Can this be warranty repaired.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Hello,

I only own the car for a month. Today was washing it for the first time and notice couple of things. Not sure how this happened. I certainly do not remember do it.

1. Window near the trunk slightly cracked at the edge.
2. Scuff on the chrome trim.

Wondering if this would be fixed under warrant.

Attachments

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I live close to the service center. Drove there. Unfortunately the technician determined that the glass crack was caused by impact. The replacement will cost $700 including parts and labor. The trim will be replaced for free.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Unfortunately the technician determined that the glass crack was caused by impact. The replacement will cost $700 including parts and labor. The trim will be replaced for free.
Interesting. That's the opposite of what I was expecting.

Check with your insurance company. Most cover windshield repairs, but I'm less certain about the rear window.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I live close to the service center. Drove there. Unfortunately the technician determined that the glass crack was caused by impact. The replacement will cost $700 including parts and labor. The trim will be replaced for free.
Did you get your windows tinted by chance?

Jason F

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That scuff looks to be caused by the window hitting it when closing. There is a thread or two on that problem. Yes they should cover it since caused by a defect. The window depends if it spontaneous cracked or delivered that way. Looks like the technician sees it as caused by environment, although that sounds unlikely given the location of it. However I think unless a scratch or crack is found right at delivery, it is hard to get a warranty repair.

JustTheTip

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Looks like something did indeed hit the glass. Sorry about that. Can't fault Tesla for not covering it. Glad they are going to replace the chrome trim though.

Defjukie

Country
Country
I had the same type of break on my rear windshield. Definitely cause by something hitting it, I'm guessing while loading/unloading the trunk.

It's an unfortunate design, the way the glass is so close to the trunk opening and really has no protection... In fact, it hangs a little further than the structure that supports it underneath. Just begging to get whacked.

What I did was fill in the chip with a windshield repair kit (made most of the "white" disappear), then when that was dry I used black Sugru to fill in and mold the void left by the glass chip. Looks pretty decent, and beats the heck out of a $1000 glass replacement.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
What I did was fill in the chip with a windshield repair kit (made most of the "white" disappear), then when that was dry I used black Sugru to fill in and mold the void left by the glass chip.
If insurance doesn't cover a replacement and you want to try fixing this yourself, I suggest one additional step.
Do you see that one, long crack line emanating upward? That's going to continue to spread if left alone. There's a lot of pressure placed on the glass right at the tip of that crack. Every little bump that the car experiences is going to increase the pressure and cause it to continue growing. That pressure needs to be spread out across a larger area to prevent it from continuing to grow.

To fix this, you need to drill a very small hole right at the tip or just a wee bit beyond it. The pressure will then be spread across the circumference of that hole, rather than right at the tip. Once that is done, use your windshield repair kit to fill in the hole.

Last edited:

Defjukie

Country
Country
If insurance doesn't cover a replacement and you want to try fixing this yourself, I suggest one additional step.
Do you see that one, long crack line emanating upward? That's going to continue to spread if left alone. There's a lot of pressure placed on the glass right at the tip of that crack. Every little bump that the car experiences is going to increase the pressure and cause it to continue growing. That pressure needs to be spread out across a larger area to prevent it from continuing to grow.

To fix this, you need to drill a very small hole right at the tip or just a wee bit beyond it. The pressure will then be spread across the circumference of that hole, rather than right at the tip. Once that is done, use your windshield repair kit to fill in the hole.

Very good pointing. I did not have a crack associated with my chip. But definitely something you want to do. In fact, if mine had a crack I probably would’ve just gotten it replaced.

Last edited by a moderator: