Body rust warranty: 12 years, unlimited miles

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Moderator edit.
Warranty document:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

Rust warranty is 12 years/unlimited mile.
Title has been updated.

Original post below:

----
Saw a copy of the warrenty details in another thread. Warrenty details here:

https://electrek.co/2017/12/20/tesla-model-3-warranty-new-battery-capacity-retention-guarantee/

Am I reading this right? Is the corrosion warranty only within the basic warranty, thus limited to 4 years/80,000 kms?

Can someone chime in here to confirm my interpretation please?

Looks like I may have to start a Rust Check/Krown thread soon......

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandy

One obsession to the next
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Saw a copy of the warrenty details in another thread. Warrenty details here:

https://electrek.co/2017/12/20/tesla-model-3-warranty-new-battery-capacity-retention-guarantee/

Am I reading this right? Is the corrosion warranty only within the basic warranty, thus limited to 4 years/80,000 kms?

Can someone chime in here to confirm my interpretation please?

Looks like I may have to start a Rust Check/Krown thread soon......
Mike, Over the years for all my ‘keepers’ I have used Krown. I never bought into having to use it annually. I just use it new and then every 3 years or so after. In our winter super excess salt environment it’s a must especially as the 3 has a much higher steel content. In the vehicles I did treat, winter drive and keep 10 years I never had an issue with rust.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Mike, Over the years for all my ‘keepers’ I have used Krown. I never bought into having to use it annually. I just use it new and then every 3 years or so after. In our winter super excess salt environment it’s a must especially as the 3 has a much higher steel content. In the vehicles I did treat, winter drive and keep 10 years I never had an issue with rust.
Sandy, thanks. I have used these products sporadically for decades and have had good results. I also only get it done every 3rd year.

I have two issues, one being guys drilling holes in my door jambs and doglegs. I may remove all interior trim items before a treatment.

The second issue, anytime it rains, I get the Krown film on all my windows. I'm seriously considering that when I get the initial treatment done, it's only to the belt line and not touch the greenhouse.

I guess I have a year to mull it over ;)

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for bringing this up. My last few cars have all had a 10-year corrosion warranty so this is a point where Tesla is not competing. Not good news for those of us in the rust belt.

GTV6

Country
Country
Interested to know if anyone has had a rust-through issue on recent cars of any kind. I haven’d had any rust issues in spite of high salt winters since my 1984 Vanagon began to bubble along the body welds. Our Honda Element did blow a head gasket when a coolant fitting rusted through at 100K and 5 years. I’ve had cars for as long as 20 years with no rust and just regular washing. Have there been any evidence of rust on any Tesla to date?

Tom Hudson

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Aren't Tesla bodies aluminum? We have a 2000 Honda Insight (aluminum body) and that thing is spotless -- and we live in Wisconsin, Road Salt Central. I know aluminum can corrode, but not seeing any on the Insight makes me wonder how big the problem might be vs. steel. Our 1997 Solectria Force (EV conversion of steel-body Geo Metro) just had rust-through on the left rear quarter panel last year.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Aren't Tesla bodies aluminum?
IIRC, the Model 3 has aluminum doors, hood and trunk lid. The A, B, and C pillars, as well as all four fenders plus the body panel running under the doors (between the wheel wells) is steel.

Perhaps a current owner, armed with a magnet, could confirm this?

JWardell

Legendary Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Interested to know if anyone has had a rust-through issue on recent cars of any kind. I haven’d had any rust issues in spite of high salt winters since my 1984 Vanagon began to bubble along the body welds. Our Honda Element did blow a head gasket when a coolant fitting rusted through at 100K and 5 years. I’ve had cars for as long as 20 years with no rust and just regular washing. Have there been any evidence of rust on any Tesla to date?
I have had several rusting/paint bubbling issues in my MINI, below the tail lights and in parts of the door sills. I'm not counting components and bolts and things, those things all rust up in a year or two.
And just a few months ago I discovered chunks of my brake rotors were coming off because they are so rusted. Very concerned about that with a Tesla that will also sit in the driveway getting rusty brakes whenever it rains, but not wearing it off because of using regen instead of brakes.

Robert

Country
Country
Good catch on the warranty Mike! I just looked at the Canadian warranties for Honda, Toyota, and Nissan, they all are basically 5 years with unlimited km for corrosion perforation. Wonder if Tesla missed inserting a specific corrosion statement in the Model 3 warranty.

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Good catch on the warranty Mike! I just looked at the Canadian warranties for Honda, Toyota, and Nissan, they all are basically 5 years with unlimited km for corrosion perforation. Wonder if Tesla missed inserting a specific corrosion statement in the Model 3 warranty.
My wife always jokes to the uninitiated that I'm "that guy that will read the 17 pages of fine print for xxxxxxxx".

All kidding aside, IMHO, the part of the car that everyone worries about, the battery, has essentially been solved by Tesla. As long as one takes care of it, it will take care of you.

Where I am wary with Tesla is dealing with the anodyne issues such as corrosion protection because they don't have enough long term data on that.

Sandy

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ah,,thanks! Had one of those moments and could not remember the correct term.
Have had many years removing sill plate covers to spray rust proofing compound inside....
I agree with the below the belt line only for Krown. To me the ‘biggies’ are rocker panels, lower door seams, rear wheel well arch seams, rear trunk lower seam and suspension components.

I’m retired and the 3 is going to be a second car for us. My toy :) It’s going to be expensive to buy in Canada as I want a loaded Dual motor and I very well may park it for the worst part of the winter. We have an AWD Escape with an extra set of Bridgestone WS80 winters on 17” alloys for that.

P.S. I believe the Door sill is the lower portion of the door jam whereas the rocker panel runs along below the doors from wheel well to wheel well.

Last edited:

Mike

Legendary Member
Country
Country
I agree with the below the belt line only for Krown. To me the ‘biggies’ are rocker panels, lower door seams, rear wheel well arch seams, rear trunk lower seam and suspension components.

I’m retired and the 3 is going to be a second car for us. My toy :) It’s going to be expensive to buy in Canada as I want a loaded Dual motor and I very well may park it for the worst part of the winter.

P.S. I believe the sill is the lower portion of the door jam whereas the rocker panel runs along below the doors from wheel well to wheel well.
I agree with your list of "the biggies". The rear wheel arches especially. That is why, a few months ago, I was asking about confirmation if the rear wheel wells were trimmed out to the edge of the body steel. It seems they are.

Sidebar: I had a Lincoln for 28 years that was summer use only. It does make a difference.

As for our two daily drivers, they are washed (by me) every day that the roads are gummed up with salt and grime (such as our drive yesterday on hwy 401 for a few hours). Our retirement home was designed to have a garage that would allow this function:

20171223_122031-jpg.4553

Maybe a garage update in your future ;)?

Robert

Country
Country
IIRC, the Model 3 has aluminum doors, hood and trunk lid. The A, B, and C pillars, as well as all four fenders plus the body panel running under the doors (between the wheel wells) is steel.

Perhaps a current owner, armed with a magnet, could confirm this?
If the fenders are in fact steel, does anyone know if the wheel wells have a plastic liner to protect the fenders from rusting?

Sandy

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I agree with your list of "the biggies". The rear wheel arches especially. That is why, a few months ago, I was asking about confirmation if the rear wheel wells were trimmed out to the edge of the body steel. It seems they are.

Sidebar: I had a Lincoln for 28 years that was summer use only. It does make a difference.

As for our two daily drivers, they are washed (by me) every day that the roads are gummed up with salt and grime (such as our drive yesterday on hwy 401 for a few hours). Our retirement home was designed to have a garage that would allow this function:

View attachment 4553

Maybe a garage update in your future ;)?
Somehow I just can’t see myself washing cars in here ;)

ef6b95e8-2dad-4825-8431-56b16938e364-jpeg.4566

7c322ed4-2a60-4a1c-9da4-1934bec0a1e0-jpeg.4565

b4543381-2f16-44a1-9619-c991ee0c3792-jpeg.4567