Bluetooth issues?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But this is still being driven by Bluetooth, no?
Yes. But you're eliminating the walk-up-unlock transaction attempts, and apparently replacing them with one transaction at touch. Someone can weigh in and say whether it is sometimes laggy or not, I guess that might potentially be a drawback.

(The actual Bluetooth messages can happen in milliseconds, but sometimes phones have a fair amount of unpredictable wake up or background stuff to plow through before they are responsive to certain kinds of activities. Helps if you've just been messing with your phone.)

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I inquired about this when I pre-traded my S. I was told it would “carry over” from the S. So far, they were right, I just entered my cryptic credentials and it came right up.
But is it useable in more than one place at a time? I thought I read somewhere it’s one place at a time...and if you try to use it elsewhere you get an error message.

I thought my 3 would have its own account separate from my wife’s S.

Edit: perhaps we should have a separate thread for Slacker, I feel I’ve posted off topic too much in here...sorry all.

atebit

Event Horizon II
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ah good point. I have had it complain in the past if I try to play it on multiple devices simultaneously.

Tech support seems like your best bet as every time I reach out to Slacker for questions they refer me to Tesla.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
While Bluetooth does disconnect gracefully if you walk out of range, it doesn't always behave as well if you hover around the fringes of reception.
Ah, that's some good enlightenment. Now I know why my older Samsung watch sometimes becomes completely unresponsive with rapid battery drain when I take the dog out and leave my paired phone inside... the distance from my couch to the dog's "favorite spot" is probably right at the edge of Bluetooth range.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
To really get Bluetooth right, Tesla may need some special love from Apple and Google. Maybe it's creative use of newer frameworks like Home Kit (in Apple's case), a better choice of BLE profile, access to some undocumented APIs, or just some insider tips—but from a first principles perspective these simple transactions and use cases, while only recently in heavy demand, should be possible to get right.

Country
Country
I’ll be getting my Model 3 in a couple of weeks and my BT-paired phone will spend a fair bit of time at home in relatively close proximity to the car given my bedroom is right above the garage. Any suggestions for potential issues/problems I might face and things I could do to avoid/remedy them?

Thanks very much.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’ll be getting my Model 3 in a couple of weeks and my BT-paired phone will spend a fair bit of time at home in relatively close proximity to the car given my bedroom is right above the garage. Any suggestions for potential issues/problems I might face and things I could do to avoid/remedy them?

Thanks very much.
You will absolutely want to turn off walk up unlock -- although it seems like that may be forced in the latest update anyway. Basically on the current version that 99% of Model 3 owners are on if you have walk up unlock "on" and walk away lock "on", with your phone close by indefinitely your car will do the dance -- locked, unlocked, locked, unlocked.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had to do that thing today where you uncheck the "sync contacts" option to get the phone to work as a key.
Using mobile app version 3.3.4 and car software 2018.10.5.

SoFlaModel3

T≡SLATUNITY
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had to do that thing today where you uncheck the "sync contacts" option to get the phone to work as a key.
Using mobile app version 3.3.4 and car software 2018.10.5.
Really? Are you on Android or iOS? I haven’t had any issues in a while iOS side.

OneSixtyToOne

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My car was delivered on Saturday. The build was perfect, This morning (Monday), however, when I entered my car, the Bluetooth profiles in the car were missing. I rebooted the car and everything was there again. Anyone else have this issue?

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Really? Are you on Android or iOS? I haven’t had any issues in a while iOS side.
iOS. Latest everything. Thank goodness someone posted a comment about the "contacts" bug. I do want my contacts to sync, but more important than that is not fumbling around with my phone and having to pull out my wallet for the key card. Without your phone working, it's like the car forgets who you are. Very disconcerting. "Hey, it's me. C'mon!"

nameless

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
I've been having issues with bluetooth pretty much nonstop. In the four days since I took delivery, the car forgot all paired phones twice, stopped recognizing one of the phones as a key at least once (I could still open the trunk from the app, control fans, etc., but, in the place where it said "phone as key", it said "disconnected", and I had to use the keycard to start the car.) Once I tried to unpair one of the phones (because I was using it to play something through bluetooth earbuds, and Tesla's audio system was repeatedly trying to elbow in and hijack the playback. Annoying!) That sent the audio system into limbo: as far as Tesla was concerned, it remained paired, but it couldn't actually do anything with the phone (it certainly couldn't connect to it, and it couldn't even delete it.)

This is with two Samsung Galaxy phones (S7 and Note 4), firmware 2018.10.5 and app 3.3.4.

I sure hope that their autopilot is coded better than that.

smak

Country
Country
I've had more issues with bluetooth phone/audio not working, than bluetooth not unlocking the door.

2-1 to be exact.

Reboot fixed all 3 (the first time it was both problems).

Reboot is so fast, It's not a big deal.

Joan O

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I am going bananas with my 3. From the time I got it 2 months ago my phone key works for maybe 3 days maybe for an hour. I never know if it is going to work. I have called Tesla at least 10 times and spent ages on the phone with each agent trying to talk me through a set of instructions that may or may not work that invariably are slightly different from each other. I have had it serviced and still my phone key is unreliable. Has anyone out there gotten a fix of some kind from Tesla? I also think the customer service is appalling. The wait times are really long.

Mattiuswb

Country
Country
Current owners have you had any issues with Bluetooth? I just got in my car from work and my phone has disappeared from the BT device list and can’t be found.

The phone as a key still works...
I have had my 3 for 2 months. No issues with access
Following up in case this happens to anyone. A hard reset did not fix it. Leaving the car, letting it lock, and having it be off for a few minutes did though.
same issue. Have had car for 2 months. Works as key flawless but often will forget my phone and then won't find it. Happened to get a new phone (iPhone x) and it worked for 2 weeks. Now just won't connect like before. Ugh. Figure it out Tesla!

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I now use my phone's Settings to turn off Bluetooth when I get home, then use the quick swipe menu to turn it back on when I am going to get in my car (on Android you can use quick swipe for both; Apple's quick swipe just turns it off "until tomorrow"). I don't do this at stores or at at any location where I'll be clearly out of Bluetooth range (> 100 feet, behind walls). In those cases, I leave Bluetooth on. The phone as key works all the time if I do this. Kind of a pain, but better than rebooting.

The reason I do this is because I've designed the Bluetooth products and I've had to deal with this issue on my products already. Bluetooth wasn't designed with "coming and going" in mind, so if you hover at the fringes of reception—like in most peoples' houses—you'll eventually invoke a stack ban, and restoring communications will require a restart. It's very frustrating for app developers like Tesla to deal with, because it's buried in the OS at a level app developers are deliberately not granted access to. It's never an issue for devices that are stationary, so most companies don't encounter it.

If you're lucky enough to have a home/garage that blocks Bluetooth or is far enough away from your phone, you won't have to do this.

Longer term, Apple and Google need to help app developers deal with "coming and going" Bluetooth use cases. Wouldn't take much. They could start by exposing signal strength and perhaps allowing app developers to read and reset the timeouts and retry limits that lead to stack bans. In the past, they have been loathe to do this for battery life reasons.

Last edited: