal. For this situation, I'd argue that summon just isn't capable enough yet, but it may be workable if you're okay with there being less space between your car and your wife's car (assuming there's no tricky maneuvering to get into the garage).

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Perpendicular auto park currently only works if there are vehicles on either side of the target parking spot that the car can detect as you slowly drive past.
I've read that elsewhere. It appears to rely on the ultrasonic sensors instead of the cameras. Hopefully that will be updated at some point.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Perpendicular auto park currently only works if there are vehicles on either side of the target parking spot that the car can detect as you slowly drive past. Also, it will only center the car in the space.

What it seems like you want the car to do is summon into the garage (which is separate from auto park)... which is doable, but you have to do the major alignment for it, the offset you're looking for will be problematic, and having summon operate in super close proximity to objects is less than ideal. For this situation, I'd argue that summon just isn't capable enough yet, but it may be workable if you're okay with there being less space between your car and your wife's car (assuming there's no tricky maneuvering to get into the garage).
Looks like I am going to need to start practicing backing into the garage with my current car

Charlie W

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@Splosions - I was also wondering the same type of thing because of our narrowish 2-car/1 long garage door. (Right now, in order for passengers to comfortably enter our cars, we have to pull out of the garage.) Since my wife prefers to back her car in, my car goes in "head first", so that the 2 driver doors meet in the garage's center aisle. I was wondering if a line painted (or taped) on the floor -- like parking lot lines -- would work, so my Model 3 would know where or how far over to park. (Since the charging door will also be in the center aisle, I'm also "inventing" a way pull down the charging cable from the ceiling.)

Petra

Country
Country
@Splosions - I was also wondering the same type of thing because of our narrowish 2-car/1 long garage door. (Right now, in order for passengers to comfortably enter our cars, we have to pull out of the garage.) Since my wife prefers to back her car in, my car goes in "head first", so that the 2 driver doors meet in the garage's center aisle. I was wondering if a line painted (or taped) on the floor -- like parking lot lines -- would work, so my Model 3 would know where or how far over to park. (Since the charging door will also be in the center aisle, I'm also "inventing" a way pull down the charging cable from the ceiling.)
At present, both the auto park features and summon rely on the car's ultrasonic sensors for alignment and obstacle detection. Painting lines in your garage won't do anything to help unless Tesla starts making use of the cameras for said operations--I'd expect this to happen eventually, but your guess is probably as good as mine about when it'll happen.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sounds like you have some great ideas! I'm looking forward to you getting your M3 so we can see what kinds of clever things you come up with!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

What do you think about putting down stripes as if to outline a spot and then using auto park?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What do you think about putting down stripes as if to outline a spot and then using auto park?
Because....
Perpendicular auto park currently only works if there are vehicles on either side of the target parking spot that the car can detect as you slowly drive past.
I've read that elsewhere. It appears to rely on the ultrasonic sensors instead of the cameras. Hopefully that will be updated at some point.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just because it doesn't work now, doesn't mean it won't work in the future. Right now AP parks between cars but I bet within the next year it will also take lines into consideration. Don't forget the software is continuously being upgraded.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Great illustration of this feature. Thanks for tweet, @Kennethbokor !

I saw that video yesterday and it made me realize I'm literally never going to use auto park for 2 reasons....

1) It's painfully slow
2) It parks "perfect". Good right? No! It's perfectly centered between 2 cars. My preferred method of parking is corner spots only and hugging the curb leaving tons of room on the other side.

I'm sure I'll play with it a few times though ;)

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I use autopark rarely. When parking in a busy parking lot, I've gotten evil stares from others because they can't drive past me while the car is parking so slowly. Also, the car turns the wheel while completely stopped which is something I learned not to do because it puts extra stress on the tires and steering system.

It has already been suggested to Tesla to add an adjustment to the autopark function to be able to park closer to one side vs the other if the driver wanted to avoid getting dinged, etc.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
2) It parks "perfect". Good right? No! It's perfectly centered between 2 cars. My preferred method of parking is corner spots only and hugging the curb leaving tons of room on the other side.
I *may* use it to parallel park, just to avoid making a mistake and scraping up a wheel.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I *may* use it to parallel park, just to avoid making a mistake and scraping up a wheel.
That's a good point. In my neck of the woods parallel parking is rare and I'm generally pretty good at it, but I agree on a parallel spot I'd be likely to use it.

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I saw that video yesterday and it made me realize I'm literally never going to use auto park for 2 reasons....

1) It's painfully slow

I'm sure I'll play with it a few times though ;)
I've been thinking the exact same thing. I assume at some point it'll work a lot faster, but for now it's nearly useless unless I have no other option but to mark in a tight spot that's hard to get into. I know for the first year or so I'll be parking as far from other cars as possible.

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I assume at some point it'll work a lot faster, but for now it's nearly useless unless I have no other option but to mark in a tight spot that's hard to get into.
I doubt it can parallel park more competently than a good human but I'm sure it's a lot better than a human who is not competent. Of course, early adopters are helping the system learn. I'm sure Tesla collects data from every auto-park event which helps it recognize common issues in different areas around the world from which the system can adapt and improve.
So, the more you play with it, the better it can be developed!