CA registration renewal

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

EVmatch: the Airbnb of EV charging.

airbutchie

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My first DMV renewal was $628... I expected something high, so I was financially and mentally prepared for the amount... Still love my car!!!

:)

Derik

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That is the theory... The practice in California, could be debated...

Yeah some of the roads I drive on every day are horrible. It would be nice to see that "tax" actually show up in maintaining the roads.

I think I read someplace that the roads in CA are the 4th worse in the US. I think SD is in the top 10 for worst road conditions along with LA and San Francisco.

Aspec818

Country
Country
this has mainly to do with the value of your vehicle. I just got my renewal for $635 in the Bay Area.

MMMGP

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My renewal was $582 for my DM with only PWMC paint as an option. Also in the Bay Area.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That is an insane amount annually. What do you all pay in that fee? Is it a personal property tax? Road Tax? Just simple registration fees?

TX dropped the personal property tax on vehicles years ago and road taxes are paid at the pump (they are trying to pass laws for a flat road tax fee on EV's, but they aren't reasonable about it, they want to charge multiple times what a regular car would pay in taxes at the pump).

At purchase in TX we pay sales tax of 6.25% and every year there after is tag and registration, averages about $70.

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
That is an insane amount annually. What do you all pay in that fee? Is it a personal property tax? Road Tax? Just simple registration fees?

TX dropped the personal property tax on vehicles years ago and road taxes are paid at the pump (they are trying to pass laws for a flat road tax fee on EV's, but they aren't reasonable about it, they want to charge multiple times what a regular car would pay in taxes at the pump).

At purchase in TX we pay sales tax of 6.25% and every year there after is tag and registration, averages about $70.

California has lower property taxes because of Prop 13. So, they make up for it in other ways.

Reactions: 1 person

AEDennis

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks - just opposite for us. No state income tax, lower car registration, and huge property taxes.

yup... the government will get money from its citizens one way or the other...

I’m taking the California side of a little debate at Fully Charged Live North America in Austin on Feb 1 and 2 at Circuit of the Americas (discount code - TeslaOwner - 15% via Tesla Owners Club of Orange County) https://fullycharged.show/events/fully-charged-live-north-america/

fun weekend!

Reactions: 1 person