Question By any chance, can Abstract Ocean create a pedestrian warning speaker retrofit?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, five years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to more features on the site. We now offer yearly memberships too! For more information visit this page:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

Jeda - Tesla Tech Accessories

android04

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
A retrofit would probably require a wiring harness that goes all the way to the MCU under the glovebox, with an inline connector stub that taps into the 2 unused pins on the MCU. Then the installer works have to run the 2 wires with the plug for the speaker out to the front of the car. Then they would either have to order a replacement front aero shield with the speaker holes or drill new ones and figure out how to mount the speaker.

Also, a retrofit might only work with cars that came with or have gotten the upgrade to the FSD computer (aka HW3) if Tesla added new hardware or pins to the MCU. When upgrading the FSD computer, Tesla replaces the whole ICE module which includes the MCU.

AO - Pete

TOO Sponsor Vendor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model S
^ that's the issue. Wire hardness modifications/additions are rarely straightforward. Make a compatible speaker for those that do have the wires is no big deal, but for owners to determine that isn't always easy, the presence of the speaker grill doesn't always imply the speaker, or even the wire, is there.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
^ that's the issue. Wire hardness modifications/additions are rarely straightforward. Make a compatible speaker for those that do have the wires is no big deal, but for owners to determine that isn't always easy, the presence of the speaker grill doesn't always imply the speaker, or even the wire, is there.
I can confirm that I have a 2018 November build and it has the speaker grill/holes, but no speaker. They definitely started prepping parts of the car before adding it.

TomT

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
You'd also need someone with Telsa Toolbox to edit the gateway config to tell the car it has the speaker. Plus, there are some reports that the feature is VIN limited...

Garlan Garner

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Lets start requesting mobile service add the speaker and see what comes of it.

If they get enough interest, they'll need to do something.

I'll try, however I don't believe Mobile service / Tesla is responsible for installing something that didn't come with the car.

At least - thats what I think they will say.

NUPE 1911

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Somebody asked about the retrofit. This was Elon's reply.

chris.

I have a message/request into mobile service. Let's see what their response is? I have a July 2019 MW3 and I am not sure what I have or don't have as it relates to the wire, etc.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Lets start requesting mobile service add the speaker and see what comes of it.

If they get enough interest, they'll need to do something.
Mine was already in and I referenced the Model 3 part number (1299965-00-A) even though it would be installed in my Model Y.

Reactions: 1 person

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
If a simple wiring harness is all it takes I'd be OK with Tesla offering a retro kit (or aftermarket), however, @AO - Pete already notes this won't likely be easy, or even possible. I'm try to differentiate the requests for this to know if someone is really serious they think they'd pay $250 to $500 or more for a kit and install for something like this or if everyone is wanting it for the gimmicky nature this SW release brings to it.

At this point I don't think Tesla owes previous cars anything to retro fit it, car evolution happens every day, and I'd sure rather spend that kind of money on some other option rather than a gimmick I'd likely use 2 or 3 times and then never think about again.

Garlan Garner

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Mine was already in and I referenced the Model 3 part number (1299965-00-A) even though it would be installed in my Model Y.

I wouldn't think that the Model Y and Model 3's wiring harnesses would be interchangeable. The Model Y has parts that the Model 3 doesn't have - and vice versa.

littlD

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I wouldn't think that the Model Y and Model 3's wiring harnesses would be interchangeable. The Model Y has parts that the Model 3 doesn't have - and vice versa.
It's the very same part DaErik demonstrated works on his early VIN Model Y after a reset.

What doesn't happen with 2020.48.26 is Boombox getting enabled. I figure that requires that the speaker be added to the list of hardware for the car, not just plug in the speaker.

Check out these videos:

First Pedestrian Noisemaker in a Model Y? Coming to All New Teslas This Month!

Can You Add a Speaker for Tesla's New BoomBox Feature? Holiday Update Review!

Reactions: 1 person

Garlan Garner

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3