Cabin Overheat Protection?

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
No, no dog, no baby, no person or thing that needs to remain cool in the cabin. I'm really wanting to know if I'm damaging any internal parts, the battery, or anything else if I turn off the cabin overheat protection? If I can precondition the car at any point I want prior to getting in and driving, and if there is no downside to the cabin being hot while I'm not in the car, I imagine I'm just wasting energy by using COP.

If the electronics or other parts of the car do need to be kept cool to prolong life and effectiveness, however, then I'll sacrifice some energy to do that.
All other cars get equally hot and seem to survive, but I’m sure you have to be prolonging the internal electronics with cabin overheat protection. I went for the happy medium of on with no a/c.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Perhaps I've missed the answer somewhere (I was out of the country for nearly three weeks recently so haven't kept up on the site), but what is the advantage of the cabin overheat protection? If it only works for 12 hours after you park, clearly it isn't designed to prevent long term high temperatures, which leads to me conclude that it's not going to harm the car if it is hot in the cabin for a day or two, or maybe even longer.

What I'm wondering is, unless you want to try to keep the car somewhat conditioned through the course of a day (perhaps while at work), I get it, but otherwise, is it a problem not to use the overheat protection and to just conserve that energy?
You know one of the main components of accelerated lifespan testing? "Raising the temperature". Components generally have shorter lifespans at higher temperatures, whatever they are - electronics, plastic parts, upholstery, you name it.

How long would you expect your computer and monitor at home, or your cell phone, to last if you put it in a 65°C/150°F broiler all day every day during the summer?

Yes, all car components are tested to guarantee at least a certain minimal acceptable level of longevity in hot conditions, on the assumption that people won't take steps to keep their cars cool. But one presumes that you don't just want a "minimal acceptable level" with your car!

mdfraz

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
In my previous cars I would crack the windows so that the temp in the car wouldn't be much more than the ambient air temp. Even if it gets to 100 degrees outside, the temp in the car with cracked windows shouldn't get much above 110-115 or so (though I admit I've never put a thermometer in my car when I did this), and less if I left the windows open more than an inch or two. Given that I've never had a car that had the capability of keeping itself cool while I wasn't in it, I just wanted to know how critical it would be to use the energy to utilize the COP. I didn't know if this was geared more towards protecting the car and components themselves, or if it was really designed to protect a child, dog, etc. that might be left in the car. I appreciate everyone's comments.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Automotive electronics are usually rated to 100 or 125C and should be fine. It's any consumer products like dashcams or batteries that may not survive the heat. As well as adhesives (like my EZpass predictably falling off the windshield every year). I have plenty of these things in my car, and love the overheat protection. I wish it was two stage with customizable settings, like "turn on the fan above 90F and turn on the AC above 120F."

These temperatures are still not safe for kids or pets. For those, you should be able to permanently leave the normal climate control on set to a typical 70F temp. Still waiting for Model 3 to get camper mode.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just running into this potential question about what is COP really doing & what was it really designed for. I just took ownership of my model 3 Saturday & I'm loving it. However, due to living in FL it does get hot here. I don't leave things in the car, so I don't need it protecting a child or dog that could be left in there that I don't have. The car contain's myself, or the charging cable / owners book's it came with & that's it, so when I'm not in it, there's nothing in it.

I've left the setting at on the past few days as that is what was recommended via the delivery center and have noticed I'm losing ~ 40-50 miles worth of range per day leaving the car parked at the garage where I work. So similar to @mdfraz 's question what am I really gaining by using this setting and what is it really protecting or meant for. I was on the phone with a tesla rep today, and they told me they would research more and call me back.

However, there defiantly is the need to juggle between protecting the overall longevity / usability / quality of the car, and the actual range of the car. Being that I drive 60 miles / day (round trip) to work, this means for every day I go to work I'm losing roughly 1 day's worth of range parking it at work.

I defiantly want to be able to protect the quality & lifespan of the car as it is a big investment, but there is a need to balance protecting it vs being able to drive it @ the range it's rated for. It's great that the car is rated @ 310 miles and when I'm driving it normally I'm at ~ 228wh/mile, but if you realistically are only getting 150miles out of it because it's using the other 150miles worth of charge to protect itself, then the full picture really isn't being told.

KarenRei

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I've left the setting at on the past few days as that is what was recommended via the delivery center and have noticed I'm losing ~ 40-50 miles worth of range per day
That's insane. Please tell me that's not "fan-only". There's no way a fan should use anywhere near that much energy.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's insane. Please tell me that's not "fan-only". There's no way a fan should use anywhere near that much energy.
Thats leaving it at (On), there was (On No A/C) and (Off) also but that ~ 40-50 mile loss / day was at (On) so far right / default setting.

Jayc

Country
Country
The first thing I'm going to do when I get my Model 3 is to switch overheat protection to fan only. And if that consumes more than a couple of miles per hour in the summer, its going to be switched completely off.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Again I don't know if that's the issue or if there's a different underlying problem, but this was one of the 1st things I was directed to & found online so thought I'd see what it's all about and if anyone else noticed it.

webdriverguy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Again I don't know if that's the issue or if there's a different underlying problem, but this was one of the 1st things I was directed to & found online so thought I'd see what it's all about and if anyone else noticed it.
Please power cycle the car and see if the issue goes away. To do that you have to -

Powering off Model 3
1. Vehicle Icon
2. Safety & Security
3. Vehicle Power
4. Power Off

Wait two minutes after powering off the vehicle, then hit the break pedal to wake the vehicle up****

viperd

Country
Country
Please power cycle the car and see if the issue goes away. To do that you have to -

Powering off Model 3
1. Vehicle Icon
2. Safety & Security
3. Vehicle Power
4. Power Off

Wait two minutes after powering off the vehicle, then hit the break pedal to wake the vehicle up****
This is how you turn on deep sleep. I think Matt should power cycle, by pushing in both scroll wheels until the screen goes black.

ADK46

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I own some vintage vehicles. I like cars that have not been “exposed”, by sun, heat, ozone, moisture, rodents, etc. You better believe there is a benefit to avoiding heat, long term. I will even raise the hood after a drive to reduce under-hood temperatures.

My Tesla 3 will be garaged. When I’m about on hot days, the ability to keep it a bit cooler sounds wonderful, even if only with the fan. Better for me, too.

Technical48

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've left the setting at on the past few days as that is what was recommended via the delivery center and have noticed I'm losing ~ 40-50 miles worth of range per day leaving the car parked at the garage where I work.
I live and work in central Florida, and my car is parked outside in the sun. With COP enabled I lose about 10-20 miles a day. If your car is inside a garage out of the sun and losing 40-50 miles that is quite excessive compared to my experience. I would say if the car is out of the sun, COP shouldn't be engaging at all, since ambient temps are below 100F so far this summer.

I tried fan-only COP when I first got the car and range loss was minimal, but of course the interior temperature would go much higher as well. Maybe try fan-only and see what results you get with that?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I live and work in central Florida, and my car is parked outside in the sun. With COP enabled I lose about 10-20 miles a day. If your car is inside a garage out of the sun and losing 40-50 miles that is quite excessive compared to my experience. I would say if the car is out of the sun, COP shouldn't be engaging at all, since ambient temps are below 100F so far this summer.

I tried fan-only COP when I first got the car and range loss was minimal, but of course the interior temperature would go much higher as well. Maybe try fan-only and see what results you get with that?
It's out on the top level of the garage, so no cover. They did tell me it might still be calibrating, so I'm hoping turning it to fan only, power cycling it, and such will solve it, might still go to the service apt. just for peace of mind though to know nothing's wrong with it.

Technical48

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It's out on the top level of the garage, so no cover. They did tell me it might still be calibrating, so I'm hoping turning it to fan only, power cycling it, and such will solve it, might still go to the service apt. just for peace of mind though to know nothing's wrong with it.
Ok, I misunderstood. Even in the sun, 40-50 miles lost seems excessive. I use a sunshade on the front windshield (the largest size from Costco) so maybe that helps in my case.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It seems to be doing better as fan only no ac. The reboot might have helped also. I parked it Saturday night @ 10:02pm with ~264 miles & 87% left, I got back in it this morning for work @ 7:35am and it was down to ~254 miles & 84%. So a loss of ~ 3% or 10 miles for sitting 33 hours & 33 minutes.