Bug: Audio flat when entering car in the morning...

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Could you perhaps dig into your trunk and reseat the connectors going to the sub and amplifier?

What we found is that the main computer powers the smaller speakers up front (and will probably power all speakers when non-premium interior is available), then digitally communicates with the amplifier in the trunk which powers not only the sub but all the larger speakers in the doors.

It sounds like it's not communicating with that amp. Maybe the amp is failing, but just maybe one of the connections is bad or some moisture got in there.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Could you perhaps dig into your trunk and reseat the connectors going to the sub and amplifier?

What we found is that the main computer powers the smaller speakers up front (and will probably power all speakers when non-premium interior is available), then digitally communicates with the amplifier in the trunk which powers not only the sub but all the larger speakers in the doors.

It sounds like it's not communicating with that amp. Maybe the amp is failing, but just maybe one of the connections is bad or some moisture got in there.
How hard is it to get to? I could try but I don't want to start ripping apart too much and then end up with a situation where I damaged more and it won't be covered.

Defjukie

Country
Country
How hard is it to get to? I could try but I don't want to start ripping apart too much and then end up with a situation where I damaged more and it won't be covered.
You should be able to just pull a bit on the liner in the right side of the trunk, and be able to fit your hand in there to reseat the connectors. I've unplugged/replugged all of them, so don't worry about messing anything up.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Sorry I didn't come on here last night. I would have been in hot water being it was valentines day. Anyway no it didn't help. Still audio is off.

You should be able to just pull a bit on the liner in the right side of the trunk, and be able to fit your hand in there to reseat the connectors. I've unplugged/replugged all of them, so don't worry about messing anything up.
Ok thanks! I might try tonight depending on how crazy my evening is.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I can upload a video clip to youtube but I don't know the copy write policies. Is there a limit to how long it can be? I got a hand slap on Facebook last year because I video'd my girls dancing to a song in our living room and there was a song in the background (horrible quality) and they removed my video so now I am super gun shy. I am not trying to take someone's livelihood but I think sometimes the copy write stuff is a bit over the top.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I can upload a video clip to youtube but I don't know the copy write policies. Is there a limit to how long it can be? I got a hand slap on Facebook last year because I video'd my girls dancing to a song in our living room and there was a song in the background (horrible quality) and they removed my video so now I am super gun shy. I am not trying to take someone's livelihood but I think sometimes the copy write stuff is a bit over the top.
or just find something royalty free

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Maybe they removed it, but YouTube used to have some option to automatically removing copyrighted songs from your videos when it gets tagged as infringing.
I used to make use of that quite a bit.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
or just find something royalty free
Yeah I could do that. The problem is if people don't know the song then they might not realize notes are missing. It isn't like there is no bass but it is very obvious on some songs that some bass notes or mid notes are completely gone because my system isn't playing them. I am guessing that certain channels of my system are either off or completely dead because it sounds like those frequencies are missing. For some songs I think it sounds mostly fine but then another song will be completely flat. I notice this the most with 80's music because they are very bass guitar heavy and it sounds completely gone. If it is newer music they have electronic bass hits that seem to still get through. The song I took the video of is Shawn Mendes "There's nothing holding me back" which has 0 bass right now in my car. It sounds like an MTV unplugged acoustic guitar performance. I know the song doesn't have much bass to begin with but before it still would rumble in the car.

Also "Pink Houses" by Mellencamp is missing the bass line all together.

What I think I'll do is download a tone generator and see what I get. (I also want to reproduce a rattle before my car hits a year old). So I will record that so I can show the service center and we might get a before/after.

Or a podcast might skip detection.
Maybe but I have no experience with making one :) What I could do is make a couple videos and just put the sound on my PC as a sound file a few seconds long and do a comparison. I could put those on my google drive if someone is interested and not publicly push them out to everyone.

Maybe they removed it, but YouTube used to have some option to automatically removing copyrighted songs from your videos when it gets tagged as infringing.
I used to make use of that quite a bit.
yeah I am trying to get the audio because I want to show what is wrong with the system.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You can have copyrighted material in youtube - just you will get struck and the author will get the ad money instead of you. Best to play royalty free stuff anyway for testing. Unfortunately need 2 phones to bluetooth while video recording a frequency gen.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
You can have copyrighted material in youtube - just you will get struck and the author will get the ad money instead of you. Best to play royalty free stuff anyway for testing. Unfortunately need 2 phones to bluetooth while video recording a frequency gen.
don't think that is totally accurate. Ive had youtube videos pulled for having music playing in the background - and this is on an account without any ads or other monetary hooks.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Unfortunately need 2 phones to bluetooth while video recording a frequency gen.
I got stuff to record with. My daughter has a nice microphone she never uses and I could drag my laptop into the car. That would probably be best. I also have a GoPro I could use but I don't know the quality of its microphone.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
yeah I am trying to get the audio because I want to show what is wrong with the system.
No, it was some fancy processing that didn't simply remove all audio. It attempted to remove just the song.
The end result was usually that the song was still there, just much, much quieter than originally.

ummgood

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Ok funny thing is I washed my car this morning. I was talking to my mom on the phone so I didn't listen to the audio. I got back into the car at lunch and tried to play the song I had previously recorded when the audio was fine and now the darn thing sounds good again. The other weird thing is it reset the audio immersion setting back to the middle setting and I had put it on the high setting. I put it back on the high setting. Anyway that was a failed attempt but I will try it again. I am assuming it will die.

This is either telling me it is software related (like before), connection issue, or something is dying and works intermittently. I'll work on it some more. I feel like I am slowly going insane (I probably was slightly already). My teen definitely noticed the sound difference plus I feel like it hurts my ears now more because it is out of balance. Who knows???

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This is either telling me it is software related (like before), connection issue, or something is dying and works intermittently. I'll work on it some more. I feel like I am slowly going insane (I probably was slightly already). My teen definitely noticed the sound difference plus I feel like it hurts my ears now more because it is out of balance. Who knows???
Literally how it worked for me, would fail on startup, would intermittently fail after a 2scroll restart, but if I parked, did an errand, and got back in it would often work properly the 2nd time; only to fail again later.

Frully

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
don't think that is totally accurate. Ive had youtube videos pulled for having music playing in the background - and this is on an account without any ads or other monetary hooks.
Fair, without getting too into a derail - from my youtube content (former partner and hundreds of videos) when I got a copyright strike the options were 'remove audio, attribute audio (giving up monetary), or challenge claim'...

Defjukie

Country
Country
Sounds like either a faulty rear amp, or loose / faulty connections to that same amp. My money would be on the former, and simply rebooting it allows it to play until it glitches out again (also could be some sort of overheat protection kicking in, again due to a manufacturing defect).

TheHairyOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
POD casts are an option in the streaming audio menus, no need to make one... you could play big buck bunny on your phone and connect via blue tooth for its audio thats a license free movie. Ive watched it 100k times since we use it as a test video at work.