CA Clean Air Vehicle HOV Decal

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

help_balance_thegrid_with_evdotenergy

coredumperror

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I have no idea. It's probably worth contacting the DMV and asking, but I wouldn't be surprised if they say no.

Lardog

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I sent my application and payment for the stickers on 11/13/18 and the check was finally cashed on 12/31/18. Hoping the stickers will arrive within a week or so.

Yep, that was about right....got my red stickers on 1/5/19. Looks like they were probably mailed the day the check was cashed.

TheHairyOne

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Came here to check if they were really still issuing stickers, seems like they are based on the comments.

I like the idea of red on white, but purple for 2019, ugh!!! Purple on white for 3 years so I can drive 3 miles in the HOV before the toll road starts. Might save me 10 minutes a day though, so guess I'll just have to do it.

Do any of you have suggestions on what to put down before the sticker, to avoid paint damage? Can't put something easily removed, or someone will steal them.

coredumperror

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Do people really steal the stickers? I was planning to stick mine to bumper sticker magnets. Certain sections of the trunk, rear side panel, and bumper are steel, so it'll mostly work.

If theft really is a problem, though, I've heard that a valid alternate strategy is sticking them to Paint Protection Film, then cutting the film out to match the sticker, and sticking it onto the car. Hard to remove, but doable. And you can still get it off intact, rather than having the sticker disintegrate.

Yep, that was about right....got my red stickers on 1/5/19. Looks like they were probably mailed the day the check was cashed.
Ah **** man. Sorry to hear that.

TheHairyOne

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Any on-car, preferably white car, purple HOV sticker pictures? I'm wondering how bad it looks :p

Theft must be a problem, since the order form has like 1 check box for new car, and 19 check boxes for replacement stickers due to loss/theft/accident/etc.

TheHairyOne

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Reddit tesla motors forum has a blue car with purple stickers, looks like a kid out a sticker on dad's car... who at the DMV is responsible for this?

[mod edit to remove threat]

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulK

Country
Country
To be sure and get the purple stickers with the longer expiration, I waited until 1/1/19 to send the application in.

I had read that lots of people mailed their application at the same time, and most of them didn’t get the stickers until late in February.

My check still hadn’t cleared, so last week I re-sent the application (marked RE-submission) last week.

Today the original check from 1/1 cleared my bank.

Now I get to decide to pay to stop payment on the second check or risk them processing both.

/rant

PaulK

Country
Country
I got a letter from the DMV today. Here’s the whole timeline:

1/2/19 - mailed app and $22 check
3/25/19 - mailed a second app and a new $22 check
4/2/19 - my original 1/1 check cleared my bank
4/4/19 (today) - I got a letter in the mail returning my 2nd app and check with a comment that decal was issued to me on 3/21/19

They have an efficient rejection system! And still no stickers.

Ugh.

Last edited:

erinzadkovsky

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Hi!

I previously had custom vanity plates on my old Honda CR-V.

I just received my Tesla Registration + new plates in the mail today. My question is: Do I need to wait until I go to the DMV to register my custom plates to my car before I sign up for the HOV stickers + apply for the California Clean Air Rebate through the DVM, or can I do both with my current registration that I just got in the mail today?

I have an apt at the DMV on Friday to register my custom vanity plates, but I was hoping to get the process started for the HOV stickers + Clean Air Vehicle Rebate now if possible.

Does anyone know?

Thanks!

kjtesla

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
The CA Clean Air Rebate is not through the DMV, it is requested here: https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng

In regards to the HOV stickers, they are registered to whatever plate you currently own. So, if you change to personal plates you will need to send in another DMV form to correct DMV's records to show the change to the new plates. Also, there is a $500 rebate from PG&E!!!

erinzadkovsky

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Reservation
oh hey, thank you!!

I will hold off on the CA clean air rebate + HOV stickers until I get my new registration for my custom plates.

I just looked into the PG&E Rebate. It looks like it's $800! Thanks for the info! Do you know if they send a check for that amount of if it gets deducted from the bill?

vandanak

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Yes, you have to wait...a few people told me it could take up to a month to get my plates, but I received them after about 2 weeks. Had the form ready to go and mailed it out, then it was another ~3 week wait for the stickers.
Hi
Do you know what I should pick for the below? i have model3
1554929910337.png

rahul_m3

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Last edited:

Arktctr

Country
Country
Thanks for all the info here - very helpful.

What about the fact the the CA HOV stickers are butt ugly. Seriously, the M3 is such I nice looking car I hate putting, not one, but two ugly ass stickers on it. Anyone have any solutions for easy removal of the HOV stickers. I'm half joking of course, I'm happy to get free use of the HOV lanes for awhile - just wish the stickers were better designed.

I ended up trimming the white edge off mine and installing in the back only for now (can always add the other two small ones if needed). I’ve had EV’s with white and red stickers before and have to say these purple ones are the most hideous yet. At least with my blue car they don’t contrast as much as other colors might.

Hugh_Jassol

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
....and be prepared to wait... I'm at the 2 month mark exactly today and no stickers yet (check was cashed a week ago)...