Camping mode

Mnimocks

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Anyone know anything about the rumored camping mode for Model S/X and whether or not it is available in Model 3?

akomlik

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In lack of proper camp mode is there a way to keep the car heating/AC, media and USB power working through the night?

I tested this in my garage past night and when I lay on folded back seats the car considers itself un occupied and shuts off all systems. Few things I tried:
  • turn AC on from iPhone app. It worked but only for 30 min. Even this is not an option when in remote location without coverage as the app can not control the car beyond basic lock/unlock
  • get in using driver door: all systems working and screen is lit. Set screen brightness to 0% (its still not black) and then crawl to back seats. Lay there and all works for a while then again times out and shuts off.
  • keep one of the doors crack open. not a good option really.
Not camping but related use case:
I like to work on my laptop in the back seat (tinted back windows to make it easier) while wife drives the car. When we stop and she gets out the car thinks no one is inside and shuts of media center, USB power and AC. This is not acceptable. Any way to get around?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I like to work on my laptop in the back seat (tinted back windows to make it easier) while wife drives the car. When we stop and she gets out the car thinks no one is inside and shuts of media center, USB power and AC. This is not acceptable. Any way to get around?
Have you considered telling your wife that you were hiding in the back seat?

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In lack of proper camp mode is there a way to keep the car heating/AC, media and USB power working through the night?

I tested this in my garage past night and when I lay on folded back seats the car considers itself un occupied and shuts off all systems. Few things I tried:
  • turn AC on from iPhone app. It worked but only for 30 min. Even this is not an option when in remote location without coverage as the app can not control the car beyond basic lock/unlock
  • get in using driver door: all systems working and screen is lit. Set screen brightness to 0% (its still not black) and then crawl to back seats. Lay there and all works for a while then again times out and shuts off.
  • keep one of the doors crack open. not a good option really.
Not camping but related use case:
Darn it! Back on 10.5 or thereabouts I had an instance (replicated once more) where the AC didn't shut off automatically after 30 minutes. I thought we had sorta-camper mode as a result. Sounds like we're back to the 30 minute limit? I haven't tested that option since the update.
:(

You could always just tap on the screen to keep the car awake, as it doesn't sound like there's much else we can do at this time. I do wish they'd add camper/stay on mode soon.

akomlik

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Darn it! Back on 10.5 or thereabouts I had an instance (replicated once more) where the AC didn't shut off automatically after 30 minutes. I thought we had sorta-camper mode as a result. Sounds like we're back to the 30 minute limit? I haven't tested that option since the update.
:(

You could always just tap on the screen to keep the car awake, as it doesn't sound like there's much else we can do at this time. I do wish they'd add camper/stay on mode soon.
The screen goes dark and does not react to any touches. No cell coverage so can not use all the great apps out there.
I'd like to keep sleeping rather than touching screens, opening doors, etc.

Sounds like laying in reclined front seat is the only option to rest trough the night. I'm at the age where I need more comfort to actually sleep ;-)

kzod

Country
Country
SO, if you were actually camping and still had cell service would any of those apps work on the model 3? I thought I read that outside apps can't communicate with the 3 yet.

akomlik

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Possible hack - I left something in my front passenger seat today to keep the sun from heating up the black seat. The mirrors never folded, and when I came out three hours later, the car/screen/AC was still on. Didn’t have to precool because it wasn’t hot.
yes, I suspected that'd work. I wonder how heavy this needs to be to trigger the sensor

Update: I just tested by putting 25 lbs bag in the front seat: as soon as I close the door car shuts off ;-(

Last edited:

Triangles

Country
Country
Been looking for info on a camping mode. I saw that at the end of July Elon tweeted about an upcoming "Party" and "Camping" mode. Hopefully this is coming sooner rather than later but I'm not holding my breath. Supposedly as of 2018.18.x software you can keep climate control on until battery reaches 20% by using the phone app and it does not shut off after 30 minutes. I suppose this could be used as a faux camping mode if you put the screen in cleaning mode to turn it off. However it has the drawback of wasting energy on heat if the outside temp drops below the set temperature and what do you do if you are camping somewhere without mobile phone service?

tencate

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I too am looking forward to this mode. I've slept in mine but it was a balmy night with no need for climate control. Snug with both of us in there, but roomy for just one person! :sleeping:

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Remote S App for tesla will let you turn on the HVAC and keep it on indefinitely without the 30min cutoff.