Budget for Model 3?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

• A statement from the Founder of Tesla Owners Online:

TOO is, and remains, strongly committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and we see no place for hatred and discrimination in our communities.

My Model 3 Budget is...

Votes: 53 5.6%

Votes: 156 16.4%

Votes: 291 30.5%

Votes: 190 19.9%

Votes: 141 14.8%
  • Max it out baby!

Votes: 123 12.9%

• Total voters

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Unfortunately a 50% price cut in all the options may not be in the cards. Not that I wouldn't like it, but Tesla still needs to make it to the black to be a viable long term company that will be around in the future to provide us with a Model Y and as my wife hopes, an electric Pick Up. :rolleyes:
So I have been pricing the options of paint and interior as they are now. But I think there will be economies of scale for the battery option and motor as Elon has said.
That said, I so hope the LTE/GPS is included so that one can just use the Google maps for traffic and NAV.
I think also that there will be a chance to save money if you go with the metal roof option. And if you don't need supercharging that will save as well for I think that will be an upfront cost to activate, as well as the autopilot. While I think the autopilot feature will be the same cost to activate as the S, I bet the supercharging will be lower than the $2500 it use to be. Someone said $1000 earlier and I would bet that is a reasonable figure.

Last edited:

Andrew

I voted for 45k as my budget since I'm not sure if i'll quality for the tax incentives by the time my reservation comes around. Hoping for AWD at the least, anything else is a bonus.

I agree that the options pricing will probably be similar to the Model S and X. With a possible discount as others have said due to economies of scale...but it won't be much, judging from the S and X option prices.

With that said. I'm expecting to sticker mine out between $45-50k. I've already started "making my car payment", so there will be plenty of extra cash around for the "incidentals", as the home charger unit, and new options I don't know of yet.

Things I won't delete from the list are, panoramic sunroof, leather seats (light cream/beige), the sound package, and I hope for AWD.
I may assign 1/2 my bonus from 2017 to the kitty too, to ensure there is enough. ;)

One thing I won't do is make a 5+ year loan out of this car. 4 years is my max and if I can't afford it at that, then options come off.

Seems like supercharging may have a price to it...originally Elon said it will come standard I think but edits were made to that claim. I also think I want the roof as metal due to Summer's here can be as high as 115, Fahrenheit .....dual chargers may be a good option for those places visited without 240/220 hookups. AWD a must and range of close to 300 miles for me if possible for upgrades. Only S model I drove was P85D, 695 hp....needless to say that pulled my keester right down into the seat. Tesla is a super car!!

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
Hello all,

As far as budget goes I voted for $50,000 but that is my out the door max price. I am hoping I can get a reasonably equipped car for less than that. I don't need something that is incredibly fast. 6 second 0-60 is fine with me. The technology is big for me. Auto pilot, supercharging and the like. I would probably opt for a solid roof as well. Concerned about those Georgia summer afternoons under the sun.

Dan

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
My understanding on the Federal Tax Credit is that it is for the first 200,000 cars that are delivered, not ordered. I am assuming that there will be a fair amount of people that won't follow through on their order and will cancel at some point for whatever reason. I am not budgeting for the credit but it sure would be nice. My Tesla dealer also said that those incentives are only funded through 2016 and it is very questionable as to whether the government will continue to set aside funding for it in the future.

Has anyone else heard differently?

Dan

While we're on the topic of budget for the 3, anyone know if Tesla negotiates its sale price? Since we don't have to go through the hassle of dealing with individual dealerships, is there room to negotiate price?

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
No. there is no haggling on the price. Order it like you order something from Amazon. You do the order online, even if you do it at the Gallery and that is the price. The folks that work there are not car salesman you haggle with.

Last edited:

Dan Detweiler

Top-Contributor
Country
Country
I am sure this is like when I ordered my Volt early on. There is no reason for them to haggle on the price since they already have more than enough orders to max out their production. Not like there are going to be a bunch Model 3s sitting on a lot somewhere waiting for buyers.

Dan

LUXMAN

Legendary Member
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My understanding on the Federal Tax Credit is that it is for the first 200,000 cars that are delivered, not ordered. I am assuming that there will be a fair amount of people that won't follow through on their order and will cancel at some point for whatever reason. I am not budgeting for the credit but it sure would be nice. My Tesla dealer also said that those incentives are only funded through 2016 and it is very questionable as to whether the government will continue to set aside funding for it in the future.

Has anyone else heard differently?

Dan
That is one I haven't heard before, RE 2016. I sure hope not!! I did a search on the IRS site and this is what I found. It does not have an end date that I found other than the 200,000 car limit and then the phase out period. Sounds like he was unsure of the details of the credit. And that is something some people don't realize. It is a Credit. And that is taken at the end of your taxes. After you finish and it gives you the "Tax due" at the end of the 1040 form, you then subtract the $7500. you have to actually owe at least much on what you made during the year to get the full credit. Else you only get up to what you did owe for the year with NO carryover into following years.

Plug-In Electric Drive Vehicle Credit (IRC 30D)

The credit begins to phase out for a manufacturer’s vehicles when at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009).

That is one I haven't heard before, RE 2016. I sure hope not!! I did a search on the IRS site and this is what I found. It does not have an end date that I found other than the 200,000 car limit and then the phase out period. Sounds like he was unsure of the details of the credit. And that is something some people don't realize. It is a Credit. And that is taken at the end of your taxes. After you finish and it gives you the "Tax due" at the end of the 1040 form, you then subtract the $7500. you have to actually owe at least much on what you made during the year to get the full credit. Else you only get up to what you did owe for the year with NO carryover into following years.

Plug-In Electric Drive Vehicle Credit (IRC 30D)

The credit begins to phase out for a manufacturer’s vehicles when at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009).
Dan excellent discussion. For some folks this is important! If you make less money, owe or have paid say "5000" in taxes for the year, 7500 will not be a true recovery from Federal income tax credit. It also does not rollover for any year following as the Solar installation does. For those of us with 401Ks, and an age of over 59 1/2, taking 30,000 out at a 25% income tax rate makes the 7500 tax incentive a win-win. For folks like me that live in CA, the rebate from CA is a flat $2500 check, not connected to state income tax. There is also:

The federal government recently extended a tax credit intended to support installation of Alternative Fuel Infrastructure. This credit is worth up to $1,000 for an individual, or 30% (up to $30,000) for a business.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I am thinking I will have the wall charger installed this year so it would hit the 2016 taxes. My federal tax last year was just short of $6,000, and expecting similar for the next year or two so definitely would be less than the $7500 plus the $1000 infrastructure credit.

M3HYAM

I have completed a pre-order over here in New Zealand, however I will be holding on my cancellation rights until I have confirmation we will have a dealership and service center here before order finalization. Currently as we do not have a Tesla dealership or service agent in NZ (yet), Model S owners (we have a few) have to ship their cars to and from Australia for maintenance.

I am also very keen to know peoples thoughts on the cost of options / upgrades.
Perhaps based off Model S options pricing or otherwise. Happy for this to be in US$ :)

Thalass

I'm in Ontario, too. I'm hoping the rebate is still in effect by the time we get our cars. I thought the poll was in USD so went with $45k haha. That works out to about CAN$55k or so. I'm going off of Model S prices for AWD and Winter Pack etc.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I will probably order the dual motor and the super charging option. It will depend on the price of the options and how much of a rebate is available. Probably won't be a rebate by the time my order is ready though. That's fine I would buy this car with or without the tax rebate...still it would be nicer to have, than not.

CharlesP

Must have options:
Dual motor
Largest battery
Supercharging
Autopilot

Want options
Upgraded Leather/seats
Panoramic roof

Hoing must haves will keep me 45 - 50 before rebate

K C

Must have options:
Dual motor
Largest battery
Supercharging
Autopilot

Want options
Upgraded Leather/seats
Panoramic roof

Hoing must haves will keep me 45 - 50 before rebate
CharlesP

I'll probably go for the options as well, still debating if I can afford the Panoramic roof cause my budget is 50k.

TrevP

TOO Founder / Administrator
Founder
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
We don't get a tax credit like the US does. We get an honest to goodness rebate in the form of a cheque mailed to us a few weeks after submitting the paperwork. No need to wait for tax time to claim.

The difference however is that our rebate is not federal, it's provincial and only 3 provinces offer EV rebates: BC, Ontario and Quebec.

There are links in the FAQ section to the rebates where you can read more about them.