CA Clean Air Vehicle HOV Decal

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

save_300_dollars_ev_dot_energy

KWATTSN

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
....and be prepared to wait... I'm at the 2 month mark exactly today and no stickers yet (check was cashed a week ago)...
Took mine just over 2 months. Turns out they sent them to the bank that I have my loan with, who then sent it to me. No idea why.

Hugh_Jassol

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Mine just arrived yesterday. Final timeline:
  • 11 FEB 2019 - Mailed application
  • 04 APR 2019 - Check Cashed
  • 11 APR 2019 - Stickers Arrived

Hugh_Jassol

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I thought Tesla will request the CA HOV stickers. Can Anyone confirm if that is true?
Don't know where you heard that.... but nope. You have to wait for your plates to arrive, THEN apply for the HOV decals. Took about 2 weeks from the delivery day until I got the plates. So all-in doing everything the instant I could (i.e., drove the HOV app to the post office the day the plates arrived), took 2.5 months from delivery (Jan 26) to stickers in my posession (April 11).

Reactions: 1 person
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Foreigner butting in

So, when you buy a new car in America, it sound like you have to separately apply for a number plate yourself? Is that because the plate comes with more than just the registration number (i.e. tax too) or is it because it's assigned to the person rather than the car?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Foreigner butting in

So, when you buy a new car in America, it sound like you have to separately apply for a number plate yourself?
Each state controls that process independently, and the rules differ a bit from one to another.

In Pennsylvania, plates can't be transferred from one private owner to another. The buyer of a private-party used car must get a new plate (or transfer a plate that they already possess). When purchasing a new car, the dealer/store already has a few new state plates and they'll put one on for you.

Hugh_Jassol

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Foreigner butting in

So, when you buy a new car in America, it sound like you have to separately apply for a number plate yourself? Is that because the plate comes with more than just the registration number (i.e. tax too) or is it because it's assigned to the person rather than the car?

The answer depends on which state you reside. In California, the plates are issued to the car, and so when you trade in or sell the car, the plates stay with the car. The exception to this is if you have custom vanity plates (the ones where you get to pick what numbers/letters on on it). In that case, you keep the plates and transfer them to your next car, and the purchaser of your car needs to apply for new plates. If you are buying a new car at a dealer, you fill out all of the application for new plates at the dealer when buying the car and they file it for you at the department of motor vehicles and then you will receive them in the mail. The dealer attaches a temporary paper plate to your car that you are required to display until your permanent ones arrive.

My only other data point is Massachusetts (at least 15 years ago), where the plates stay with the person and so if you sell a car to someone, you remove the plates and keep them. You then have 7 days to file a transfer to your new car (if you bought one) or turn them back in. Also, if buying a new car at a dealer (and not trading one in) the dealer sometimes has a "runner" who takes all of your paperwork and goes to the DMV for you and returns with your plates. Sometimes you come pick up the car later that day or the next day.

Basically, it can be different in every state. If buying from a dealer, they usually walk you through the process. If buying from a private citizen, then you have to do some research to know what to do.

RoBoRaT

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Hi!

I previously had custom vanity plates on my old Honda CR-V.

I just received my Tesla Registration + new plates in the mail today. My question is: Do I need to wait until I go to the DMV to register my custom plates to my car before I sign up for the HOV stickers + apply for the California Clean Air Rebate through the DVM, or can I do both with my current registration that I just got in the mail today?

I have an apt at the DMV on Friday to register my custom vanity plates, but I was hoping to get the process started for the HOV stickers + Clean Air Vehicle Rebate now if possible.

Does anyone know?

Thanks!

I sent my CAV application in Feb 9, 2019 using the orig plate number/registration, then I swapped my vanity plates in mid March.

I was worried it will cause problem, but I received the CAV sticker 11 April and a new registration paper with my vanity plate number listed.

It took DMV about 7 weeks when they finally processed (check cashed) my application - I think it is safe to submit the CAV Sticker now and swap plates soon after mailing your sticker application.

RoBoRaT

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Thanks for all the info here - very helpful.

What about the fact the the CA HOV stickers are butt ugly. Seriously, the M3 is such I nice looking car I hate putting, not one, but two ugly ass stickers on it. Anyone have any solutions for easy removal of the HOV stickers. I'm half joking of course, I'm happy to get free use of the HOV lanes for awhile - just wish the stickers were better designed.

The struggle is real, so I used magnets! :p

Drove several hundred miles, speed up to 80+ mph and they did not fall off.

Problem to solve is to have these magnetic decals stick to the "non metallic/magnetic bumper.
So, I will attach another magnet template over a PPF on the bumper, then stick the magnetic decal on days that use the HOV lane - and have only BLACK magnetic pad left when I dont use the decals.

Also, I have Black M3 so having a black magnetic pad (when I remove the magnetic CAV decal) on the lower part of the bumper shouldnt be that bad.

That will be my project this weekend.

20190415_193803.jpg
20190414_184440.jpg

Hugh_Jassol

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I guess I never understood:

1) if they are needed so little that you want to fix magnets to them and scratch your paint by taking them on and off... then why bother in the first place? Seems if they are needed that little - the few times you'd put them on you can just take the delay.

2) If they are truly needed often/daily, why not mount them low and out of the way on the bumper with some PPF?

IMO, the cure is worse than the disease.

IMG_0473.png

When standing near/around the car you can hardly see it because it's on the part that "curls under"

RoBoRaT

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I guess I never understood:

1) if they are needed so little that you want to fix magnets to them and scratch your paint by taking them on and off... then why bother in the first place? Seems if they are needed that little - the few times you'd put them on you can just take the delay.

2) If they are truly needed often/daily, why not mount them low and out of the way on the bumper with some PPF?

IMO, the cure is worse than the disease.

View attachment 24894

When standing near/around the car you can hardly see it because it's on the part that "curls under"

I drive in HOV lane 5 days a week about 40 miles round trip. I want a semi permanent mount so that I can easily remove these purple stickers on days that I don't need them.

End result: low mount on bumper on weekdays, gloss black paint on weekends. Takes 2 seconds to mount/dismount these puppies.

20190423_192330.jpg
20190423_192449.jpg

David3

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
When you apply for the HOV decal can you use the temporary plate # or you need to wait until the permanent plate?

iPlug

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
When you apply for the HOV decal can you use the temporary plate # or you need to wait until the permanent plate?
I filed for the decals with my temporary plate number on 3/27/2019 soon after getting the Model 3 and the check was cashed 5/15/2019. So if the decals are mailed in the expected few days from now, looks like temporary plate # will work.

iPlug

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Update
Officially confirmed temporary plate # will work:

5/23/2019: stickers arrived in USPS mail
5/15/2019: check cashed by DMV
3/27/2019: filed for the decals with temporary plate number soon after getting the Model 3

Achooo

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Has anyone applied for clean air vehicle decals lately? I sent my application for the model Y in the mail on 2/19/21, and the check still hasn't been cashed. It's been over two months and was wondering if maybe my application got lost in the mail. Should I send it in again, or does anyone know how to check on the status of an application? My google'ing couldn't find a good phone number to call.

Thanks friends!