C pillar ticking and clicking noise

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I couldn't find any references to C pillar issue I'm having, which is a tick-tick noise when going over bumps. Even small bumps. It's getting to the point where I want to remove the C pillar and take a look.

If i press up on the trim that goes over the door and to the C pillar, I can simulate the noise.

Are there any videos on removing the C pillar trim?

This is only on the passenger rear that I can hear.

It's hard to tell, but possibly it's coming from the area where the clip for the power to the defrost is.

I know I could call service for this, but that seems like a real waste of Tesla resources right now.

suprteck

Country
Country
I couldn't find any references to C pillar issue I'm having, which is a tick-tick noise when going over bumps. Even small bumps. It's getting to the point where I want to remove the C pillar and take a look.

If i press up on the trim that goes over the door and to the C pillar, I can simulate the noise.

It's hard to tell, but possibly it's coming from the area where the clip for the power to the defrost is.

I know I could call service for this, but that seems like a real waste of Tesla resources right now.
Just get some felt tape and apply it over the retaining clips

svusa11

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
have exact same issue, passenger side packing is bit loose. I have service appointment scheduled in last week of Oct.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Not sure if this is the same, but I have a snapping or clicking noise that is coming from the rear when going over uneven surfaces. I can’t tell if my noise is from inside the cabin or underneath the car. It comes and goes but has been more frequent over the last couple of weeks.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I took mine in last week. The techs think the ticking was coming from a loose rear trunk light - they removed it and added some foam around the light. I’ve had it back for a couple days and it still seems to be there, but less frequent and softer now. I might just live with it until the next time I need to take the car in since the service center is a ways from me.

bigevil

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've got this same issue and going in for service Dec 4! [made the appointment a week ago!] I've got a list of a dozen items for them to address.

shwelch01

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country

So I realize this is an older post, but I am actually having the same clicking sound and can simulate by pushing up on the c pillar cover. Hear the clicking on small bumps. Did you get this resolved and if so, what was the solution?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So I realize this is an older post, but I am actually having the same clicking sound and can simulate by pushing up on the c pillar cover. Hear the clicking on small bumps. Did you get this resolved and if so, what was the solution?
It mostly has gone away now. Took nearly a year. I do hear it once in a while but not enough to bother me at this point. If I ever need to get service, I might mention it to the tech.

bigevil

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
with mine, they actually made 2 different repairs which both didn’t solve it(one involved replacing the rear windshield even!)

finally it was escalated to their best tech who i made drive around with me for 20 minutes until i could reproduce it.

he instantly “got it” and it eventually resulted in some sort of weld i believe. the first two repairs they’d sworn it was gone but it always came back.

one thing i noticed is that it was more prevalent when cold. so i imagine maybe something was expanding / contrasting to buffer the noise.

hope it helps !

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Welp, I think the noise is back. Or, more likely, reading this post made me listen for it again! The ticking and clicking could also be due to the cold as @bigevil suggests, it was a bit chilly up north this weekend.

I thought to jam some paper or thin foam up between the glass and the cover, which if the cold brings it back I'll give it a shot.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I have a similar minor but often constant rattle but from the B pillar, specifically the second layer of plastic from the seat belt height adjuster. Very annoying as it is inches from my ear.
Apparently Tesla no longer considers noises and rattles a warranty covered item.

android04

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This video shows you how to remove the trim from the passenger side C-pillar

Like JWardell, I sometimes notice a little noise coming from the driver seat belt adjuster at the B-pillar. I plan on doing this to fix it someday

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This video shows you how to remove the trim from the passenger side C-pillar

Like JWardell, I sometimes notice a little noise coming from the driver seat belt adjuster at the B-pillar. I plan on doing this to fix it someday
Thanks, that video is very helpful.
I'm pretty sure my rattle is just the plastic bits and not the metal parts, but this gives me more confidence to go in there and perhaps apply some felt in places.

slacker775

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I used to have a little bit of rattle sometimes over bumps that seemed to come from the rear area. I wound up securing the rear license plate with 4 screws instead of the original 2 and can’t say I’ve noticed it since.