Cabin Overheat Protection?

OneSixtyToOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm in a discussion thread on the Tesla Forum as to whether the M3 has Cabin Overheat Protection. Some are claiming it does and their fan comes on, others say no.

Right now it is 68 F outside and my cabin temperature has climbed to 130 F. I see no indication of any overheat protection (documented or undocumented). Is there any? Is my car malfunctioning?

v2018.14.13

OneSixtyToOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I wouldn't want my battery to run down trying to keep the car cool. What would be the safe temperature it would try and keep if this was added?
Model S and X already have this feature. It turns on an external fan at 105 F.
It's a safety feature in case you leave a pet/infant in the car

Does anyone know if it is in the 3?

AdamHolmes

Country
Country
I'm in a discussion thread on the Tesla Forum as to whether the M3 has Cabin Overheat Protection. Some are claiming it does and their fan comes on, others say no.

Right now it is 68 F outside and my cabin temperature has climbed to 130 F. I see no indication of any overheat protection (documented or undocumented). Is there any? Is my car malfunctioning?

v2018.14.13
I don't think it exist now. Maybe they just mean the pre conditioning you can do from the app

Point 3

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Some people are on the forum saying their M3 doesn't go above 105 F. They are not talking about pre-conditioning.

Mine definitely goes above 105, in fact today I got in and saw “no connectivity” and touched the back of the display and it was incredibly hot.
I am wondering if the high temperature is causing the intermittent black screen too.

goto10

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am confident that there is no overheat protection on the Model 3. It's a feature with an enable/disable toggle on the Model S/X and given the power requirement Tesla is not going to force it on. It's possible there's a bug in a version of the software that causes a nascent overheat protection feature to activate on some vehicles, but I am still inclined to believe that the people reporting it are mistaken.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My car hit 130F inside the other day and most days at least reaches 120sF. There is definitely no cabin overheat protection which is different than battery management.

viperd

Country
Country
My car hit 130F inside the other day and most days at least reaches 120sF. There is definitely no cabin overheat protection which is do We know what the car does to keep the battery c
My car hit 130F inside the other day and most days at least reaches 120sF. There is definitely no cabin overheat protection which is different than battery management.
do We know what the car does to keep the battery cool when parked?

Scrutmonkey

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I believe the lower grill area has louvers that open and fans to pull air in to cool the battery. I would imagine it operates when the car is off as well to prevent battery damage.

smak

Country
Country
Couldn't they add "auto pre-conditioning"? When I've seen the inside temperature get to 125-130, and turned on the air, the temp goes down pretty fast. All you'd need is the air to come on for a few minutes.

goto10

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The battery is liquid-cooled and uses the same compressor as the cabin AC system though I believe it's a separate coolant loop. I don't know if it will cool the battery when the car is not started or plugged in for L2+ charging.

Couldn't they add "auto pre-conditioning"? When I've seen the inside temperature get to 125-130, and turned on the air, the temp goes down pretty fast. All you'd need is the air to come on for a few minutes.
That is what cabin overheat protection is and it's available on the Model S and Model X so I suspect a future software update will provide it for the Model 3 as well.

OneSixtyToOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My Leaf had a timer for the HVAC. I use to set it to come on 10 minutes before I left work. Wish Tesla would implement this. In cold weather you could also use this to pre-heat the car every morning.

Maevra

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yesterday the interior temps read 91F and I could hear a fan noise from the car. It's not as loud as Model S/X cars when their cooling systems kick in, but you can hear it if you put your head near the passenger hood area. I doubt that was cabin overheat protection though, as just last week the interior hit 143F. Fan noise was very likely just the battery cooling system.

aquadoggie

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine has been up in the 130s as well. I'm used to it in Texas (can't imagine what the summer will be like), but the back of the screen gets REALLY hot. Surely that can't be good for it.

Rich M

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
How many are using a sun shield? I haven't gone a summer without one. It seems remiss not to use one in a car with this many expensive electronics.