Bug: Audio flat when entering car in the morning...

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
POD casts are an option in the streaming audio menus, no need to make one... you could play big buck bunny on your phone and connect via blue tooth for its audio thats a license free movie. Ive watched it 100k times since we use it as a test video at work.
Go Big Buck. And you do need to watch til the last second. Yes - I watched it all.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Ok, while it appeared to be hardware, the Service Center updated to 2019.4.2 and that resolved it.

Only 6 days in the shop for that. 🤯
Wow 6 days for a software update? Also it is strange they didn't push you to 2019.5.X. I am secretly hoping it is just a software update issue and I get the latest version but we shall see. I am ready to have my awesome sound back. My appointment is Tuesday.

rxlawdude

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wow 6 days for a software update? Also it is strange they didn't push you to 2019.5.X. I am secretly hoping it is just a software update issue and I get the latest version but we shall see. I am ready to have my awesome sound back. My appointment is Tuesday.
I think there are problems in 5.x that they are not deploying it en mass yet.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I think there are problems in 5.x that they are not deploying it en mass yet.
I figured I just hadn't heard of 2019.4 so that was a surprise. I think it is weird that I have had 49.20 for quite awhile and this didn't show up until later and it seems like it is permanent because a reboot doesn't resolve it. If it really is software it makes me wonder what caused it.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Car is at the service center. Tech acknowledged the rear audio doesn't sound good and the subwoofer isn't apparent from the front seats. It is moving slightly from inspection in the trunk but you really can't hear it when you have the trunk open.

ncsmith4

Country
Country
Ive actually NOT had this problem UNTIL 2019.5.4, when I get back in the car to drive, the audio seems very “flat” like only the front speakers are working. When I do the two button reset, the music comes back to being the full sound.

Anyone else? So, 2019.5.4 doesn’t fix it. It broke it for me.

Last edited:

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Ive actually NOT had this problem UNTIL 2019.5.4, when I get back in the car to drive, the audio seems very “flat” like only the front speakers are working. When I do the two button reset, the music comes back to being the full sound.

Anyone else? So, 2019.5.4 doesn’t fix it. It broke it for me.
That's depressing. I was hoping a newer version would fix mine.

Anyway I got my car back from Tesla Service. They tested my amp and speakers and said they were 'within specifications'. In addition they said there was no way to update the software on my car beyond what it already has (2018.49.20) They did push the same version to me again and I installed it at work so I haven't gone back to the car to try it out. I even mentioned specifically if I could get 2019.4 or 5 to see if it solved the issue but they said my VIN wasn't able to be updated to those versions yet because if Tesla mothership hasn't approved it for a VIN there is no way they can get it on there. I did have the hope that a software update would solve it so I figured I would just have to wait it out. @ncsmith4 comment made me slightly disappointed. So overall a disappointing outcome.

Another note is I had a brand new (1k mile) Model S 100D as a loaner and the audio in that car sounded flat too. I checked the window sticker and it had premium audio. I just don't remember any Tesla having that little bass. So I think there is a bigger software issue effecting multiple cars not just the Model 3's.

GDN

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That's depressing. I was hoping a newer version would fix mine.

Anyway I got my car back from Tesla Service. They tested my amp and speakers and said they were 'within specifications'. In addition they said there was no way to update the software on my car beyond what it already has (2018.49.20) They did push the same version to me again and I installed it at work so I haven't gone back to the car to try it out. I even mentioned specifically if I could get 2019.4 or 5 to see if it solved the issue but they said my VIN wasn't able to be updated to those versions yet because if Tesla mothership hasn't approved it for a VIN there is no way they can get it on there. I did have the hope that a software update would solve it so I figured I would just have to wait it out. @ncsmith4 comment made me slightly disappointed. So overall a disappointing outcome.

Another note is I had a brand new (1k mile) Model S 100D as a loaner and the audio in that car sounded flat too. I checked the window sticker and it had premium audio. I just don't remember any Tesla having that little bass. So I think there is a bigger software issue effecting multiple cars not just the Model 3's.
Well since it seems 5.4 has come to a screeching halt, it may be because they've found more bugs and realized it didn't fix some things (like your stereo) they thought it had fixed. Hopeful they do get it bug free and update in the next release and we all get it soon.

Quite a few cars ended up with 5.4 and them telling you it wasn't approved for your VIN, likely means it isn't approved for any further VIN. Sorry to hear (no pun intended) you still have the problem, but hoping for some new SW soon that will fix the issue.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Ok now I figured it out! It's SLACKER. I started using my phone (we have an apple music subscription) and now it sounds great. I think when the service center tested my car they used a bluetooth connection to test the audio response and said it was fine. I had an epiphany and realized that if it passed with them doing that (I knew they did it because my car was set to bluetooth audio when I picked it up) then I should try my phone. I never use my phone because I hate getting it out of my pocket to select the music.

Anyway all is good for now I'll try slacker in the future to see if they have fixed it.

oripaamoni

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok now I figured it out! It's SLACKER. I started using my phone (we have an apple music subscription) and now it sounds great. I think when the service center tested my car they used a bluetooth connection to test the audio response and said it was fine. I had an epiphany and realized that if it passed with them doing that (I knew they did it because my car was set to bluetooth audio when I picked it up) then I should try my phone. I never use my phone because I hate getting it out of my pocket to select the music.

Anyway all is good for now I'll try slacker in the future to see if they have fixed it.
Glad you figured out how to reproduce, I am on 2019.5.4 and have this same bug, ran into it a few days ago for the first time, didnt know what triggered it at the time.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Glad you figured out how to reproduce, I am on 2019.5.4 and have this same bug, ran into it a few days ago for the first time, didnt know what triggered it at the time.
The weird thing is after listening to my phone for awhile my teen put it back on slacker and it sounds ok for now. I remember on my wife's old van the XM would sound crappy unless you switched to CD and then back. We got to the point where every time we started the car we would switch to CD and back to XM and it would make the audio sound much better. Funny I am now doing that on my Tesla.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The weird thing is after listening to my phone for awhile my teen put it back on slacker and it sounds ok for now. I remember on my wife's old van the XM would sound crappy unless you switched to CD and then back. We got to the point where every time we started the car we would switch to CD and back to XM and it would make the audio sound much better. Funny I am now doing that on my Tesla.
So now the question is - why does slacker sound bad for you?

After reading your posts, I tried comparing some songs that I'm familiar with. I switched between streaming from my phone and listening to them on slacker. I really couldn't tell any difference.

Do you happen to be in an area with poor LTE reception? Maybe Slacker is lowering the bitrate for your streaming due to a poor connection at some point, and it's not automatically bumping it back up when the connection gets better?

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
So now the question is - why does slacker sound bad for you?

After reading your posts, I tried comparing some songs that I'm familiar with. I switched between streaming from my phone and listening to them on slacker. I really couldn't tell any difference.

Do you happen to be in an area with poor LTE reception? Maybe Slacker is lowering the bitrate for your streaming due to a poor connection at some point, and it's not automatically bumping it back up when the connection gets better?
No I have really good LTE here (not as good as my verizon service though) and the even stranger thing is after listening to my phone for a day or so and trying slacker again it appears to sound better now. I have no clue how this is happening. I can definitely tell now when it is working because I can now hear fill from the rear of the car which was non existent before. There are also times I can hear the sub filling in the bass when it all sounded like it was coming from the two front doors before. Now I am not 100% confident that something didn't happen at the service center. I know before I took it in it sounded off all the time. Even the service center tech said he could tell when listening to my slacker station in the service center. Then they put a note on my account that everything was fine and they pushed the latest software to my car. Turns out the latest software was the software I already had but the car showed the update and went through the install process again. I am wondering if that changed something or cleared out some state settings or something that resolved the issue.

I do know when I got the car back the car was on the phone input so they must have used a phone to test the system and that appeared to pass whatever tests they were doing. I didn't want to take my phone out of my pocket so I switched it back to slacker and it sounded bad still. Then I got to work and it installed the update waiting on my car. Then after work I had it on slacker for a bit then switched back to my phone and at that point is when I thought it sounded OK. After that it has pretty much sounded pretty good even with slacker. I haven't had it on slacker for more than a few songs though so I am wondering if I left it on there for awhile if it would regress back to the previous mode where it sounds bad. Who knows.... I also swear one time it probably didn't sound good and I got a proximity tone and then it sounded better. At this point I feel like I am grasping at straws so to speak.

Anyway I think it is a software bug similar to what my wife's old van had. Cars have EQ settings and they change them out when the car does different functions like playing a tone or receiving a phone call. If the software doesn't restore the EQ settings for music after one of those events the sound can sound crappy. That is what my wife's old car did and the solution was switching her car to CD and back to whatever source you were listening to and it would fix itself.

Just as a side note I work on automotive sound/tuners for a living so I probably am bugged by this more than most and I tend to hear stuff in the audio that most wouldn't pick up on. I annoy my wife to no end when she is in the car when I say things like "dang did you hear that multipath distortion? Where do you think the signals bounced off from?"

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I haven't had it on slacker for more than a few songs though so I am wondering if I left it on there for awhile if it would regress back to the previous mode where it sounds bad.
I listen to slacker almost exclusively. I've never noticed any issues with the sound quality.

Last edited:

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I listen to slacker almost exclusively. I've never noticed any issues with the sound quality.
That's interesting. Here is an update:

My car just got 2019.5.15 last night. I think the sound is better but I could be just over evaluating things at this point. If I turn my head sideways I can hear audio in the back which I couldn't hear before the service center visit. Also I think their push probably did do something after living with my car a week or so after. Anyway I am a happy camper.

I am also wondering if certain music has had the processing change? Or if they changed an EQ setting that effected older music over slacker? I am just stabbing in the dark here. For example 80's music has less bass than before but modern music still has a lot of punch.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m experiencing a similar issue with audio from my iPhone/Apple Music. I noticed a big improvement after disabling “sound check” in the iOS music settings menu. Not sure if the “punch” is back to the way it was originally, but definitely a step in the right direction.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I’m experiencing a similar issue with audio from my iPhone/Apple Music. I noticed a big improvement after disabling “sound check” in the iOS music settings menu. Not sure if the “punch” is back to the way it was originally, but definitely a step in the right direction.
Yeah I had that turned off on my phone. My issue was with slacker and it seems to be with mainly the 80's type music my daughter likes. There were other issues even with current music before but now everything is back to normal. I am not sure if it fully happened on 49.20 reinstall because sometimes I thought it was still flat or if it fully was fixed in 2019.5.15

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well this just happened to me for the first time this morning. Totally flat, front speakers with a tiny bit out of the back. No mids, no sub. This was across all audio sources (was on Slacker when I first turned on). Car was updated to 2019.5.15 yesterday as well. I did a steering wheel reset and it corrected itself. Very curious to see what happens when I leave work this evening.

Last edited:

rxlawdude

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Well this just happened to me for the first time this morning. Totally flat, front speakers with a tiny bit out of the back. No mids, no sub. This was across all audio sources (was on Slacker when I first turned on). Car was updated to 2019.5.15 yesterday as well. I did a steering wheel reset and it corrected itself. Very curious to see what happens when I leave work this evening.
If you get the symptom again, can you please try using voice commands to see if they work (or a phone call to see if the party on the other end can hear you)?