California HOV Process?

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Does anyone know if Tesla is processing the order for the HOV stickers in California? Given production hell I'm imaging they are not pre-ordering them like many Dealerships here do... when I got my e-golf it was already ordered, I just had to pick it up a few weeks later.

Just curious what the process is with Tesla for those that have been through it.

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone know if Tesla is processing the order for the HOV stickers in California? Given production hell I'm imaging they are not pre-ordering them like many Dealerships here do... when I got my e-golf it was already ordered, I just had to pick it up a few weeks later.

Just curious what the process is with Tesla for those that have been through it.
In California you can NOT apply for HOV stickers without a VIN

Simon Says

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Wow if that is the case really not cool - I wonder who in California had this great idea. Maybe it's time we all get acquainted with our local legislators.

Simon Says

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Ok so I am looking at the application on:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...8e5-aa04-12f472ef97b4/reg1000.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

This is the statement:

For a vehicle purchased on or after January 1, 2018, the Department of Motor Vehicles cannot issue a clean air decal to an applicant who has received a consumer rebate, nor can an applicant participate in both the Clean Air Decal Program and the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project, pursuant to California Vehicle Code (CVC) §5205.5, unless the income restrictions for tax returns falls below: $150,000 for a single person, $204,000 for a head of household, and $300,000 for a joint tax return.

Maybe I am reading it wrong but it seems if your income is below the threshold you can participate to both but if you bust the max income threshold then you can only have one or the other. maybe there is an attorney in the forum that can interpret this better than me :S

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No you need a plate number. HOV sticker can’t be issued without the plate as the paperwork accompanying the sticker needs it on file.
Thanks. Then I have to patient to get the plate first.
I wonder if I'd like to apply for a personalized plate (like 1969 legacy one) do I have to wait for the default/random plate delivered first and then apply for a personalized plate at DMV website (then go to DMV office to exchange) or I can apply for a personalized plate before the car is delivered?

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks. Then I have to patient to get the plate first.
I wonder if I'd like to apply for a personalized plate (like 1969 legacy one) do I have to wait for the default/random plate delivered first and then apply for a personalized plate at DMV website (then go to DMV office to exchange) or I can apply for a personalized plate before the car is delivered?
If you don't already have the personalized plate, Tesla will only do the registration for the default/random plate and you have to take care of switching and applying for the personalized plate after your car is delivered. This is what they advised my friend who took delivery and wanted a personalized plate as well. Info was current as of December 2017.

I don't know what happens though if you already have a personalized plate on a different car and just want it switched.

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On the application which option do you choose? Because I thought you're supposed to get a white sticker, yet the only option is ULEV.

I'm guessing it's ZEV, but just wanted to be sure. Thanks!

2018-02-20_9-26-21-png.5826

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On the application which option do you choose? Because I thought you're supposed to get a white sticker, yet the only option is ULEV.

I'm guessing it's ZEV, but just wanted to be sure. Thanks!

View attachment 5826
Hmm looks like they changed the form a bit. For reference here's ours which I applied to in Nov. 2017:

Based on the info below, I'd say just check the ZEV box because ULEV is for vehicles before 2004 (source):
White CAV decals are issued according to the following criteria:
  • A vehicle that meets California's super ultra-low emission vehicle (SULEV) standard for exhaust emissions and the federal inherently low-emission vehicle (ILEV) evaporative emission standard. This includes certain zero-emission vehicles (ZEVs). Vehicles that meet these requirements are certified pure zero emission vehicles (100% battery electric and hydrogen fuel cell). Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) and compressed natural gas (CNG) fueled vehicles also qualify for white CAV decals.
  • A 2004 model-year or older vehicle that meets the California ultra-low emission vehicle (ULEV) standard for exhaust emissions and the federal ILEV standard.

Spiffywerks

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hmm looks like they changed the form a bit. For reference here's ours which I applied to in Nov. 2017:
View attachment 5827

Based on the info below, I'd say just check the ZEV box because ULEV is for vehicles before 2004 (source):
White CAV decals are issued according to the following criteria:
  • A vehicle that meets California's super ultra-low emission vehicle (SULEV) standard for exhaust emissions and the federal inherently low-emission vehicle (ILEV) evaporative emission standard. This includes certain zero-emission vehicles (ZEVs). Vehicles that meet these requirements are certified pure zero emission vehicles (100% battery electric and hydrogen fuel cell). Liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) and compressed natural gas (CNG) fueled vehicles also qualify for white CAV decals.
  • A 2004 model-year or older vehicle that meets the California ultra-low emission vehicle (ULEV) standard for exhaust emissions and the federal ILEV standard.
Thank You! I downloaded the form from the DMW Website: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...8e5-aa04-12f472ef97b4/reg1000.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

It's also the link given to you on an info sheet that Tesla provides upon delivery. I just wasn't sure about which option to choose.

OneSixtyToOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't know what happens though if you already have a personalized plate on a different car and just want it switched.
To transfer a personalized plate you need to fill out the CA DMV Special Interest Licences Plate Application and check the "Reassign, Retain, Release Interest" box. It requires a current license plate on the car you are transferring to and VIN to process the transfer.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...;CACHEID=6d97bdef-c5b1-46ee-a558-28ab938e4ec3

Ok so I am looking at the application on:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...8e5-aa04-12f472ef97b4/reg1000.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

This is the statement:

For a vehicle purchased on or after January 1, 2018, the Department of Motor Vehicles cannot issue a clean air decal to an applicant who has received a consumer rebate, nor can an applicant participate in both the Clean Air Decal Program and the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project, pursuant to California Vehicle Code (CVC) §5205.5, unless the income restrictions for tax returns falls below: $150,000 for a single person, $204,000 for a head of household, and $300,000 for a joint tax return.

Maybe I am reading it wrong but it seems if your income is below the threshold you can participate to both but if you bust the max income threshold then you can only have one or the other. maybe there is an attorney in the forum that can interpret this better than me :S
Thanks for the post. I am above the single person but below the joint return total, perfect.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How long are these HOV stickers valid for ?
Quote from site: Currently, there are two types of Clean Air Vehicle Decals being distributed by the DMV, White and Green. Both expire on January 1, 2019. Per Assembly Bill 544, a new program will begin on January 1, 2019 that extends this program and allows those with a Clean Air Vehicle Decal issued from January 1, 2017 - December 31, 2018, to apply for a new Clean Air Vehicle Decal that will expire on January 1, 2022. There are income requirements and other details regarding this new program, which can be found at https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/fact-sheets/californias-clean-air-decals
(source).