Buying slightly used may be a good option

96s46p

Country
Country
It seems like there are some cars with low miles being resold for fair prices, presumably by people upgrading to awd/performance. LR PUP EAP are going for around 48k which if you live in a state with no sales tax on private party sales means you basically get tax credit pricing and free EAP in exchange for a few miles of use.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It seems like there are some cars with low miles being resold for fair prices, presumably by people upgrading to awd/performance. LR PUP EAP are going for around 48k which if you live in a state with no sales tax on private party sales means you basically get tax credit pricing and free EAP in exchange for a few miles of use.
I’ve mentioned this before in other posts but I don’t see this being a good deal at all.

My car was $56,500 new — plus taxes and fees let’s say just over $60,000

Tax credit brings it down to $52,500

When you drive off the lot the car should lose a minimum of 10-15%.

If you’re spending more than $45-46k I think you’re spending too much.

96s46p

Country
Country
Probably I feel this way since mine needed a bunch of rework it sort of feels like I got a used one anyway. One positive thing is this way you can inspect the car before you pay. :grin:

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
When you drive off the lot the car should lose a minimum of 10-15%.
Three points to keep in mind:
  1. The Tesla Model 3 is still severely supply-constrained. That's going to drive used prices higher
  2. Teslas in particular hold their value better than other used cars.
  3. Used car prices in general are quite high this year (references: 1, 2, 3)
If you want one ASAP, then used is probably the only way that will happen.
If you can stand waiting for a few months, then it's definitely a better deal to just buy a new Model 3.
If you can stand waiting for a year or longer, then a used one may be more rationally priced at that time.

Last edited:
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Three points to keep in mind:
  1. The Tesla Model 3 is still severely supply-constrained. That's going to drive used prices higher
  2. Teslas in particular hold their value better than other used cars.
  3. Used car prices in general are quite high this year (references: 1, 2, 3)
If you want one ASAP, then used is probably the only way that will happen.
If you can stand waiting for a few months, then it's definitely a better deal to just buy a new Model 3.
If you can stand waiting for a year or longer, then a used one may be more rationally priced at that time.
The RWD is not supply constrained at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Country
Country
and you know this because.... ?
I'm not Canikony, but anyone can go to the Tesla.com site and click "order a model 3" and select the "Rear Wheel Drive" configuration and see that it says "For delivery within 4 weeks."

That's roughly about the timeframe you'd get on ordering pretty much any car from any manufacturer, if you weren't selecting an already built model already on a lot somewhere.

EDIT: I suppose it might say something else for some other region, but since I started with an anonymous browser window, and it didn't ask any location information, it seems unlikely that they're doing any location filtering on providing that info.