Caliper covers: tacky?

msjulie

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've always heard that these keep in heat - so if you never track the car or drive roads that long brake applications/hot calipers may result then maybe they are ok?

Seems a little pricey for me...

ppower

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yes, they are Pep Boys accessory TACKY, and I don't care stepping on toes on this. The DUMBEST is to put covers over the front calipers. Caliper covers are to make your sliding calipers look like fixed calipers which are already on the front. Just paint them. For the rears, paint them as well, and you can even paint the back side of the brake pad. It's great that people are become car enthusiasts for the first time. Stereotypes are forming. I don't want Tesla owners to be those guys that just put on silly things like these. They're even really expensive for what they are. Buy a $40 paint kit, and just paint away. If you get paint on the disc, it will just scrape off the next time you hit the brakes.

jlquinn

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just saw caliper covers on a Jeep the other day and they looked rather fake to me.

Hiep Dao

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
There’s a place called NV coatings in Northern VA that does it for $400-500 was my quote. Is it normal that they won’t take the calipers off the car when they do it? I think maybe they powder coat it, whatever that means. Also, they won’t provide the white Tesla decal....do you guys know where I can get a good quality decal that won’t get destroyed on the caliper? Should they be made of a certain material? How will red calipers look on 18” TST Sportsline turbine space gray wheels on a blue model 3? Thanks!

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I think the main issue is - if you want to properly paint your calipers and maintain the Tesla logo, it can get quite pricy (especially in NY).

Perscitus

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've used Caliper covers on 2 cars in the past - mind you - in stealth silver or black with no logos or other marks.

In retrospect, yes, they are a bit tacky, but more importantly they restrict your access to inspect the brakes and over time
(say 2-3 Winters) start to rust, squeak, come loose, etc. I'd stay away or remove and return.