Can this be restored reasonably well?

billionaiire

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Someone hit my car when I was parked and she misjudged her turn trying to park. Thankfully the impact wasn’t amplified by both cars moving - mine was standing and hers was under 10 mph.

I am also able see a hanging conduit and a broken connector that came off the proximity sensor on the rear bumper. The rectangular piece behind the bumper with flaps also fell off (the one that helps air passage upon opening closing doors and trunks). I have the piece.

Car is charging fine but I’m not willing to drive it unless absolutely necessary. The parts will be ordered soon by the Tesla Certified shop as insurance just settled the initial payment of $8000. The shop confirmed that they recently worked on a Pearl White M3 so they should be able to match the shade. The only concern is the wait time for parts. I’ve come to terms with waiting. They’re also going to process diminished value once the repairs are complete.

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on the following:

1) The shop said that the beam under the quarter panel will also need to be replaced along with the quarter panel. Do you think the same? And can they can structurally restore the car to a reasonable state (safety and looks wise)?

2) Once the sensor is fixed, how hard is the calibration? I am guessing that Tesla cannot be the only car utilizing such sensors.
196360d4-ebcd-42c0-9703-f9b05b06c799-jpeg.25989

slotti

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine was the same, just the other side. There is no way they can say if the beam needs replacement without cutting the panel off.
You already have structural damage btw. Model 3 has a unibody construction, replacing the rear quarter panel is considered structural damage. It will repair OK, but if you know what you are looking for, it is easy to spot this repair after. Open the trunk, and you will have rivets on new places from the original, where they rivet in the new panel.
Sensors work fine after. My biggest issue....we had the first rain since my repair two months ago, and I got water into the trunk. Looks like the back of the car got a bit of a deformity, that cannot be seen, but causes the trunk to not seal 100%.

billionaiire

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, sure. If opening the trunk shows me what’s been done, I’m okay with that. What if they open her up and find out that the beam is okay? Should I feel at least a bit better about it?

I guess we will find out how this goes. As of today, we are just waiting for the body shop to receive the payment en route so that they can take the car in, open her up and order parts.

Sounds like two solid reasons not to buy a Tesla/ever again. First the wait for parts and second, the vulnerability. :(

slotti

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Would not agree with the vulnerability part. You have the same on any car. Even parts. My wife's Atlas was in the shop for 10 weeks because they could not get a part.

billionaiire

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Would not agree with the vulnerability part. You have the same on any car. Even parts. My wife's Atlas was in the shop for 10 weeks because they could not get a part.
Maybe. But every little incident doesn’t have to feel like a punishment to own it :)

slotti

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If you get hit by someone else....it always feels like a punishment. Stupid insurance system over here. You can go for diminished value, but it is very tough to get anything that is worth the hassle. I am originally from Germany, if you get hit by someone else over there, the insurance automatically pays diminished value, no question asked.

billionaiire

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I see. Thus far their insurance has been nothing less than outstanding. They just looked at the photos and the initial quote and issued the payment within two days of the incident. The diminished value payout may not be enough to make me whole if I end up selling the car, but it is better than nothing. And if I end up keeping the vehicle, it is always handy to have some disposable money (for the next incident) :p

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The biggest issue is parts. Long story short, Tesla’s part fulfillment facility is running weeks behind. Hopefully it’s a little faster now and also would be ideal if they don’t need to do a software update on the sensor replacement (not sure on that one). First piece of advice is to see if Tesla has their own shop in your area as they will most assuredly get parts faster or ideally already have them.

Here is my video:

tivoboy

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Does anyone know what structurally there is right in the center back of the REAR bumper? Someone just hit me from behind at intersection, seems a bit more than just superficial buffing, but I'm more concerned with anything STRUCTURAL that could be damaged. What is back there, center rear and low.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone know what structurally there is right in the center back of the REAR bumper? Someone just hit me from behind at intersection, seems a bit more than just superficial buffing, but I'm more concerned with anything STRUCTURAL that could be damaged. What is back there, center rear and low.
here's the diagram showing the various types of metal

billionaiire

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
that does not look like a 10mph misjudgment parking wreck. I would expect to see a scuff and little paint transfer
Ugh yeah I guess you’re right. We weren’t even around when it happened so I can only guess.

I’m hoping that they don’t find damage to the beam and/or are able to fix the quarter panel dents without replacing it. But I know it’s probably unlikely. I know for a fact that the bumper has to be replaced along with the sensors.

slotti

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Funny part, the bumper might actually be reconditioned. Hard to believe, but those are easier to fix and insurance companies don't like to replace them. Talk to your shop and make sure they push for the replacement.
The panel will mist likely have to be replaced. You can try pulling it out, but you won't get it back into perfect shape. It is a toss up, if you rather have a panel that might not be 100% correct in shape, or have a new replacement panel.

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think I'd drive it while waiting for parts. You could ask service center what they think. And possibly just fix the sensor initially to make the car happy.

Good luck. We share your pain.

jsanford

Eloise the 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Go over your paperwork for your estimate and final in detail, and know your rights if they overcharge your insurance company or find work in addition to the estimate. My experience with the front office of my local certified Tesla body shop wasn’t great (their work was awesome, though).

As for parts, I experienced no delay back in March, and just today called about a new seat switch assembly for the front seat after a relative broke it. It was actually in stock and we pick it up tomorrow—can’t be any easier than that. Either Tesla is stepping up their game or I got lucky twice.

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Funny part, the bumper might actually be reconditioned. Hard to believe, but those are easier to fix and insurance companies don't like to replace them. Talk to your shop and make sure they push for the replacement.
The panel will mist likely have to be replaced. You can try pulling it out, but you won't get it back into perfect shape. It is a toss up, if you rather have a panel that might not be 100% correct in shape, or have a new replacement panel.
Agree. That bumper looks repairable. My was repaired and repainted last summer. It had a full imprint of the front license plate that rear ended me. Plus a bunch of chips. Came out mint.

billionaiire

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The ultrasonic sensor connector inside the driver rear bumper has broken, rendering the Autopilot as well as proximity sensing when parking useless. That definitely needs replacement. The car drives fine otherwise.

The quote I received included all OEM parts replacement and painting. Nothing will be reconditioned. It is a rather expensive initial payout for the third party but I honestly don’t care. Negligence must compensate.

Now it’s just waiting for the parts.

billionaiire

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Helpful. Thankfully it is not my insurance company that’s paying, so I honestly couldn’t care less about over charging this time.

Go over your paperwork for your estimate and final in detail, and know your rights if they overcharge your insurance company or find work in addition to the estimate. My experience with the front office of my local certified Tesla body shop wasn’t great (their work was awesome, though).

As for parts, I experienced no delay back in March, and just today called about a new seat switch assembly for the front seat after a relative broke it. It was actually in stock and we pick it up tomorrow—can’t be any easier than that. Either Tesla is stepping up their game or I got lucky twice.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think I'd drive it while waiting for parts. You could ask service center what they think. And possibly just fix the sensor initially to make the car happy.

Good luck. We share your pain.
The challenge with that is that the shop has to remove everything to get their parts order right. Could be a pain to have them do that and then put it back together for the interim. If doable, this advice is perfect as driving around in a gas car for weeks is horrible!

mswlogo

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The challenge with that is that the shop has to remove everything to get their parts order right. Could be a pain to have them do that and then put it back together for the interim. If doable, this advice is perfect as driving around in a gas car for weeks is horrible!
For that little amount of damage I wouldn't think so. But possible.