Cabin Overheat Protection?

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thank you all for your thoughts. Very helpful.

I set the car to charge at 7:30 am, because when I got the car in March, I couldn’t wake it up from its deep sleep so I could preheat the car. Since it wakes up at 7:30 am, I know that I can connect with the app then.
Fair - as of 2019.somethingrecentlike12 firmwares the deep sleep issue should be resolved. You should be able to return to regular charging.

Gordon87

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Fair - as of 2019.somethingrecentlike12 firmwares the deep sleep issue should be resolved. You should be able to return to regular charging.
Well, I turned off the time-set charging yesterday. Can’t wake up the car this morning so the deep sleep problem has not been solved for me. It’s not a problem now, but next winter, I will likely go back to a set timed charge in the morning so I can connect to the car through the app to pre-heat it before driving in cold weather.

Country
Country
One other thing - don't set the charging to begin at 7:30 each day. Leave the time based charging turned off. Plug the car in, set your desired charging limit and let the car decide when to restart the charging as needed to keep it at your desired limit.
I've been using scheduled charging since taking delivery of my 3 last Oct. It was great during the winter. I have it set to charge at 5:00 AM so that it's ready to go by when I leave for work. It also means I don't have to plug/unplug any evening if I want to take the car out for a quick errand etc. Is this something I shouldn't be doing?

I had been using Cabin Overheat Protection since it started getting much warmer and now it's summertime. It's been in the low 90's with the heat index ~ 108 F. COP has kept the car ~ 100 F during the day in the sun while parked outside my office building. There isn't any shade sadly.

After reading about bad smells (odor) coming from vents from others on here it has made me afraid to keep COP set to ON. I've changed the setting to "fan only". Today is the first day and my car is at 125 F.

I had been keeping the AC set to Auto and the climate temp to 70 F. About 10m before I'd leave to go home I'd open the app and turn on climate control, much in the same way I'd do in the winter.

What's the overall thoughts on COP? Keep it set to fan only? I did change from auto to manual and set the fan to 6 and not to recirculate. I'm not sure what's going to happen when I open the app later today and turn on the climate control? Will it reset everything back to auto or keep the fan speed at 6 and just start to cool to 70 F?

Thoughts? Comments?

Appreciate any insights. This is a great community of people. I love my 3.

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
After reading about bad smells (odor) coming from vents from others on here it has made me afraid to keep COP set to ON. I've changed the setting to "fan only". Today is the first day and my car is at 125 F.

I had been keeping the AC set to Auto and the climate temp to 70 F. About 10m before I'd leave to go home I'd open the app and turn on climate control, much in the same way I'd do in the winter.

What's the overall thoughts on COP? Keep it set to fan only? I did change from auto to manual and set the fan to 6 and not to recirculate. I'm not sure what's going to happen when I open the app later today and turn on the climate control? Will it reset everything back to auto or keep the fan speed at 6 and just start to cool to 70 F?

Thoughts? Comments?

I think COP may have been the cause of my bad smell. I talked about it in my post here. I'm using fan-only COP now.

For your other question, when you turn on climate control from the app, the HVAC responds in auto mode to reach the temperature setpoint. Once you go to your car and open the door, the HVAC system will revert to your manual settings, aka fan speed 6 and recirc off. If you pay attention, you can hear the adjustments when you open the door.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've been using scheduled charging since taking delivery of my 3 last Oct. It was great during the winter. I have it set to charge at 5:00 AM so that it's ready to go by when I leave for work. It also means I don't have to plug/unplug any evening if I want to take the car out for a quick errand etc. Is this something I shouldn't be doing?

I had been using Cabin Overheat Protection since it started getting much warmer and now it's summertime. It's been in the low 90's with the heat index ~ 108 F. COP has kept the car ~ 100 F during the day in the sun while parked outside my office building. There isn't any shade sadly.

Thoughts? Comments?

Sounds like the jury may be out still on COH - some believe that may be the cause of their smell - I've been fortunate and have not had a bad AC smell - I keep my COH on all the time.

I want to clarify on my post you quoted. I wasn't clear in my post, but it was a reply to post #136 where the user was using the set charging time in the summer and going to leave the car for a period of time. In that case I would not start it at any given time each day, I would leave it charging at all times and let the car decide when it needs juice. For winter I love the set charging time so it is heated when you are ready to go.

iChris93

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Sounds like using fan only will keep your fan on all day, this time of year, and run your battery down more than the option with AC.

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Fan-only will use much less energy than the A/C option. In order to keep the interior under 100F, the A/C has to run pretty much constantly. If it shuts off, it would take less than a minute to reach the upper setpoint again. I've seen charge time increases of an hour or more on a 3kW circuit back when I was using A/C COP. Based on that I estimate that the A/C option uses about 500W of power on average. Over a full work day that can translate to 3-4kWh. The fan by itself is pretty efficient and does not seem to affect my charging times at 3kW.