Broken Tiny Side Window Replacement & Break-in Deterrents

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Made the mistake of parking my Model 3 on the street in a bit of a sketchy neighborhood in Oakland last night. Someone smashed the tiny rear window, reached in, and flipped down the seat to peer in the trunk. Luckily nothing was in the trunk, or I guess the next step was more glass breakage.

By the way, smashing the tiny window is considered a "courtesy move," as it is the least costly damage they could do.

I'll let everyone know what it costs to replace by Tesla. Repair appointment is May 24.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
It should be a pretty quick fix.. Notice the trim break right at the top seam and the door below, so I would imagine they'll pop the chrome, scrape off the old bead of goo (it's very thick), squirt on a new bead, press the glass on, snap the trim back on. Hopefully a same-day repair.

Quicksilver

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Made the mistake of parking my Model 3 on the street in a bit of a sketchy neighborhood in Oakland last night. Someone smashed the tiny rear window, reached in, and flipped down the seat to peer in the trunk. Luckily nothing was in the trunk, or I guess the next step was more glass breakage.

By the way, smashing the tiny window is considered a "courtesy move," as it is the least costly damage they could do.

I'll let everyone know what it costs to replace by Tesla. Repair appointment is May 24.

Wow! sorry to hear about this. Also interested in seeing what the cost will be to replace.

teslarob

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had the right rear moving glass broken on a work Model 3 in San Francisco at the end of last year. Stole ~$1000 worth of stuff that was in a bag in the trunk. The quarter glass breakage is very common on Model S as well. I've been trying to get in the habit of leaving the 2nd row seats folded if I park in the city :(

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
This past Saturday (May 12) I made the mistake of parking my Model 3 in a sketchy part of Oakland. When I came back to the car, the rear vent window had been smashed, and the seat was flipped down. Not sure what would have happened next if something had been in the trunk, luckily just the one tiny window was smashed.

I went online the next day, and made an online repair appointment. The soonest repair was May 24, and I reserved the appointment.

The next day on a whim I logged in and checked for a sooner appointment. Sure enough, one spot had just opened up (the rest of the current week was booked solid). Someone must have just canceled. So I reserved the repair time (May 17). I called the service center and asked if they would be able to have the part available this week. They said, "No problem." So I released the later repair date. I would have hated to come to the earlier appointment, just to wait for a part to arrive.

Late that same day (May14), the Mobile Service division called me and asked if I would mind having mobile repair come out and fix it at my house. I said, "Sure, that makes a lot of sense, as long as it's sooner." They said, yep, it's a day earlier.

Fast forward to today, May 16. The mobile repair car pulled up at the house pretty much on time. I was surprised to see a Model S rather than a van.

One interesting fact is that the rear vent window and chrome trim are one unit, as you can see from the pictures. The repair involves scraping out the bead of black window seal, reapplying a new bead of goo, then pressing the window assembly in place. The repair tech told me that he was very impressed with the design, because there are alignment pads that make the job almost foolproof. The assembly lined up with my trim exactly.

Forty minutes later, the car was as good as new.

Update on Cost

I originally had my repair cost posted here. But since I had a very early repair (before Tesla figured out how long it ACTUALLY takes to clean up the broken glass and replace the part), I got an abnormally low quote and charge. I'm no longer posting that here, because they undercharged me. My good luck, I guess, but not something you can expect.

The cost for this repair varies a little (taxes), but in general is roughly $400. The part is $190, there is 0.4 hours to clean glass (it gets everywhere, and even one shard in your skin is no bueno) and 0.7 hours to replace the part, which equals $192.50 of labor.

So expect ~$400.

Last edited:

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting that they did a repair for you without being able to tell you cost beforehand let alone right after.

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That really sucks that happened @John, though I am glad that they got it fixed so quickly for you.

It does have me second guessing keeping the charging cable in the trunk... it could make for an enticing smash and grab item as it could be sold for a couple hundred bucks pretty quickly.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That really sucks that happened @John, though I am glad that they got it fixed so quickly for you.

It does have me second guessing keeping the charging cable in the trunk... it could make for an enticing smash and grab item as it could be sold for a couple hundred bucks pretty quickly.
Yeah, frunk it or dunk it (in the under compartment of the trunk).

I don't carry my mobile charger with me, I use it at home as my primary charger. I might carry it on a trip, but if I forgot it and wasn't traveling to the middle of nowhere, I wouldn't go back to get it. Not likely that it would get used.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interesting that they did a repair for you without being able to tell you cost beforehand let alone right after.
Almost as interesting: that I approved them doing it without knowing. But they did give me SWAG: $300. And I figured, "How expensive could it be?"

Kinda woulda been funny (not funny) if they came back and said, "That will be $1700, please."

Doh!

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Almost as interesting: that I approved them doing it without knowing. But they did give me SWAG: $300. And I figured, "How expensive could it be?"

Kinda woulda been funny (not funny) if they came back and said, "That will be $1700, please."

Doh!
That’s a good point!

Mobocracy

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Just took my Model 3 to the body shop, Emeryville/Oakland boarder. Seem to target teslas, several in the shop for the same thing. 3s and S.

Attachments

Fz48

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Same thing happened to me yesterday and I took it to tesla service. How on earth they quoted me $650?

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Same thing happened to me yesterday and I took it to tesla service. How on earth they quoted me $650?
Tell them my story. It’s a very quick fix with one part and some black windshield goo. Ask if mobile is an option.

Fz48

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Tell them my story. It’s a very quick fix with one part and some black windshield goo. Ask if mobile is an option.
Thanks. I actually told them I got a friend in Berkley and got it fixed by mobile in 40min. They somehow told me (which I think is bs) that the littile tiny window repair is more expensive than the door window...