Break Into Tesla Model 3 Trunk in Under 15 Seconds

K-MTG

Country
Country
As advance as the Model 3 is...it is fairly easy to break-into the trunk.

Most modern cars only place the seat release in the trunk or have locking mechanisms. Since Tesla's don't have any glass-breakage sensors or motion alarms...we are going to see breakins like these happen.

It is possible that Tesla has sensors that detects folded seats and can allow the software to sound an alarm...or use the interior camera to detect motion while the car is locked...but as of right now...they aren't any security features to prevent this from happening.

3V Pilot

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
If someone is willing to break the window to access the trunk I'm sure they'd be just as willing to use a crowbar on the car next to me with locking seats to gain access there as well. IMO this is not that much of a concern, but then again I don't park in areas where cars have the glass broken either. An alarm doesn't prevent anyone from taking your stuff and their will never be a perfect solution. Personally I like having the seat release in an easy to access location from the cabin. Lots of other cars on the road have the same setup and I don't see them with smashed rear windows.

I could do the same video "Model 3 stolen in seconds with alarm activated".....just put it on a flatbed and drive off. Not going to worry about that either.......

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While that’s not good, I am with @Mike Land on this one. It’s incredibly rare I park somewhere where this will be a concern for me. Probably the only thing I can think of is a Heat game/concert down in Miami and last year we went to 1 combined.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
OTOH, the frunk of the Model 3 *does* appear to be a good place to store valuables.
Wait I thought the frunk wasn’t secure, or is that just on the S? Isn’t there an access point to cut power for emergency responders?

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Wait I thought the frunk wasn’t secure, or is that just on the S?
I think it's insecure for both the S and X. Tesla came up with a much better design for the 3.
Isn’t there an access point to cut power for emergency responders?
Yes. Step one is:
1. Open the hood. Refer to Opening the Hood on page 28 for instructions
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...del_3_Emergency_Response_Guide_en.pdf#page=14

Page 28 says:
To open the hood with 12 volt power enabled, touch the associated OPEN button on the touchscreen.
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...del_3_Emergency_Response_Guide_en.pdf#page=29

I assume you need a key in the vicinity in order for the touchscreen to function. Can a current owner confirm that? Otherwise, we have the same problem of someone just breaking a window to access the frunk. Also, I believe valet-mode disables access to the frunk.

Last edited:

teslarob

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My wife and I had about $800 worth of stuff stolen out of one of our development Model 3s in San Francisco a month and a half ago using this very method :mad: I thought about folding the seats down any time I park with nothing in the trunk so that thieves aren't tempted to break the glass. Frunk is definitely the most secure spot!

K-MTG

Country
Country
My wife and I had about $800 worth of stuff stolen out of one of our development Model 3s in San Francisco a month and a half ago using this very method :mad: I thought about folding the seats down any time I park with nothing in the trunk so that thieves aren't tempted to break the glass. Frunk is definitely the most secure spot!
That’s insane! Did they see you open the trunk before you left?

Would you be able to leave the same comment on the YouTube video? I would like to “pin” the comment....as many viewers are doubting the significant of this issue.

Thanks

ahagge

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While I agree that trunk entry once you're into the cabin isn't difficult, this is by no means unique to Model 3. Many other sedans with folding rear seats have the same issue. I think a few need a key to be able to fold down the rear seats, but in my experience, those are in the extreme minority.

For me it's always a matter of not parking in the "wrong" place, even if it means a (much) longer walk.

teslarob

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
That’s insane! Did they see you open the trunk before you left?

Would you be able to leave the same comment on the YouTube video? I would like to “pin” the comment....as many viewers are doubting the significant of this issue.

Thanks
Hi. Not sure if anyone saw me. It was an unfamiliar neighborhood, and I should have been tipped off by the broken glass in the parking spot before I pulled in :( They got the Model 3 as well as a Ford Fusion that was parked next to us.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Why is this a big deal if they break the window they can just push the button to open the trunk or pull the seat down in any car made with a trunk today or just about ever. Have a 68 mustang break window pull seat in the trunk in 30seconds

teslarob

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Why is this a big deal if they break the window they can just push the button to open the trunk or pull the seat down in any car made with a trunk today or just about ever. Have a 68 mustang break window pull seat in the trunk in 30seconds
It's not possible in every car. Plenty of models come with lockable 2nd row folding seats, so that even if the window was broken, the trunk would not be accessible. I think that is the point that K-MTG is trying to make.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yeah right ever see the movie gone in 60seconds if they want in or want the entire car it’s gone
Just so tired hearing those that have the car find nit picky little tiny things and blow them out of proportion. Some of us would just like the car period!!
No car is totally perfect !! None ever will be!!! Ever!!

Kizzy

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My 2005 Honda Accord has a lockable glove box, lockable trunk release, locking seatback, and lockable trunk passthrough.

It's a big deal because it's become a bit of a trend to break into Teslas in this fashion and Model 3 has the same vulnerability that does not need to exist.

Michael Russo

MSM Team Founder, Midnight S≡R≡NITY rider
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model S
Country
Country
People that have the car already stop being crazy.... some of us would just like to have the car!!
Yeah right ever see the movie gone in 60seconds if they want in or want the entire car it’s gone
Just so tired hearing those that have the car find nit picky little tiny things and blow them out of proportion. Some of us would just like the car period!!
No car is totally perfect !! None ever will be!!! Ever!!
Jopo43, take it easy... please... I haven’t seen much nitpicking from those who’ve already taken possession of their Model 3... mostly a mere reporting of their firsthand experience - which we’re all eager to share, you are correct... ;) - with a couple of areas for improvement.

Nobody expects this, or any car, to be perfect. The good news with T≡SLA, is they can - and will! - make it better.

We’re good.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My 2005 Honda Accord has a lockable glove box, lockable trunk release, locking seatback, and lockable trunk passthrough.

It's a big deal because it's become a bit of a trend to break into Teslas in this fashion and Model 3 has the same vulnerability that does not need to exist.
I haven’t had a car with a locking seat back in a long time and I haven’t lost an ounce of sleep of this. Perhaps I’m naive on this one and/or I essentially never street park and only park in generally safe areas.

Once someone has broken into my car, my thought is they can have the car. It’s also like a car accident, I generally don’t want the car back. Again possibly naive as I’ve never had my car broken into :)

Anything and everything can be replaced and that’s what insurance is for!