Cameras Disabled After Windshield Replacement

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We just got our car back from Car Crafters in ABQ after a windshield replacement. The rear camera still works fine but the front camera (and the 2 side cameras!) do not. Unfortunately, Car Crafters is closed until Monday, so I've been looking for a way to reset/fix thing myself.

More info: The headlights go on in daylight when set to Auto, even the high beams go on and do not turn off with oncoming traffic. "Cruise control disabled" displays when I try to engage Autopilot. The TeslaCam shows black pictures from all 3 cameras that only use 566 595 bytes. I've spoken Tesla Service and they had me do a Full Reboot, and we tried to Power Down for 2 minutes, to no avail.

Is there some cable I can reach myself and reset, or am I stuck waiting until Monday to get Car Crafters to fix their work? I just hope they haven't really broken something, since service in New Mexico is a pain.

Last edited:

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
We just got our car back from Car Crafters in ABQ after a windshield replacement. The rear camera still works fine but the front camera (and the 2 side cameras!) do not. Unfortunately, Car Crafters is closed until Monday, so I've been looking for a way to reset/fix thing myself.

More info: The headlights go on in daylight when set to Auto, even the high beams go on and do not turn off with oncoming traffic. "Cruise control disabled" displays when I try to engage Autopilot. The TeslaCam shows black pictures from all 3 cameras that only use 566 bytes. I've spoken Tesla Service and they had me do a Full Reboot, and we tried to Power Down for 2 minutes, to no avail.

Is there some cable I can reach myself and reset, or am I stuck waiting until Monday to get Car Crafters to fix their work? I just hope they haven't really broken something, since service in New Mexico is a pain.
Did they get water in the dash, messing up the electronics, maybe? Those seem like bizarre symptoms for a windshield replacement. I'm interested in the outcome since I just got a damaged windshield on Monday.

PS--Are you the gentleman I met Monday evening at the Santa Fe supercharger--Deep Blue Metallic, 18" aeros, cracked windshield?

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did they get water in the dash, messing up the electronics, maybe? Those seem like bizarre symptoms for a windshield replacement. I'm interested in the outcome since I just got a damaged windshield on Monday.

PS--Are you the gentleman I met Monday evening at the Santa Fe supercharger--Deep Blue Metallic, 18" aeros, cracked windshield?
I have to chime in here, I've heard from my detailer that water intrusion from a windshield tint job from another outfit caused a complete short of the screen electronics requiring a replacement not covered under warranty. Tesla will be able to tell if that's the case but make an appointment with them to see what the issue is.

JasonF

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have to chime in here, I've heard from my detailer that water intrusion from a windshield tint job from another outfit caused a complete short of the screen electronics requiring a replacement not covered under warranty. Tesla will be able to tell if that's the case but make an appointment with them to see what the issue is.
Now that I’ve seen Model 3 disassembly videos, I know how that can happen - the MCU/AP computer are mounted on the inside of the firewall. On top of the dash are defrost vents and speakers, both of which are basically holes covered with mesh, and not designed to have water poured into them. If pour enough water down there it could run down the firewall and into the computer.

What’s odd is nobody thinks about that in other cars, even though quite a few of them mount the engine computer on the passenger side firewall, or behind the center console. Maybe it’s because most cars put the defrost vents further aft.

As for the OP: I have never seen a windshield replacement use water. I have, however, seen it require all of the windshield mounted stuff to be unplugged and moved away, because they do use a mallet liberally, and a prying tool, and they don’t want to damage stuff that’s too close to the glass. So most likely they either forgot to plug the front cameras back in, or they only plugged in one of multiple connectors.

How can that affect the side cameras? There might be something in the software which uses all 3 as a set, and if one of them fails (especially if it’s the front one) the process dies, and you get no video from any of them. Or they could be daisy chained together on the power harness.

ravisorg

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can’t comment on the side cameras because that’s strange that a windshield replacement would affect them, so maybe some of the other comments here are on re the water shorting out.

But for the front cameras, I’ve heard that part of the reason the windshields on cars with front facing cameras are expensive to replace is the cameras need to be fully recalibrated with new glass. So that might be part of it.

mnsweeps

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
@ravisorg .
The recalibration may not be true. I tinted my entire windshield here in California and the front cameras and AP works just fine.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well, much to my surprise, this morning everything was working again, after the car sat overnight. Lights, Dashcam, Sentry, Autopilot all seem fine once again. Maybe something did get wet and then dried out? No idea!

P.S. Correction: Those empty .mp4 files were 595 bytes, not 566.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm afraid not. But given how hard it was to get replacement glass, and the number of rocks on NM roads, it won't surprise me if cracked windshields aren't rare around here. Ours was cracked on 1/16 and repaired on 5/31. We did switch from Safelite to Car Crafters after a few months, on 4/9, since Safelite seemed clueless about expediting the part.

Dr. J

Private
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm afraid not. But given how hard it was to get replacement glass, and the number of rocks on NM roads, it won't surprise me if cracked windshields aren't rare around here. Ours was cracked on 1/16 and repaired on 5/31. We did switch from Safelite to Car Crafters after a few months, on 4/9, since Safelite seemed clueless about expediting the part.
OK, then, can you share details like the cost and whether the new windshield was Tesla branded?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
OK, then, can you share details like the cost and whether the new windshield was Tesla branded?
We did get a Tesla branded windshield. It took almost 2 months to show up. The price for that was $585.00, there was also a $30.00 "Glass Kit" and 4 hours of labor at $135/hr. for the glass, 2 hours for calibrating the camera, and 1 hour for "Post-repair scan", for a total of $1,682.85 with tax. That seems kind of extreme to me, but this was insured, so we didn't negotiate the price.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
P.S. Correction: Those empty .mp4 files were 595 bytes, not 566.
Glad this 595-byte dashcam file issue fixed itself on its own... You're the only other person I know of that has had it. I had this problem for the entire time I was on 2019.8.5, and no combination of reboots and power offs fixed it. As soon as the next firmware update hit (2019.12.1.2), it was fixed.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Glad this 595-byte dashcam file issue fixed itself on its own... You're the only other person I know of that has had it. I had this problem for the entire time I was on 2019.8.5, and no combination of reboots and power offs fixed it. As soon as the next firmware update hit (2019.12.1.2), it was fixed.
FWIIW, I'm on 2019.16.2, and have been for a while.