Byton, OMG that screen ...!

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
With the 2018 CES in Vegas comes new concept reveals... Introducing ‘Byton’, yet another Chinese company with a footprint in California, who targets the blooming EV market with an affordable SUV... Aesthetics are IMHO questionable yet it will be intriguing to see how this one does...

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/7/16859490/byton-electric-car-concept-suv-price-range-speed-ces-2018
I have to say, kind of nice.
As a SUV. If comparable to 3 in all its aspects (including Supercharger), reasonable price AND towing hitch I might be tempted. :cool:

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
With the 2018 CES in Vegas comes new concept reveals... Introducing ‘Byton’, yet another Chinese company with a footprint in California, who targets the blooming EV market with an affordable SUV... Aesthetics are IMHO questionable yet it will be intriguing to see how this one does...

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/7/16859490/byton-electric-car-concept-suv-price-range-speed-ces-2018
As a SUV. If comparable to 3 in all its aspects (including Supercharger), reasonable price AND towing hitch I might be tempted. :cool:

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
Couple of things.
As much as I find this yuuuge screen crazy, and the total connectivity overdone - in a car!! -, I concur that, aesthetically, overall, it’s acceptable, based on what we can judge from a vid...
It also does have some practical aspects which I’ll miss in Midnight S≡R≡NITY.

However, to be fair vs. the LRB Model 3, you’d have to opt for the higher range Byton, for which price premium was not indicated... Assuming they want to be aggressive, a min. of $6-8k should be added, i.e. $51-53k. Take a few options and you could quickly get near $60k... that’s very likely to translate to >€65-70k, more than what I’d pay for an unproven Chinese-built car at this point...

In addition, if it’s ever built - which IMHO I find more likely than for the (much pricier) FF91, we’ll be well into 2020 before it gets to our (EU) shores...

Michel, you say Supercharger, indeed that remains a big unknown for most EV entrants; I don’t see anybody catching up to T≡SLA any time soon, though independent charging networks like ChargePoint are being developed everywhere.

Too many strikes for me... Mostly I ain’t waiting that long for my EV...
... yet intriguing to follow... ;)

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It was a first respons, without knowing (or having looked for) details.

I applaud all other good BEV's coming onto the market. Alas, most are rubbish, in the view of accelerating the transition. Which may be precisely the point of those fossil companies. Which is why I stay a Tesla 'fanboy', even though Model 3 has also disadvantages (towing hitch...)
This one seemed to be an exception.

SuperCharger system is a HUGE advantage and for me a main reason that I believe in the ultimate success of Tesla.
Any charging system with a charge rate significantly below that of the SuperChargers is useless for road trips.

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I expect a lot from the Chinese companies. Their drive and capital is immense. If they manage to realise quality and production capacity, they will kill a couple of EU and VS fossils.

EDIT: Kill or take over, to use as a selling label. Like Geely did with Volvo.

Last edited:

Michael Russo

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
InsideEV interviewed Byton’s VP of Engineering, drove in the prototype and walked away with the feeling Byton may be a start-up carmaker to be reckoned with...

MichelT3

Love those Aero's!
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
One of the examples of Chinese carmakers taking the lead. Who said anything about quality?