But What If I Wanted The Metal Roof?

Bobby Garrity

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Today Tesla has made a bunch of changes to the pricing and options of Model S and X. One of these is that the glass roof, which was previously a $1500 option, is now standard. And in doing so, they have gotten rid of the metal roof entirely, even as an option. But if what if somebody wanted the metal roof? Or perhaps a better question is, would anybody? Is the glass roof objectively better than the metal roof? Would love to hear from somebody who has experience with both.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
My view - which is only that, my IHMO view (no special source for me...! ;)) - is that the jury is still out on this one... As much as I view an all glass roof a desirable option, particularly if free (!), I think it is a different thing to 'eat' the premium on a $35k vs, one that goes for twice as much...

Do believe a decent majority of reservation holders would spend the $1.5k... Note that, according to @Paul Carter 's useful https://model3tracker.info/, only about 24% of the >11k registered users choose the standard metal roof (with the premised up charge, evidently).
If metal roof would not be available, it probably would fall in the category of 'can I live with it?'...

(Brief) time will tell... ;)

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm guessing that they figured out that the glass roof is cheaper, probably in terms of both material and installation time (No welding, no headliner), and viewed as up-scale. So they lower their costs, make the car slightly easier/faster to manufacture, and get viewed as offering more value.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
my personal choice would be the all glass roof. and IF they do offer the metal roof as the standard, highly doubt the difference to go up to the glass would be what they were charging on the S. The roof section on the 3 is maybe ⅓ the size.

UncleT

Country
Country
I wonder, who would prefer a metal roof over a glass roof? Any known pros & cons for each? Is body rigidity affected?
I would, for better sound, heat and cold insulation, but some have pointed out that the roof section is so small and the glass designed to protect against the sun that it might not matter. This photo shows the roof sections.

Last edited:

Jayc

Country
Country
I would, for better sound, heat and cold insulation, but some have pointed out that the roof section is so small and the glass designed to protect against the sun that it might not matter. This photo shows the roof sections.

I would too for all those reasons. However, I'm increasingly skeptical whether a metal roof will be offered for Model 3. As we have discussed on tmc, it is difficult to see how the small metal area could be made to look good if it cannot be painted black to blend-in with the front and rear glass.

If glass is indeed the standard option then I might get that and tint it heavily. Also might see whether EVannex or a 3rd party shade/insulation layer is available because I don't particularly need or want to be able to see through the roof.

teslaliving

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
I would rather have the metal roof. I would think most Phoenicians would want this option. The sun is brutal here in the summer.
Like the S and X, they'll need to provide a sun shade for those kind of climates. Here in New England, lots of glass is fine and no shade is needed. Tesla does a great job insulating the light and heat just right but for the super-sunny places it's not enough. Those sun shades do tend to take some time to come out after initial launch though...

Country
Country
@teslaliving have you tried the sun shade before? Is it effective enough for our region - as I am located in the northeast as well? Thanks!

Like the S and X, they'll need to provide a sun shade for those kind of climates. Here in New England, lots of glass is fine and no shade is needed. Tesla does a great job insulating the light and heat just right but for the super-sunny places it's not enough. Those sun shades do tend to take some time to come out after initial launch though...

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
There are youtube videos testing the amount of light thru the glass on a Model X that is very impressive. Measuring both UV and heat, the light passing thru the glass is highly filtered, so don't assume just because its transparent (with tint) that it will transmit heat. The only complaints I've seen about the glass is from people without a Tesla. Owners in AZ have said its fine.
So my suggestion is to try it before judging it.

Topher

Energy Curmudgeon
Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
so don't assume just because its transparent (with tint) that it will transmit heat.
Actually, go ahead and assume that, since that is what physics dictates. The real question is how much radiation of each frequency passes through the glass. And the sum of all that energy, which for the most part will be converted to heat. The current technology with glass can tune it to allow pretty much whatever is desired through while reflecting or absorbing the rest. So, here is a question, is there a specification which will satisfy everyone?

Thank you kindly.

UncleT

Country
Country
There are youtube videos testing the amount of light thru the glass on a Model X that is very impressive. Measuring both UV and heat, the light passing thru the glass is highly filtered, so don't assume just because its transparent (with tint) that it will transmit heat. The only complaints I've seen about the glass is from people without a Tesla. Owners in AZ have said its fine.
So my suggestion is to try it before judging it.
Passing judgement with little or no facts is the American way. :)
I have seen S owners from Nevada and Florida (if I recall correctly) who said they regret getting it because of the heat, but most say it isn't an issue.