Brooklyn, NY owners?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

djejnyc

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
im in rochester, ny, i love your car photo, is it the solid black? thats what im waiting on , reserved 4/4/16 , configured 6/28/18 , the waiting game is brutal!
Thanks! Yes, I got the basic black, its really nice in person, I'm super happy. It's worth all the waiting, I've had it for just the weekend but I went on a 200 mile road trip upstate and it performed amazingly! I think I sold one to a friend who currently is leasing a BMW M4.
BTW, I will be in Rochester with my son to visit in a couple of weeks, I'll direct message you about a meet up.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Thanks! Yes, I got the basic black, its really nice in person, I'm super happy. It's worth all the waiting, I've had it for just the weekend but I went on a 200 mile road trip upstate and it performed amazingly! I think I sold one to a friend who currently is leasing a BMW M4.
BTW, I will be in Rochester with my son to visit in a couple of weeks, I'll direct message you about a meet up.
sounds great! is your model the rwd or awd? we reserved awd , originally was gonna reserve rwd with eap and fsd, but jumped on awd with no eap, or fsd. wanted to get full rebate and ny 2000 instead of 500 rebate. we dont have a service center nearby so it will be delivered to our home.

djejnyc

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
sounds great! is your model the rwd or awd? we reserved awd , originally was gonna reserve rwd with eap and fsd, but jumped on awd with no eap, or fsd. wanted to get full rebate and ny 2000 instead of 500 rebate. we dont have a service center nearby so it will be delivered to our home.
RWD, no EAP but I have to say I want EAP after driving it on the highway and watching the car detect everything around it. I believe the NY rebate is based on the base model price, so you'd get the full rebate either way. Makes a big difference all these rebates!
I'm driving to Rochester on August 17th if you want to meet up, check your conversations up next to the bell shaped icon up top (where you log in)

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
RWD, no EAP but I have to say I want EAP after driving it on the highway and watching the car detect everything around it. I believe the NY rebate is based on the base model price, so you'd get the full rebate either way. Makes a big difference all these rebates!
I'm driving to Rochester on August 17th if you want to meet up, check your conversations up next to the bell shaped icon up top (where you log in)
sounds great ! i will be watching the bell! ty and safe travels!

babula

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Anybody else from Brooklyn? Just put my order in today!
I live in Queens but I actually grew up close to the border of Queens & Brooklyn.

Have you seen a good amount of M3 in Brooklyn? I was hoping to be the first in Queens but I saw one a week before I picked mine up and I haven't seen it since... In general I don't see many on the road as of right now, but I always encounter a few when I go charge.

djejnyc

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I live in Queens but I actually grew up close to the border of Queens & Brooklyn.

Have you seen a good amount of M3 in Brooklyn? I was hoping to be the first in Queens but I saw one a week before I picked mine up and I haven't seen it since... In general I don't see many on the road as of right now, but I always encounter a few when I go charge.
I’ve only seen one, about one week before I picked mine up. Since then I’ve seen none! I know they’re out there....

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine will be arriving in a couple of weeks. Black LR AWD, still on the fence about EAP... Any tips on charging? I have a space in the lot behind my building, and there are a few plugs outside that I could look into running a cord to, but likely will be charging at the William Vale, Whole Foods, unless anyone has any other suggestions. I'm in 11211!

Hope to see you all around BK.

djejnyc

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine will be arriving in a couple of weeks. Black LR AWD, still on the fence about EAP... Any tips on charging? I have a space in the lot behind my building, and there are a few plugs outside that I could look into running a cord to, but likely will be charging at the William Vale, Whole Foods, unless anyone has any other suggestions. I'm in 11211!

Hope to see you all around BK.
Definitely add the supercharger behind the Brooklyn Museum, next to the Brooklyn Botanical Garden entrance. There are six there open now, with four more to be turned on soon. William Vale is valet only, if that bothers you. I’ve used it a bunch and it’s been great. Whole Foods is slow but free! Enjoy, I couldn’t be happier!

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Awesome, looks like we have identical builds! Can't wait to get mine and thanks for the tip about the Brooklyn Museum. William Vale is only a few blocks from me and I will probably check out the WF in Williamsburg too. I'm on the fence, there is a garage two blocks that has tesla charging that would only be 80 more a month than my parking spot behind my building. Keeping the car inside and charged vs the connivence of parking right behind my building and a few bucks.. I had a fantasy of finding someone who might split a garage, perhaps someone who drives to work everyday and I could come charge during the day. (I mostly work from home when not traveling) Anyway, cheers and hope to see you around BK.

djejnyc

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Awesome, looks like we have identical builds! Can't wait to get mine and thanks for the tip about the Brooklyn Museum. William Vale is only a few blocks from me and I will probably check out the WF in Williamsburg too. I'm on the fence, there is a garage two blocks that has tesla charging that would only be 80 more a month than my parking spot behind my building. Keeping the car inside and charged vs the connivence of parking right behind my building and a few bucks.. I had a fantasy of finding someone who might split a garage, perhaps someone who drives to work everyday and I could come charge during the day. (I mostly work from home when not traveling) Anyway, cheers and hope to see you around BK.
Yeah, I asked our garage (located in the building next door) but they said "Maybe." and that was a long time ago. There are some 110 outlets in the garage but I'm trying to determine how much it would be worth paying extra a month for a slow charge rate. We only use the car on the weekends so going to the Brooklyn Museum once every 10 days is not a hassle at all. Still, the we could definitely charge fully even with the 110 outlet during the week. Maybe it's worth $50 extra a month? If they had a Tesla charger I would definitely do it for $80, then you never have to worry about it again.
So far we've driven 3,000 miles and I've used pretty much every kind of charger, they are all faster than you realize, mostly because you don't sit around and watch it charge. I stayed for a weekend at my friends house in Connecticut and used their garage 110 outlet and overnight (probably 14hours total) it worked great.
I chatted with another Model 3 owner with the same build, we both agreed: amazing car! You're going to be so happy.

sjg98

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Brooklyn here..!
Model 3 delivery late September..
Obsidian Black LR AWD Aero

Similar situation - weekend car, though maybe Plan Z backup during L train shutdown.
Charging primarily @ William Vale, though I have used the Brooklyn Museum charger this weekend.

There's a few Teslas street parked near me and in my backup garage @ 325 Kent (who "may" add chargers)
I mainly park in a very small ~7 car partially outdoor "garage" that I can self park into, doubtful they will add charger for me.

Gowanus Whole Foods one was super slow when I tried it, like 15-20miles/hour.
Williamsburg Whole Foods is closer to me, and less insane inside, so probably not detouring to Gowanus again for the free charge.. it barely covers my round trip mileage to/from in an hour of charging.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It looks like there are a few ipark garages that have chargers in Williamsburg, which only cost 10 dollars if you park after 5 or 6am and leave by 6pm. (Hours vary slightly) this could be a great solution for me, as I don’t want to supercharge all the time and is very inexpensive. My car is mostly a weekend car as well.

sjg98

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
=
It looks like there are a few ipark garages that have chargers in Williamsburg, which only cost 10 dollars if you park after 5 or 6am and leave by 6pm. (Hours vary slightly) this could be a great solution for me, as I don’t want to supercharge all the time and is very inexpensive. My car is mostly a weekend car as well.
Interesting - do you know if the chargers themselves have a fee as well?

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I live in Brooklyn - Park Slope - and took delivery of my Model 3 Mid-Range in December. I love it! I also love the Superchargers at the Brooklyn Museum and on the road. For me and my husband it's a weekend car. It's only been a month, but charging on a regular basis at Level 2 is going to be more challenging to figure out, because always using a Supercharger is not good for the battery. Putting the car in a garage overnight, including a charge, would be about $38. I'm going to try it this week.

Last edited:

sjg98

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Re: Supercharging and battery damage
I've only had mine since September so I can't really speak to experience myself, however..
From my readings, if you are using Urban Superchargers every week or two, and only charging to 80 or maybe 90%, you don't have much to worry about.

I think the previous warnings were more for people driving 100s of miles per week and supercharging multiple times per week, especially at 120kW chargers..
Frequent charges above 90% are also recommended against.

Would love to find more convenient L2 chargers / garages in Brooklyn but so far not a lot of luck.
I'm in Williamsburg, but all the L2 chargers are on the North side.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Good advice, and maybe I'm worrying too much about Supercharging. But this is what I may do in order to charge at home: (1) Have an electrician run a 220/240 electric line from my basement electric panel up to the areaway in front of the house, with a NEMA 14-50 outdoor-grade outlet and locking cover. (2) Use a heavy-duty RV extension cord recommended by other Tesla owners, per Amazon, to reach the fence at the edge of my property; (3) plug the car in with the 20-foot mobile charger (4) cover the cable running across the sidewalk with a cable cover, like ConEd and film crews use. Charge for eight hours or so during the day, as needed, then unplug.

This scenario would cost me about $1,000 in labor and materials. Of course it would work only when I get a parking spot directly in front of my house. I could manage that by being vigilant during alternate side. I'm home during the day, so I can invest in a couple of hours once a week to do this.

I also want to promote EV ownership and demonstrate that it's possible in NYC. Is this a good way to model urban charging, or am I a little nuts? Or both?

Last edited: