Tesla Owners Online Forum banner

Brake Caliper Painting Prices?

35K views 66 replies 32 participants last post by  8barmusic 
#1 ·
I have no idea what brake caliper painting pricing should be. I found one shop around me that does it and they quoted $1100 which seems really high compared to the two prices I've seen on other forums.

Can anyone please post what you paid or were quoted?

Doing this myself is not something I'm willing to take on unfortunately.

#19 ·
There’s a place called NV coatings in Northern VA that does it for $400-500 was my quote. Is it normal that they won’t take the calipers off the car when they do it? I think maybe they powder coat it, whatever that means. Also, they won’t provide the white Tesla decal....do you guys know where I can get a good quality decal that won’t get destroyed on the caliper? Should they be made of a certain material? How will red calipers look on 18” TST Sportsline turbine space gray wheels on a blue model 3? Thanks!

#22 ·
Is it normal that they won't take the calipers off the car when they do it? I think maybe they powder coat it, whatever that means.
I wouldn't mess with getting my brake calipers painted - it doesn't improve them at all. Paint is somewhat of an insulator anyway. Metal radiates heat better. That said, if I had to have the color show through, I probably wouldn't want someone removing the calipers to paint them. The factory install has a lower chance of failure vs. someone messing with them. Also, to the best of my knowledge, powder coating requires baking the caliper bodies (after removal of pistons/seals). I can't see how that can be accomplished without removing the calipers!

It seems like this is a job for people that have more money than they know what to do with. Which is fine if that's the case. Just make sure the people working on it are fully qualified and meticulous. You might get a good job for $3-$500, or not. Personally, if I needed the calipers painted I wouldn't hesitate to pay $1000 if I trusted their abilities more. Because I don't like to dink around with "issues".

And that's my $0.02.

#52 ·
I did it myself. Not perfect but I am happy. I got quotes from 1200 (powder coating) to 500(Painting). Got mine done myself for $40. All I needed was a Jack stand and a 2T jack. It took me two week end days of 4 hours work each day for each side And then 2 hours on a third day for Decal install
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Attachments

#53 ·
I did it myself. Not perfect but I am happy. I got quotes from 1200 (powder coating) to 500(Painting). Got mine done myself for $40. All I needed was a Jack stand and a 2T jack. It took me two week end days of 4 hours work each day for each side And then 2 hours on a third day for Decal install View attachment 34928
Looks perfect to me. Nice job.

#54 ·
Did mine for $55 and about 8hrs on each side, two at a time over two days. :cool:

Don't waste your time with a rattle can job, sure it's easier, but not nearly as thick or durable of a coating. And the cheesy caliper covers...just no! :rolleyes:

G2 Epoxy Caliper Kit on Amazon...many colors available.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Hood

Attachments

Reactions: xonelith
#65 ·
Did mine for $55 and about 8hrs on each side, two at a time over two days. :cool:

Don't waste your time with a rattle can job, sure it's easier, but not nearly as thick or durable of a coating. And the cheesy caliper covers...just no! :rolleyes:

G2 Epoxy Caliper Kit on Amazon...many colors available.
Did two cars with G2 Brake Caliper Paint System and they last forever, one did 5 years ago (an Acura) and another one (a BMW) did 10 years ago. Caliper did not collect brake pad dust and when it get dirty just do a quick powerwash and it is like brand new again. I only paid the pain $30 when it was on sale.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.