Calculated Range Loss

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey All,

I picked up my P3D+ back in September and I recently noticed a sudden drop in calculated range. I downloaded the data from Stats (amazing app) and saw I went from a peak range of 308mi at 7878 miles on the odometer to just 295mi at 8074 miles on the odometer and it's rarely been over 300mi in the subsequent 500 miles. I'm struggling to understand what happened? I typically only charge to 80% or 90% overnight and I've only supercharged maybe half a dozen times. Has anyone else see a sudden drop under 10k miles? I find it hard to believe the battery has actually lost 5%. Is there a way to reset set the range calculation or is something wrong with my battery.

thanks,
-Erik

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey All,

I picked up my P3D+ back in September and I recently noticed a sudden drop in calculated range. I downloaded the data from Stats (amazing app) and saw I went from a peak range of 308mi at 7878 miles on the odometer to just 295mi at 8074 miles on the odometer and it's rarely been over 300mi in the subsequent 500 miles. I'm struggling to understand what happened? I typically only charge to 80% or 90% overnight and I've only supercharged maybe half a dozen times. Has anyone else see a sudden drop under 10k miles? I find it hard to believe the battery has actually lost 5%. Is there a way to reset set the range calculation or is something wrong with my battery.

thanks,
-Erik
have had a similar drop since 2019.12.x (and last October with 39.7). I expect it will jump back up with a future FW release.
Screen Shot 2019-05-14 at 8.14.42 AM.png

Since the drop with 12.x, I have had a couple small trips, so was able to charge to near 100% and let the battery get down to around 10% and recharge to nearly full again - with no change. (same with the drop last fall... really don't think Tesla's software needs to 'recalibration' charging many have learned from prior EVs).

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks Melinda! I didn't start using Stats until about 4k miles so I'm not sure if I had the same drop in October but it looks like we have the same issue and it probably comes from 2019.12.x. Let's hope the SW engineers fix a few 1's and 0's on the next release to bring it back up.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have noted the same/similar drop in full charge miles from 310 to 298-303 varies by week with rare 100% charge for theoretical re balance only.

I wonder if the Stats app/graph is accurate and how exactly its calculated since it varies from charge to charge even if everything else is relatively static.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I also use stats and noticed mine showing a drop over the winter (from 310 to about 304 now). Every plot point for the last 1000 miles is above the trend line so I expect to see it go back up as we move through the spring.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
have had a similar drop since 2019.12.x (and last October with 39.7). I expect it will jump back up with a future FW release.
View attachment 25900

Since the drop with 12.x, I have had a couple small trips, so was able to charge to near 100% and let the battery get down to around 10% and recharge to nearly full again - with no change. (same with the drop last fall... really don't think Tesla's software needs to 'recalibration' charging many have learned from prior EVs).
Your plot is really interesting. The step changes are very distinct and nice to see that it did return to normal last time. But I have to say I’ve seen no change whatsoever in the scaled up full range with any of the firmware updates. I started with 2018.42.4 in November so could have missed the first snafu you experienced. But I just reviewed my 17 charges since I received 2019.12 (I first got 12.nothing and then got 12.1.2), and all charges scale up to my normal chatter between 308 and 310. It would seem that there is more going on than just a firmware update, or it is perplexing how they affect different cars in different ways. We both have LR AWD but mine is an October 2018 build.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Your plot is really interesting. The step changes are very distinct and nice to see that it did return to normal last time. But I have to say I’ve seen no change whatsoever in the scaled up full range with any of the firmware updates. I started with 2018.42.4 in November so could have missed the first snafu you experienced. But I just reviewed my 17 charges since I received 2019.12 (I first got 12.nothing and then got 12.1.2), and all charges scale up to my normal chatter between 308 and 310. It would seem that there is more going on than just a firmware update, or it is perplexing how they affect different cars in different ways. We both have LR AWD but mine is an October 2018 build.
the fall one was 2018.39.7 (I installed Oct 13, but drop in range didn't happen until Oct 23), I installed 42.4 on Oct 30, and my range went back up on Nov 3. So even more interesting that in the 39.7 range dip, it was 10 days after the update, but nearly immediately following the new update it went back up. (It still seems like there are some incremental changes that happen within a FW release that we don't have specifics on).

as far as the scaled up full range, it only went to the RWD cars (except @SoFlaModel3's RWD, just because), but not the dual motor cars :(

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
as far as the scaled up full range, it only went to the RWD cars (except @SoFlaModel3's RWD, just because), but not the dual motor cars :(
Just to clarify what I meant by scaled up full range was that when I charge to some percentage, looking at the equivalent 100% charge. So when I charge to 90% and have 279.3 rated miles, that scales up to 310 at 100%. I did have two 100% charges that were 310 rated miles on the dot. The other charges were partial changes, as it should be, but all showed equivalent rated range near 310 miles.

Yes, I’m aware that only the RWD got the jump to 325 miles, but lots of antidotal stories of it not actually increasing, or not that much.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just to clarify what I meant by scaled up full range was that when I charge to some percentage, looking at the equivalent 100% charge. So when I charge to 90% and have 279.3 rated miles, that scales up to 310 at 100%. I did have two 100% charges that were 310 rated miles on the dot. The other charges were partial changes, as it should be, but all showed equivalent rated range near 310 miles.

Yes, I’m aware that only the RWD got the jump to 325 miles, but lots of antidotal stories of it not actually increasing, or not that much.
There was a bug in that update and many RWD cars are still stuck on 310 (mine included as @MelindaV pointed out ;) ) That must indicate that there are hardware variations and the update didn't account for all variants.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
These different graphs are very intriguing to me. Here is mine from Teslafi with absolutely none of the big dips.

70CDE3CA-2E9D-4244-83F8-151027072C48.jpeg
Another difference from those given by @MelindaV and @erock841 is fewer data points, although I’m at slightly more miles (10k milestone hit yesterday!). We do not charge every day and tend to cycle between roughly 90% to 30%. Also over half the miles are road trips with supercharging.

I realize that I’m annoyingly posting about no range loss in a thread about range loss. But I thought it might be a helpful contrary piece of data.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
These different graphs are very intriguing to me. Here is mine from Teslafi with absolutely none of the big dips.

View attachment 25906
Another difference from those given by @MelindaV and @erock841 is fewer data points, although I’m at slightly more miles (10k milestone hit yesterday!). We do not charge every day and tend to cycle between roughly 90% to 30%. Also over half the miles are road trips with supercharging.

I realize that I’m annoyingly posting about no range loss in a thread about range loss. But I thought it might be a helpful contrary piece of data.
interesting... I typically charge each night from 70-85% (on a 50A WC), occasionally times with more miles or not plugging in over night with something closer to 40%-85%, and about 10 short trips of 300-500ish miles using superchargers at least one way where charging would be closer to 10%-85%ish. until 2019.12.x, I'd been pretty steadily getting 262 miles at 85%.
maybe I'll stop plugging in each night and let it drop lower if not needing the range and see if that makes a difference.

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
LR RWD, 9K miles and 12.1.2 is very odd indeed.

1. I can go into a restaurant, have a 1 hour lunch and lose 5 miles without any cabin cooling on.
2. Have lost 5 miles while at dinner for 1hr, 40 mins, at night, no cabin cooling, no sentry either.
3. On 3 occasions, 2 in my garage at night, cabin A/C was cooling full blast, super high speed. Only way to stop it, go in car and manually turn A/C off, leaving it on Auto caused this.

(SC told me all of the above caused by cabin cooling left on, what a crock of BS. And then told me I should turn off battery conditioning too. I asked, where's that in the menu?)

Suspected a loss of range, let car drop to 4%, charged to 100%, stopped at 312 miles. 4% below 325 claim by Elon.
Using HPWC

When car needed a charge, charged it to 90%. It stopped at 281 miles, that's 312 miles at 100%.

Today at work using NEMA 14-50 charged to 90%, stopped at 281 miles. 20 mins later I got into car, it now showed 285 miles. Does that mean 100% is now 316 miles? 3% off.

SC says wait for new updates.

Between the A/C turning itself on for no reason, and the crazy vampire drain at times this release has some issues.
I have never seen this kind of variability, A/C behavior and vampire drain since 12.1.2.

BTW. I also noted that the car's dashcam records for 20 mins after I park it, in my garage. If I go to the car a half hour after parking it, I can see clips for 20 mins since last exit of car. They are in the Recents folder. No, Sentry is not on. I wonder if that has something to do with reduction while parked?

Country
Country
I don't know...

I am on 12.1.2 now have 27,500 miles on my LR 3 ( I know!) and on three recent charges to 90% showed an implied range of 311, 327 and 322. Regardless of recent fluctuations, I am guessing my range drop off is 1-2% but I don't track it except to notice where I charge to.

by way of habits, I drive a lot but only charge over 80% when I know I am going to use the range. I often go days between charges in my regular commute since there is a convenient level 2 charger blocks from my office that is FREEEE. I supercharge only on road trips and RARELY 3 times in the last year?

Since I think the LR even at 325 is software locked, (original EPA range was like 334) I don't believe I have ever effectively charged to 100%.