Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Bubbles on dash

11K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  Cintoman 
#1 ·
So my car has had these things that look like bubbles in the dash since delivery (black peice right above the wood). If you touch them they go away for a few but then come right back. It's like they didn't stretch the material enough. Anyone have this? I tried doing a search for anything bubble related with the dash and nothing came back.

#3 ·
I'll add some pictures later. It has to be sunny to see them good in photos. They are about a half inch in diameter

#11 ·
I've heard that peice is a quick snap out and in so it shouldn't be hard to replace. Any idea if mobile service can do this for me and how do I request that over the service center?

Reactions: babula
#12 ·
Fyi I stopped at the SC. This is not an easy pop off and pop on replacement. They said with the model 3 the whole dash has to come apart. Also, it has to be done at the SC, can't have mobile service do it. It will take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months to get the part in, and up to 2 days of them having the car to replace it.... Not very happy with those results but what can I do

#15 ·
What is your VIN? I went in and at least ordered the part. It is up to a 2 month wait so, I'd recommend doing the same as it could be awhile to get it replaced.

#18 ·
I just got my car back from service for this problem, along with a few other issues from the factory. At time of pickup, my SA tells me that the dash was not approved to be replaced by tesla! My initial rage quickly died down when he explained why.

Apparently Tesla is working on a new version of the dash. My SA said "maybe with a new material". I doubt its going to be a new exterior material. Probably going to revise the method of which the outer is affixed to the frame/foam. I was told to check back early next year to see if the new parts are available.

#21 ·
I have the same problem. About 4 or 5 on the passenger side. Guess I'll wait a while for the new parts to come out before taking it in for replacement.

How did your replacement dash work out? Any troubles/rattles/squeaks since replacement?

That's my biggest worry, that replacing the dash would lead to a host of other problems.

#22 ·
I've had it back for about a week and a half and so far no issues. I'd recommend doing it, leaves me much more at ease now.

#25 ·
So far so good for my 2nd dash. I use a sun visor but it's a must in Vegas. Someone mentioned that Tesla is worked on another dash as it's a common issue.

#26 ·
Sorry to bring this old topic back up, but a few days ago, my wife, who never really notices those picky issues I always see with my Tesla, noticed some bubbles on the dashboard top. To my amazement, I can't believe I didn't notice this earlier. Since then, 2 other "non-car people" noticed it as one of the first things when they sat in the passenger seat of my car. Annoying to have them seeing this.

Thought I was the only one, until I came upon this post here, and a similar one @Dano9258 posted on the other forum.

Add a pic of mine. A bit tough to tell from the angle I took it at, but there's one big one, and several small ones. What's weird is that if I press them down, it feels like there's nothing underneath it. It's almost as though the foam underneath the dash covering has holes like swiss cheese. So when they put the black cover over it, it covered those holes. Very strange.

Does anyone know if this newer version that was talked about earlier in this post finally came out? And @Dano9258, how has yours been holding up since you got it replaced?

I'm wondering if my SC will push me off as this being a non-warranty item and "normal wear and tear"? If so, any help from those that have had this replaced by their SC as a warranty item would help my cause, if the need should arise.

Info: VIN 097730, Build Date: 08/18, And as of today, I just turned 4,000 miles on my nearly always garaged car.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

Thanks,
Cintoman

#28 ·
Sorry to bring this old topic back up, but a few days ago, my wife, who never really notices those picky issues I always see with my Tesla, noticed some bubbles on the dashboard top. To my amazement, I can't believe I didn't notice this earlier. Since then, 2 other "non-car people" noticed it as one of the first things when they sat in the passenger seat of my car. Annoying to have them seeing this.

Thought I was the only one, until I came upon this post here, and a similar one @Dano9258 posted on the other forum.

Add a pic of mine. A bit tough to tell from the angle I took it at, but there's one big one, and several small ones. What's weird is that if I press them down, it feels like there's nothing underneath it. It's almost as though the foam underneath the dash covering has holes like swiss cheese. So when they put the black cover over it, it covered those holes. Very strange.

Does anyone know if this newer version that was talked about earlier in this post finally came out? And @Dano9258, how has yours been holding up since you got it replaced?

I'm wondering if my SC will push me off as this being a non-warranty item and "normal wear and tear"? If so, any help from those that have had this replaced by their SC as a warranty item would help my cause, if the need should arise.

Info: VIN 097730, Build Date: 08/18, And as of today, I just turned 4,000 miles on my nearly always garaged car. View attachment 25320

Thanks,
Cintoman
Mine is still holding up well since the replacement. The SC replaced it under warranty for me. My car just developed it's first rattle at 14,000 miles and it's near the wood piece on the dash. So I bet it's from replaced that dash piece, but still well worth it.

#27 ·
@Cintoman
Mine has not had this come up, but would say with 100% certainty this is a manufacturing issue and should for sure be replaced under warranty.
(for reference, mine has a 9/18 manufacture date with VIN 91,6xx, and while no visible bubbles on the surface, if running my hand over the dash where your photo shows the bubble, you can feel it is not perfectly even underneath - so maybe a sign of a bubble in the future?...)

#29 ·
This is absolutely a manufacturing defect and covered under warranty. My SC (Burbank) has the replacement part and I'm scheduled for the install in the next 2 weeks. They did confirm to me that it is not an easy replacement and does require the dash to be taken apart (slightly scary). I'll let you know if it looks any different in construction or feel from the original dash...

#30 ·
Bringing this back up again, as I finally made an appointment with my SC to get this replaced. They requested pictures, which I provided, and it'll be going under the knife on 8/23. Here are some better pictures of the bubbles on my passenger side of the dash. As a side note, this is no easy replacement, as nearly EVERYTHING needs to come out of the front interior of the car, including the center console, steering wheel, glovebox, screen, etc. Pretty scary. There's a Reddit thread about this and the pic they posted for the exact replacement process is scary.

Here are my pics...

--Cintoman
Vehicle Car Hood Automotive design Grey
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle
Hood Grey Automotive design Automotive exterior Material property

Reactions: Bokonon
#31 ·
So I finally got my car back today. I took a look at the car and honestly, it doesn't even look like they did anything.....in a good sense. Meaning everything looked perfect and in order. The A-pillar covers were mounted fine, central screen, center console, and everything looked just as it was. Just now the dashboard top had no more bubbles! Despite all of the work involved, these guys put the car back together in perfect order. I didn't get a chance to take any pics, but I definitely don't see any bubbles in any of the dash top area on this new dash pad. So I'm really crossing my fingers that it stays that way.

Comparing the dash top material of the new one to the old one, it looks and feels the same. I didn't notice any texture difference at all. It took the Dedham, MA SC 1 week to do this work (along with a few other minor things: horn on the left side of the airbag cover not working, 2 rubber door grommets missing on each of the left doors, and some new push pins needed to keep the trunk trim fastened to the trunk by the right side grab handle). I've been very pleased with all of the work Dedham has done...always came out perfectly.

--Cintoman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.