Boston Area / Massachusetts Thread

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Okay, we have a sighting! Midnight silver with aero wheels, spotted today at the Dedham Service Center (via Tesla Owners New England Facebook group) :

RIGHT NOW THERE IS A MODEL 3 IN THE DEDHAM SC! I asked if it’s for the showroom floor, but it’s not. It’s actually for some lucky early reservation holder. They’re being very secretive with it and would only let me view it from about 20 feet and taking pictures was a no-no. Looks awesome!
My (unsubstantiated) guess is that this is the employee car whose existence a few of the local store employees have alluded to in recent months...

At any rate, calibrate your Boston-area Model 3 radars accordingly!

fb_img_1508940761711-jpg.3878
fb_img_1508940769188-jpg.3879

Last edited:

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't think I'll be able to drive down to Deadham till Saturday, and it will probably be long gone. Thanks for posting and keep us updated!

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I don't think I'll be able to drive down to Deadham till Saturday, and it will probably be long gone. Thanks for posting and keep us updated!
Yes, I'd expect so. Even if you were able to drop by today, I don't think you'd be able see it. I did end up stopping by this store/SC on the way to work, and wasn't able to see the Model 3 anywhere inside or outside. I even tried buttering up the nice woman at the desk with questions about an S75D and what's going on with the inventory-car supply, and it didn't get me anywhere. :)

I did glean the following bits of information, though:
  • They are fully aware that the instant anyone finds out they have a Model 3, they will be swarmed, so they are keeping it out of public view and not letting anyone see it while it is there.

• They were aware that someone posted on social media this morning about the Model 3 at their service center, and they almost immediately experienced an influx of visitors asking about the car. As a result, they (apparently) covered the car and stopped allowing people into the surrounding area. ("It's like they've got the Secret Service locking it down.")

• The owner of the Model 3 apparently "lives out of state, south of here, somewhere like Florida" (?!) but "chose to take delivery here" (?!?!). As a result, they do not expect this car to stick around for long. (My take: this claim is either a diversion, or accurately reflects a Boston-area employee who spends the winter in a warmer clime, as happens a lot around here.)

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
A Tesla Solar employee took delivery today in Dedham. Keep your eyes peeled for this one... That multi-coat red is hard to miss!

fb_img_1512172656082-jpg.4236
fb_img_1512172660262-jpg.4237
fb_img_1512172665957-jpg.4238

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Via TMC user DovaCam: another Model 3 has been spotted at the Dedham Service Center. This one is blue with aero wheels, making it the third (?) car to have been spotted here (in addition to Midnight Silver + Aeros and Red + Sports).

2017-12-03-model-3-in-dedham-jpg.4269

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
On a whim, I just swung by the Dedham store and parked behind the lot shown in the picture above. There were no Model 3s in the lot, but much to my excitement, there was a semi-truck with an "automotive transport" trailer (branded "Variety" or something with a V).

Even more exciting, just after I pulled up, the driver started opening the rear door of the trailer... to reveal...... a silver Model S (womp-womp!)

.... but then I noticed there was another car on the upper level that I could see through an opening in the side of the trailer, and from the door handles, I could clearly see that it was..... a blue Model S (womp-womp!)

There did not appear to be any other cars in the trailer. :(

Here's something interesting that I did notice, though: across the street from Tesla, next to the abandoned Volvo dealership at 825 Providence Highway, there is a secluded parking lot (barely visible from the road) that had about 10-15 Model S/X just parked there. I did a quick Google search and could not find any evidence that Tesla has bought this property, but it would certainly make sense if they had in order to expand their service capacity in advance of the Model 3.

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
WOW. Mere hours after I abandoned my Dedham stalking mission, it looks like a blue Model 3 with aero wheels (likely the same one spotted at Dedham earlier) was seen in the delivery bay!!! ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?!?! :eek::eek::eek:

model-3-boston-via-pjwood1-jpg.4288

(photo credit: InsideEVs reader pjwood1)

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yikes! I picked a bad week to be off the forum! Looks like I need to take a drive out to Deadham this weekend. Might as well loop around to Natick as well.

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Yikes! I picked a bad week to be off the forum! Looks like I need to take a drive out to Deadham this weekend. Might as well loop around to Natick as well.
You might want to add the Watertown Service Center to your loop... :)

m3watertown1-jpg.4365
m3watertown2-jpg.4366

Images courtesy of a poster on the Tesla Owners New England Facebook group, who remarked:

Saw my first model 3 at the Watertown service center. There is some that works there that got it last week. Said there are only two others in Massachusetts.

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Via TMC user trmmcd:
While having my car serviced at the Dedham MA SC he said they have had a few Model 3s through there already and have more coming in. I as glad to hear that some Boston area deliveries have happened but more importantly - the guy said people are going to be surprised how fast they start happening. Sounds like very good news.
That's very encouraging to hear. I might have to do another Dedham stakeout this week. :)

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
And here they are.... three of them (red, black, and midnight silver, all with aeros) spotted yesterday at Dedham by TMC user CarlSagan!

m3-dedham-cs1-jpeg.4399

That pretty much settles it -- I'm invoking the "It's my Birthday" rule and knocking off work to check it out! Pleeeease please please please still be there!

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Looks like the red one with sport wheels is back at Dedham today. Instagram user lor3nzo_com posted these pictures, along with the VIN (1007).

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
TMC User kwest2 (EDIT: aka @kweezy) saw the red one at Dedham again today, and got the VIN (1365). He also chatted with one of the employees:

Visited the Dedham MA Tesla center to do my first ever test drive and EAP experience. As I was leaving, a Red 3 pulled in. VIN 1365. To be delivered to an employee and was told it was the "8th or 9th" delivered there so far. They said that Tesla hopes to get all employee orders delivered by year end to get the quick tax credit benefit.
Very dirty sorry. Was told they were going to clean it before the official delivery. It's the first 3 I've seen near Boston.

(Side-note: this sighting apparently occurred around the same time I was right by the Dedham store with my wife and son. We had been shopping at Costco next door, and I insisted that we drive by the Tesla lot real quick to see what was there. Although we only saw the black Model 3 -- parked in the same space as before -- it was nice that a third-party was able to independently verify that, yes, it was real, and not a hallucinogenic byproduct of my Teslamania. :))

Last edited:

Cintoman

Never thought I'd be able to contribute to this post, or ever actually see a Model 3 in person...After all, I'm all the way on the East Coast, and about 40 mins away from the closest Service Center (Dedham, MA). But reading about how there's been a few sightings at the Dedham store, I figured I'd swing by, since I was planning on doing some shopping closeby up there. I had Friday off from work, got a head start on some shopping, and by the time I got to the store, it was about 3:30pm or so. But sure enough, there were some Model 3's !! I can't even explain how super-excited I was to finally see a Model 3 in person. After all, it was this exact location nearly 2 years ago, that I waited in line to put my deposit down on Day 1. And, although the cars were quite dirty, it was starting to snow, and the lighting/conditions were pretty horrible (cloudy), they still looked amazing. Again, although tough to believe despite so many people saying so, they really do look SO much better in person than in pics.

They're the same ones a few others have posted up above, but why not get a few more pics. They were VIN's 1365, 1147, and 576. Here are the grainy pics:
12-15-2017-model-3-dedham-paul-001-jpg.4457
12-15-2017-model-3-dedham-paul-002-jpg.4458
12-15-2017-model-3-dedham-paul-003-jpg.4459
12-15-2017-model-3-dedham-paul-004-jpg.4460
12-15-2017-model-3-dedham-paul-006-jpg.4461
12-15-2017-model-3-dedham-paul-007-jpg.4462
12-15-2017-model-3-dedham-paul-008-jpg.4463

!vinbot Model 3 #576 #1147 #1365

-- Cintoman

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'm a week behind on posts so without knowing all your recent sitings and just going by the first few last week, today was the day I could go for a long drive, and I am SO thrilled that I too was able to see my first Model 3s at Dedham today!

First I drove to the Watertown service center where sadly there were no 3s to be seen, including peeking inside the bays.

Then I drove to Dedham, my first visit to that location. Front lots were full of S&X, but nothing to see. Then I peered through the fence to the right and could just barely see the one bumper that was not like the others!! (first pic in the video below)

I scrambled across the yard of Hooters and around back, and there it was, right in front of me! I had to stand on the snirt pile to get a few shots. A little sad I could not take in the full beauty from the front. I did feel the aero covers looked better in person, but I don't like them much with the black.

Then I scanned a bit and spotted another black one in the back, so I tried to walk towards it a bit. Then I spotted the red beauty parked behind the building, sticking out from the lineup saying hi! As I thought the aero wheels look better with the red. I still really wish the red was brighter/a bit more orange. But I'll still take it :)

So does this mean there have been at least six 3s spotted in Dedham? Maybe for sales staff?

Just my iPhone so no good zoom shots, but it will hold me over for a bit.
The funny thing is I showed the pics to my wife, at first she said she can't see the difference. :rolleyes: Then she said ooh I really like those black wheels! Hah!

Cintoman

I'm a week behind on posts so without knowing all your recent sitings and just going by the first few last week, today was the day I could go for a long drive, and I am SO thrilled that I too was able to see my first Model 3s at Dedham today!

First I drove to the Watertown service center where sadly there were no 3s to be seen, including peeking inside the bays.

Then I drove to Dedham, my first visit to that location. Front lots were full of S&X, but nothing to see. Then I peered through the fence to the right and could just barely see the one bumper that was not like the others!! (first pic in the video below)

I scrambled across the yard of Hooters and around back, and there it was, right in front of me! I had to stand on the snirt pile to get a few shots. A little sad I could not take in the full beauty from the front. I did feel the aero covers looked better in person, but I don't like them much with the black.

Then I scanned a bit and spotted another black one in the back, so I tried to walk towards it a bit. Then I spotted the red beauty parked behind the building, sticking out from the lineup saying hi! As I thought the aero wheels look better with the red. I still really wish the red was brighter/a bit more orange. But I'll still take it :)

So does this mean there have been at least six 3s spotted in Dedham? Maybe for sales staff?

Just my iPhone so no good zoom shots, but it will hold me over for a bit.
The funny thing is I showed the pics to my wife, at first she said she can't see the difference. :rolleyes: Then she said ooh I really like those black wheels! Hah!
Those were the exact 3 I saw on my visit to Dedham on Friday. I kinda "didn't see" the "Private Property" signs telling us not to walk to the sides and the back of the building. But while I was back there, there was an employee showing the black Model 3 (next to the blue S with the orange cone at the base of the windshield) to someone, so I asked him if it was OK if I took a look at them. He said it was fine. After drooling and taking a few pics, I went inside the store to get some questions answered about the Wall Mount Charger, which I'm planning to install soon in my garage.

Then, on my way out, even though I was parked on the right side of the building, I "took the long way around the barn" and walked from the left side, out back again, and exited out the right side. There was an service employee parking an S out back, and saw me, but I tried to avoid making eye contact. As I got into my car, he walked over, approached me and asked me what I was doing back there. So I told him my story (1st Model 3 I'd seen, Day 1 reservation holder, another guy said it was OK, etc....) He basically said it's a BIG NOOOOO to go back there, because those were not Tesla-owned cars, but rather customer-owned, and they don't want anyone touching or damaging these cars. I apologized, and told him it wouldn't happen again, and before you knew it, once he realized how passionate I was and that I was not acting maliciously, we ended up chatting for a good 45 minutes. He assured me that he'd take exceptional care of my car once it arrives in (hopefully) a few months.

--Cintoman

Bokonon

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Awesome!! Glad you got to see them in person!

I had the same impression of the aero wheels, BTW -- they do somehow look better in person, but not quite good enough to keep.

Yep, it's something like six. The six I remember are:

1. Midnight silver with aero wheels spotted in the service bays ("it's headed south for the winter", I was told)
2. Blue with aero wheels spotted in the back lot and in the delivery bay
3. Red with sport wheels, seen at least twice (once out front -- "heading to Burlington" IIRC -- and another time in the side lot last week)
4. Black with aero wheels currently in back lot
5. Other black (midnight silver?) with aero wheels currently in back lot
6. Red with aero wheels currently in back lot (supposedly getting delivered soon)

Per kweezy's conversation with the Dedham employee, there are apparently "2 or 3" others that have been delivered. The one spotted at Watertown was probably delivered there, since it is owned by one of the service employees who works there. I can't speak to the other(s), but it's certainly exciting to see the deliveries start to pick up.