Cabin Camera

jmas24

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Does anyone know whether the tiny camera inside the cabin right above the rear view mirror is functional? Is “big brother” watching our driving behavior, along with our passengers? The owners manual has a reference to “cabin camera” but it’s a dead link.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
As far as we know it is not active. My impression was that it would be used for the Tesla Network should you choose to send your car into the fleet so you could watch people in your car via the app.

MikeATL

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
It might also be used to analyze the drivers actions and determine if they are paying attention.

Dan D

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
By now, I have to think that they are watching us while on Autopilot. This is allowing them to analyze hours and hours of behavioral data that will go into the design of the function of the cockpit cam - which (as discussed elsewhere) will eventually serve as the method our car confirms that we are not asleep and at least semi-paying attention to the road.

Think twice before that next nose-pick - at least when you're cruising along on Autopilot!

1543662685080-png.18399

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The interior camera is not located for its purpose to be driver monitoring. It very likely is intended for future in-attended ride share passenger monitoring (as most of the car was designed for)

Guy Weathersby

The interior camera is not located for its purpose to be driver monitoring. It very likely is intended for future in-attended ride share passenger monitoring (as most of the car was designed for)
It is true that the camera is not well situated for eyeball tracking, but it could be used for other types of distraction monitoring. This would be consistent with Tesla's view of cameras as general purpose sensors. I have no idea if they will do this. They may wish to put all of their effort into advancing Autopilot to the point that driver attention is not an issue.

Pescakl1

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Not in this case lol.

Never seen a photo of Zuckenberg with all the laptops behind him with black tape on the cameras?
Make you think twice about this nice feature from time to time.

Do you like your Alexia from Amazon which listen to you 24/7? o_O

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
came upon this patent and sounds like they are getting close to releasing some functions for the cabin camera

https://patents.justia.com/patent/20190176837

tuned HVAC airflow based on occupant locations, tuned audio based on occupant locations & recognize driver distress (alert emergency response, aid distressed driver in reaching a pre-designated emergency medical facility)

lance.bailey

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
so if you ignore the "put hands back on steering wheel" alerts and the car pulls over to the side they can use the camera to check on you? interesting.

NR4P

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Having a few patents myself, I think this is a very novel patent application. HVAC and Sound aside, claims 4-6 are superb thinking. Not only determine if the driver is in distress, but then the car drives itself to the nearest ER.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Having a few patents myself, I think this is a very novel patent application. HVAC and Sound aside, claims 4-6 are superb thinking. Not only determine if the driver is in distress, but then the car drives itself to the nearest ER.
In case you need more privacy: https://ko.aliexpress.com/item/4000041179381.html?spm=2114.13010708.0.0.13934c4d2aBxjp or this: https://ko.aliexpress.com/item/4000...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_1,searchweb201603_52 They are very small (3 of them) and I installed one on my laptop too.

Last edited: