Tesla Owners Online Forum banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
I've had a chance to do more range and efficiency testing on the super wide tire compliment. It's a little bit discouraging, as I was expecting better results after the 275/30 addition at the back only really cost me about 5 Watt hours per mile compared to the stock 235/35. But the addition of the 265 / 30s at the front is probably costing me at least 8 watt-hours per mile. I'm a little bit surprised that the narrower tire is costing more than the wider tire at the rear but I suspect some of that is rolling resistance because this is not a Tesla spec Tire, unlike the rear 275 / 30. Some of it may simply be aerodynamic drag as well, as the rear tire is a bit more out of the air stream than the front tire.

In any case the combination costs me ~13-15 watt hours per mile, and this is relative to the stock Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Tire in the 235 / 35 20 inch size which is no efficiency champion. I'm reasonably confident that this is accurate because my wife's car which has the stock suspension, was just about 15 watt hours per mile less efficient, but we picked up five watt hours per mile with a front spoiler being added to hers. This meant that my car was just about 10 or perhaps 8 - 10 Watt hours per mile better than her car, and now with the addition of the much wider fronts, there's no difference at all. Still, even with the 13 - 15 watt hours per mile efficiency penalty for the combination of 265 / 30 front and 275 / 30 rear, I wouldn't go back. The handling is just in a different League.

Next tweak for sure is the @MountainPass front bushing. At least that won't cost me any range!
After driving the cars on our biannual trips to Florida it appears I jumped the gun on assuming that the watt hour efficiencies of the 265/30 front tire were significantly less than the stock 235/35 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tire in the front. We had a chance to do literally mile for mile at identical speed comparison of the two cars. My wife's car has the same degree of lowering with the MPP Comfort adjustable kit the same basic front air dam, and a stock Tesla 20in Pilot Sport in front and the Tesla spec 275/30 in the rear so it's not an efficiency champ by any means, but doing a mile by mile supercharger stop by supercharger stop comparison, the two cars were within 1 - 2 Watt hours per mile of each other. This means that the additional width of the 265/30 Pilot Sport 4S tire is essentially a wash in efficiency. Seems like a good way to get some extra grip without penalty. There is a slight loss of rolling diameter about 1% but it looks to me that the 265/30 plus 275/30 Tire compliment really doesn't cost you much relative to the stock 235/35 in the Pilot Sport 4s. But it looks better and it's night and day in terms of traction at the limit. And as I've already mentioned and somewhat surprisingly there is no terminal understeer at least in my car with this minimally staggered Tire compliment. Highly recommended

Discussion starter · #22 · (Edited)
It's hard to believe that I've had the MPP Sport Coilover kit for over a year and a half. And it's been now six months since my wife's car got the Comfort Adjustable kit. Hers is set at 12/10, the default, while mine is tightened down a bit at 10/8 - additionally Mountain Pass indicates that the valving is a little different between the two kits so despite the modest difference in numbers, my car is quite a bit firmer. Her car has a marvelous ride, liquid and supple without any float. And this is with rather heavy flow formed Vorsteiner wheels (26 pounds for the 9 inch wide wheels in front and probably 27 pounds on the wider 10.5 inch rears). So the next tweak is going to be a new set of VS Forged (VS 14 in the flat gunmetal gray color). After that will do chrome delete on both cars. Debating about whether to get 9.5 fronts and 10.5 rears, similar to my setup or whether to go for as lightweight as possible, and just get 9 inches all the way around, to run the stock OEM Michelin pilot sport 4S tires, which are hard to beat. Tough decision! I really like super wide wheel and tire at the rear, but we could use the extra range at this point given that we're down a bit on range/battery capacity. I'm down about 7% and my wife's car a little bit more.

Overall couldn't be more pleased with the Mountain Pass Performance coilovers - both kits are exceptional and offer a perfect way to tune His and Her Teslas. Still debating about whether to get the Front lower control arm bushing for my wife's car - don't know she would notice the difference although she did remark that my car's handling is significantly tighter. But of course she also complained that the ride was 'too stiff. ' What can you do? These are for sure 'First World' problems! :cool:
20200929_150233.jpg
20201017_173915.jpg

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.