Calling all 3 reservationists who want the White Interior

John Slaby

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have asked Tesla about adding an option in the Configurator 'Hold' page to indicate you are waiting for the white interior, or at least to have an 'Other' category that you could use. As I know there are others like me, I wanted a way to let Tesla know the level of interest in the white interior. Their response was, as you might expect, less than helpful:

"If there is no place to indicate that you are waiting for a white interior then at this time we are only interested in the preferences listed. Please feel free to reach out to feedback@tesla.com if you would like to state your interest for the white interior."

So, I am reaching out to all of you who want the white interior to send a message to feedback@tesla.com letting them know of your interest. At least this way, we can begin to build a case for sooner rather than later.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have asked Tesla about adding an option in the Configurator 'Hold' page to indicate you are waiting for the white interior, or at least to have an 'Other' category that you could use. As I know there are others like me, I wanted a way to let Tesla know the level of interest in the white interior. Their response was, as you might expect, less than helpful:

"If there is no place to indicate that you are waiting for a white interior then at this time we are only interested in the preferences listed. Please feel free to reach out to feedback@tesla.com if you would like to state your interest for the white interior."

So, I am reaching out to all of you who want the white interior to send a message to feedback@tesla.com letting them know of your interest. At least this way, we can begin to build a case for sooner rather than later.
I have a guess on this... the longer they can push one interior the easier it is for them to produce cars and reach goals 2,500/week, 5,000/week, etc.

I do agree it would make sense to add it to Hold My Place, but then they might not convert as many orders as they can “easily”.

Anyway just a thought...

ng0

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

I hate to be a downer, but I get the feeling white interior is really the least of their worries right now. If I were tesla I'd add the option on the white interior on the "estimator" page with an estimate of early 2019. I'd rather they get to the 5k/week production rate ASAP and not worry about SR, white interior, dual motor or anything else. They could bail on any other configuration options and I'm sure they could still have plenty of people on the wait list for a good year or two. I know a lot of people will hate me saying that, but I think it would help Tesla and help more people get the car quicker.

That being said, I think they'll focus on SR/non-PUP before anything else. At some point Tesla has to prove that they are in fact selling an "affordable" luxury car. So until they actually sell the first 35K car, they don't have one yet.

Alighieri256

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Done. Let's hope it's sooner rather than later.

Do you guys think the white interior option will happen before the dual motor option? What about the std. battery option?
Indications have been very consistent that the 'standard' battery will come before (likely well before) dual motors. I would expect different interiors to be concurrent with SR. Might be able to order near the end of Q1.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
I have a guess on this... the longer they can push one interior the easier it is for them to produce cars and reach goals 2,500/week, 5,000/week, etc.

I do agree it would make sense to add it to Hold My Place, but then they might not convert as many orders as they can “easily”.

Anyway just a thought...
I don't think color change will slow production at all. It's not something like PUP or dual motor that needs extra wiring and changing settings on the assembly robots. White interior is more analogous to different size wheels. Feed the robot the part and it will install it. It doesn't care what color. They already have the material from the S/X so it's a matter of the upholstery dept doing it with different material or ordering it differently from a subcontractor.

If anything, I think it would benefit Tesla to start the white option sooner as it is a $3,300 option for the S/X so would likely be at least $2000-$2500 if not the same amount on the 3 (exterior paint option is the same $1000 price). More money is something Tesla won't refuse.

Gorillapaws

Country
Country
Indications have been very consistent that the 'standard' battery will come before (likely well before) dual motors. I would expect different interiors to be concurrent with SR. Might be able to order near the end of Q1.
I hope you’re right. I worry that “production hell” has forced Tesla to alter the sequence of option availability release. I really hope I’m not forced to choose between full tax credit and white interior. I would hate to have a black interior during the brutal Virginia summers.

Alighieri256

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I hope you’re right. I worry that “production hell” has forced Tesla to alter the sequence of option availability release. I really hope I’m not forced to choose between full tax credit and white interior. I would hate to have a black interior during the brutal Virginia summers.
Indeed. Black leather is just the pits from the get go. Especially if you're fond of ladies in skirts.

In any case, the dual motor version requires a whole new motor and everything to support it. The standard battery just has a subset of cells removed. It's a much easier configuration change in terms of design, testing, and parts availability. Also, the delivery estimator states that AWD will be available with either 220 or 310 miles range, which somewhat suggests that they'd expect either to be available at that release.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Done. I agree that they'll only offer white when they don't have such an absolute demand for the First Production config, but I'd love to get it. At least a realistic estimate. I might hold my place in line until Q2 or something, depending on the tax credit situation.

It also doesn't help my state has a tax credit will run out soon too. I may 'settle' for black.

Dangermouse

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't think color change will slow production at all. It's not something like PUP or dual motor that needs extra wiring and changing settings on the assembly robots. White interior is more analogous to different size wheels. Feed the robot the part and it will install it. It doesn't care what color. They already have the material from the S/X so it's a matter of the upholstery dept doing it with different material or ordering it differently from a subcontractor.

If anything, I think it would benefit Tesla to start the white option sooner as it is a $3,300 option for the S/X so would likely be at least $2000-$2500 if not the same amount on the 3 (exterior paint option is the same $1000 price). More money is something Tesla won't refuse.
Agree on the first part - white interior is only eight or nine parts (seats, four door panels, dash)...easy to change one ingredient in the recipe as it were.

Hoping the second part is off tho - S and X have upgraded white and black for the same cost, and I’m expecting that here too.

PTC Gator

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
At some point Tesla has to prove that they are in fact selling an "affordable" luxury car. So until they actually sell the first 35K car, they don't have one yet.
I don't think they ever intended to make an affordable luxury car. I could be wrong, but I thought the goal was to make a mass market EV? The fact that it's comparable to the lower end "luxury" cars is due to, well, it's a Tesla.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wanted to double check before replying but Tesla is down for maintenance.

Is the upgrade price for white the same as premium black interior?

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wanted to double check before replying but Tesla is down for maintenance.
Is the upgrade price for white the same as premium black interior?
Yes, Black Premium and White Premium are the same price ($3300), along with all of the other premium interiors except for Classic Black, which is $3200 for some reason.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, Black Premium and White Premium are the same price ($3300), along with all of the other premium interiors except for Classic Black, which is $3200 for some reason.
Thanks for confirming! Given that PUP includes “premium black”, I’m inclined to say white interior once available is at no extra cost.

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Thanks for confirming! Given that PUP includes “premium black”, I’m inclined to say white interior once available is at no extra cost.
I see your point and I have agree (and hope) that you’re right. I forget that the first production models already have “premium seating surfaces throughout” in PUP. That helps my cost calculations.