Brake squeak/squeal at stops

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
I have a model 3 RWD long range with about 5k miles, when I first got it I heard a few squeaks from the brakes when stopping at red lights or stop signs etc.. I looked up a couple forums and found some posts stating this was normal for Tesla’s during the break in process. Now it’s winter in Boston and I feel like the sound is getting worse. Anyone else with a similar experience, should I setup a service appointment?

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
there have been a couple reported to have a mis-aligned wire clip in the brake that was causing rubbing (and the squealing). Have your service center take a look.

Bigriver

Top-Contributor
Tesla Owner
Model X
Country
Country
Actually, we’ve been told by service that squeaky brakes can occur because they aren’t used often enough. It was recommended to us to turn off regen briefly every few weeks to exercise them (and get rid of any minor rust build up, I believe.) But you said yours have been squeaky from the beginning, so this is probably irrelevant for your situation.

garsh

Dis Member
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Actually, we’ve been told by service that squeaky brakes can occur because they aren’t used often enough.
Disuse like that will cause some rust to form on the rotors, and the brakes will make a louder grinding sound instead of a squeaking sound. Turning off regen isn't necessary though. Just using the brakes to come to a complete stop a few times is enough to rub off the rust.

Have the service center check for a mis-aligned brake pad clip.

Jay Jay

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've gotten this a number of times. I think every time it was related to frost/ice buildup since I was using regen (like down a mountain where I didn't touch the brakes once).

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Thanks everyone maybe I’m getting to use to the regen braking and not braking as much, I’ll try braking some more 😄 but I’ll also setup an appointment if I can find any time soon.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
My appointment is in a couple weeks, the sounds is getting more consistent and annoying at this point, disappointing for such a new car. I’ll keep you posted

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Actually, we’ve been told by service that squeaky brakes can occur because they aren’t used often enough. It was recommended to us to turn off regen briefly every few weeks to exercise them (and get rid of any minor rust build up, I believe.) But you said yours have been squeaky from the beginning, so this is probably irrelevant for your situation.
I agree. Last week my 6k brakes squeaked for the first time. I commute 700 miles/ week, all highway miles, so I really believe they will last 1,000,000 miles since I modulate most slow downs and turns.

r-e-l

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I just had my car in service and got the same explanation. So the service folks drove the car with "low" regen. They said I might need to do it once in a while myself. Sounds good except, the day after it came back. Either they didn't drive it enough or there is something else going on.

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Tesla mobile ended up repairing the brakes. The sound became so annoying. I wasn’t there while he repaired it but he mentioned the shim was rubbing against the rotor. I’m guessing he bent it back or replaced it 🤷🏾‍♂️

EarlyBuyer

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I had the same issue with my RWD long range. The squeaking/squealing started at first only when braking while backing up, however over a few weeks time it graduated to while driving forward as well. I took it into the service center and was told it was due to the brake spring clip(s)- (it wasn't specified if they were broken or if there was some other issue). In any case they are going to be replaced; currently they are on backorder. This is being handled as a warranty repair. My M3 has 14,400 miles on it.

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Mine squeals when pulling back out of the driveway after having driven in the rain/snow. I think it happens when the rotors are wet. After a few stops, the squeal gos away. I had just assumed it was the pad and rotor not liking the moisture...

Hey EarlyBuyer, Aqua in your avatar. Are you an architect?