California Earthquakes

Brokedoc

Kick-Gas Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
As enjoyable as California is to go on vacation, now I remember why I don't want to move there. Two small quakes in Calif today centered less than 20 miles from the Tesla factory, largest 3.9.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/weath...n-jose-area-hours-apart/ar-BBHoSRG?li=BBnbfcL

Elon has enough on his plate trying to ramp up without Mother Nature messing with things!!!! Hopefully the robots didn't need re-calibration.

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Meh, that's barely even worth mentioning. Amusingly though, when I did my factory tour, the guy *claimed* that the stamping press caused some concern amongst seismologists until they learned to recognize its signature, and allegedly at first even caused somebody to call Tesla and say "so apparently there's a quake that just happened right under your factory".

Can't speak to the truth, but fun to picture.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
3.9 is not large enough to even get people's attention here in Portland (where everyone is hyper sensitive and waiting for THE big one) let alone in the bay area. I wouldn't worry too much until up at 5.0+ (from my experience of multiple 3.0-4.5 here and the 6.8 in Seattle)

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
3.9 is not large enough to even get people's attention here in Portland (where everyone is hyper sensitive and waiting for THE big one) let alone in the bay area. I wouldn't worry too much until up at 5.0+ (from my experience of multiple 3.0-4.5 here and the 6.8 in Seattle)
We had a little one here recently near my office when I was on a video conf call with my NYC team and I said "I'm legitimately not sure if we just had an earthquake or if someone just dropped something really heavy on the other side of this wall", and they all stared in horror at the idea of that. East coasters, I tell ya…

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Meh, that's barely even worth mentioning. Amusingly though, when I did my factory tour, the guy *claimed* that the stamping press caused some concern amongst seismologists until they learned to recognize its signature, and allegedly at first even caused somebody to call Tesla and say "so apparently there's a quake that just happened right under your factory".

I have a factory tour coming up soon ... will try to pay close attention for a rumbling floor ;)

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

This is true. A friend and longtime Tesla employee told me this story a while back. Apparently the folks in Berkeley (or wherever the quake monitoring place is) were worried about the small but regular quakes happing in the vicinity. It was only when they got in touch with Tesla and put two and two together that they realized it was the newly-activated Schuler Press. :D

Last edited:

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
similarly, there was a 4.0 here about 2 weeks ago when I was driving home. Didn't feel anything and asked my dad at Christmas (who is pretty close to it's center) if he did and he had no idea there was one.

for that matter, the 6.8 in seattle (which for those playing along, the SFO world series quake was 6.9 and the Northridge was 6.7) was devastating in SoDo where my office was, but got home to my apartment that was closer to it's center that night and there was not a single thing overturned or disrupted. So soil makes a huge difference.

Prodigal Son

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is true. A friend and longtime Tesla employee told me this story a while back. Apparently the folks in Berkeley (or wherever the quake monitoring place is) were worried about the small but regular quakes happing in the vicinity. It was only when they got in touch with Tesla and put two and two together that they realized it was the newly-activated Schuyler Press. :D
Hah. That jibes pretty well with how it was told to us.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
If the quake doesn't cause items to fall out of our cabinets or is below 5.0, we generally don't give it too much attention. There are the occasional "Did you feel that" conversations that pops up on facebook feeds every now and again, but we are somewhat used to it. We have earthquakes in the 2-3.0 range almost every day but are too small to really be felt most of the time.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ditto. Last one we felt legitimately worried about was the 2014 Napa quake which registered 6.0.

I’m always conflicted though with reacting to small quakes because the Bay Arean in me thinks “meh, small one” and at the same time “one day it WON’T be a small quake and you better not be so blasé about it, missy!”

mkg3

Country
Country
As enjoyable as California is to go on vacation, now I remember why I don't want to move there. Two small quakes in Calif today centered less than 20 miles from the Tesla factory, largest 3.9.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/weath...n-jose-area-hours-apart/ar-BBHoSRG?li=BBnbfcL

Elon has enough on his plate trying to ramp up without Mother Nature messing with things!!!! Hopefully the robots didn't need re-calibration.
LOL, thank you. That's the funniest thing I've read in a while.

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
Lived through my share of earthquakes - if you have to ask: “Was that an earthquake?” then it wasn’t that serious. The magnitude 5 and above earthquakes are so obviously earthquakes that you are standing in the doorframe without remembering how you got there..inside two seconds.

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I remember the first time I felt an earthquake while outside sitting on the ground at the Berkeley Botanical Garden.

My brain can handle them when I'm in bed, or inside and can conceivably correlate the motion to something else where I could observe cause and effect (did someone jump, was that a truck diving by, or did someone slam a door really hard?), but I was quite scared when the literal ground beneath me jerked (obviously an earthquake).

Coincidentally, I was next to a grove of quaking aspen.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In 2015 we had a "cluster" of quakes centered less than a mile from our house in the San Francisco Bay Area (Danville). Probably 100+ quakes that were 2.5+, many 3.3+, several 3.5+ over the course of a couple days. Kinda fun. No big deal. Floods, fires, and hurricanes are much scarier.

Petra

Country
Country
I'm visiting my in-laws in the SF bay area (South Bay/San Jose area) and I barely noticed the quake last night--nobody else in the house noticed. Meh.

Ken Voss

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm visiting my in-laws in the SF bay area (South Bay/San Jose area) and I barely noticed the quake last night--nobody else in the house noticed. Meh.
I am a San Francisco Bay Area Native, have lived here all my life, I get a kick out of this.... anything as small as a 3.0 if noticeable at all never causes damage and is typically undetectable. If the group is concerned with California disasters lets focus on wild fires this is where lives and property is lost in California.

Petra

Country
Country
I am a San Francisco Bay Area Native, have lived here all my life, I get a kick out of this.... anything as small as a 3.0 if noticeable at all never causes damage and is typically undetectable. If the group is concerned with California disasters lets focus on wild fires this is where lives and property is lost in California.
Seriously.

I grew up in the SF bay area and moved to SoCal in 2009.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
East coasters, I tell ya…
I was at work during the Great Pittsburgh Earthquake of 2011.

I felt the whole building shift a foot one way, then back. I was on the 6th floor of an older 7-story building, which probably magnified the movement. We all stared at each other for two seconds, with "WTF just happened" expressions on our faces, before it dawned on us that it had to be an earthquake.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/local/penndot-inspects-bridges-after-earthquake-rumbles-/201551370
The magnitude 5 and above earthquakes are so obviously earthquakes that you are standing in the doorframe without remembering how you got there..inside two seconds.
That makes me feel a bit better about freaking out over a 5.8. Thanks! :)