Can we upgrade to AWD or Performance after delivery?

Country
Country
Hi folks,

I was wondering if we could upgrade to AWD or performance at a later date? I want to get my M3 asap but I also want it fully loaded. Debating if I should wait or get it now and upgrade it later.
Is it possible?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hi folks,

I was wondering if we could upgrade to AWD or performance at a later date? I want to get my M3 asap but I also want it fully loaded. Debating if I should wait or get it now and upgrade it later.
Is it possible?
no. those are both hardware related, and need to be done at the time of manufacturing.

Country
Country
But will Tesla allow us to take it in so they can do the hardware upgrades? Hopefully keeping the cost somewhat the same as if we ordered it with it to begin with.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But will Tesla allow us to take it in so they can do the hardware upgrades? Hopefully keeping the cost somewhat the same as if we ordered it with it to begin with.
no. it's part of the MANUFACTURING process. not something that can be added at the service center. If you want a car now and a fully loaded car, you better make a second reservation and plan to trade the first in for a future one.

pjfw8

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Don't expect this. This involves much more than swapping a battery pack and adding the front motor, wiring, cooling upgrades and software. Because of weight changes, brakes, suspension components and many other systems would need replacing. Consider that Tesla never did this for model S or X. The model 3 battery pack is also harder to remove. I'm sure the cost would more than double. Software only upgrades like auto pilot and FSD can be added after delivery but at a $1,000 premium each.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the feedback. Still not sure what I will do
It’s a tough call. I know I’m not flipping the car so the only reason why I’m going with first production is because it’s exactly what I want and plan to keep for at least the duration of the 5 year loan.