Bluetooth issues?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

M3OC Rules

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Folks, let's not have this devolve into an iOS/Android war, there are other forums on the internet for that. Keep it Tesla please. Bluetooth sucks in general, on both platforms.
Given that iOS and Android constantly update Bluetooth and never seem to work consistently I worry these problems are never going to end. This is actually the thing that worries me most about this car. You nailed it. Bluetooth sucks in general. Tesla may have bit off an unchewable chunk of gristle on this one.

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My company has written iOS and Android Bluetooth apps. Bluetooth depends on an especially tall and touchy stack of software from multiple vendors, including iOS and Android. Probably Tesla started with a very optimistic coding scheme— assuming connections stay up, and transactions complete — and perhaps adoption of a more realistic and pessimistic model may help. For those of you who write software, it's like trying to save to a variable that sometimes might not be there, depending on the physical distances and the angle of a phone, or the recent movement history of the user. Oh, and if you try too often, you get silently locked out until reboot, perhaps of both devices.

Imagine seeing, "I notice you just started your Model 3 with your card instead of your phone. Perhaps you should reboot your phone?"

Its almost as if Bluetooth was written for two devices that stand still — which it was. Alas.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I will continue to watch this, but so far with 2018.4.9, I turned back on contacts sharing and my phone/music have been fine!!

atebit

Event Horizon II
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I had one issue last weekend where the phone worked great for media, but disconnected as the key. Toggling Bluetooth while standing near the car fixed it.

The car has since pulled an update but due to snow here I haven’t tried it yet.
: popcorn

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I will continue to watch this, but so far with 2018.4.9, I turned back on contacts sharing and my phone/music have been fine!!
Well it looks like I had a good run of 3.5 days. Sadly my phone has disappeared from the car as far as audio/calls are concerned. Though like before it remains solid for “phone as a key”. :mad::mad::mad:

Unlike last time, I didn’t try to fix it. I’m curious if the car finds my phone in the morning or if it’s gone for good until I delete it and try to sync up again.

rareohs

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
is it true that Bluetooth is the *only* way to connect phone to car?

for phone calls?

even for music??

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Well it looks like I had a good run of 3.5 days. Sadly my phone has disappeared from the car as far as audio/calls are concerned. Though like before it remains solid for “phone as a key”. :mad::mad::mad:

Unlike last time, I didn’t try to fix it. I’m curious if the car finds my phone in the morning or if it’s gone for good until I delete it and try to sync up again.
To follow up on my own madness. The phone worked again today. Apparently leaving it alone is the best thing to do.

is it true that Bluetooth is the *only* way to connect phone to car?

for phone calls?

even for music??
That’s correct calls and music from the phone are over BT only.

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
No line in port?

And no SiriusXM.... so music options are FM radio, BT phone... and....?

Can you play MP3s directly off a USB stick?
No line in.
No SiriusXM
Yes to MP3s off of a USB stick though I've never done it
Yes to FM
Streaming Radio is nice

I prefer my Apple Music streaming over BT though.

rareohs

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Slacker has free (with ads) and paid (no ads) tiers... I’d assume the stock Slacker app in a Tesla is free/ads?

SoFlaModel3

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Slacker has free (with ads) and paid (no ads) tiers... I’d assume the stock Slacker app in a Tesla is free/ads?
Well I haven't used it a lot -- really just the 2 days that my BT failed and I never heard an ad. I was also able to switch tracks without issue/ad as well. Small sample size though, so maybe someone with more playtime can confirm.

mig

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Well I haven't used it a lot -- really just the 2 days that my BT failed and I never heard an ad. I was also able to switch tracks without issue/ad as well. Small sample size though, so maybe someone with more playtime can confirm.
I've used slacker quite a bit, no ads! Also haven't hit any skip limits like on some other streaming services.

I'm skeptical given other developments that the LTE data service, streaming, etc will all turn into paid services at some point though...

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It’s free (no ads) and you can get your login credentials from Tesla and use it elsewhere (work computer, phone, etc.)

EDIT: Wanted to add that my wife uses hers on her iPad all the time. No commercials, an ability to select specific artists not to play, a mode that gives a bit of backstory (like if you pick a certain band, it will play music like it and explain why... like "The Killers were inspired by this band, and Brandon Flowers liked them so much, he included them in his lyrics for... " etc. It's kind of neat. I have yet to get my login credentials so I can't say for 100% it will work for Model 3 owners. I really hope it will.

Last edited:

rareohs

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
It’s free (no ads) and you can get your login credentials from Tesla and use it elsewhere (work computer, phone, etc.)

EDIT: Wanted to add that my wife uses hers on her iPad all the time. No commercials, an ability to select specific artists not to play, a mode that gives a bit of backstory (like if you pick a certain band, it will play music like it and explain why... like "The Killers were inspired by this band, and Brandon Flowers liked them so much, he included them in his lyrics for... " etc. It's kind of neat. I have yet to get my login credentials so I can't say for 100% it will work for Model 3 owners. I really hope it will.
Cool, thanks! Not sure if that sounds good enough to replace Spotify, but at least it's free and built-in!

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
For what it's worth, I've programmed apps for Bluetooth on both iOS and Android, and I'll be turning OFF the walk up to unlock feature.

If you want to hear a little technical detail, which is NOT interesting to most people, I know, read on.

The design of Bluetooth has always made certain assumptions about usage. These assumptions don't cover every edge case. Most notably, they assume that you will connect to a device and then stay within range during usage. This covers 98% of Bluetooth products, which are mostly related to audio. While Bluetooth does disconnect gracefully if you walk out of range, it doesn't always behave as well if you hover around the fringes of reception. Buried in various places in the stack are certain timeouts and retry limits that developers do NOT have access to that can "lock out" the app or the car and prevent further communication (until a reboot or network reset of either or both ends).

Bluetooth messages are transacted. Using iOS as an example, when your phone sends a message to the car ("Hey. You up?"), the car is expected to acknowledge receiving that message, THEN reply in another transaction (which your phone then acknowledges). But due to asymmetries in reception and transmission, it's possible for one end of this conversation to hear the question, but the other end can't hear the acknowledgement. If the app is written "optimistically" (i.e. keep asking the question, it will be answered when we are close enough) it can frustrate iOS, which is EXTREMELY biased towards saving power. After a certain number of failed acknowledgements, iOS will silently blackball the device to save power. It won't even bother sending any messages the app may request. The app and the app developer are none the wiser; the questions are never answered no matter how close you are to the car. To the app developer, it's like the car is not there.

My company discovered this and got around the problem (mostly) with a very pessimistic programming model. Our apps have a very short fuse (shorter than iOS's) when a question is not acknowledged. In other words, our app quits before iOS can get pissed. Works pretty well, but not foolproof, especially if you have other Bluetooth apps bugging the stack at the same time. It also requires that the user request to be connected, which is fine for our use cases, but is not acceptable for a "works automatically" key.

There may come a time that Tesla orchestrates Bluetooth unlocking a little better. Until then, I'll just touch the door handle to unlock. That's how my current car works anyway, and while it sometimes leaves passengers waiting for me to get to my door, it works very predictably. Assuming that "walk away lock" is one-time transaction, I'll probably leave that one on auto.

P.S. When Bluetooth stops working, reboot your phone and if necessary the car.

Love

Tesla Quad Cities
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Cool, thanks! Not sure if that sounds good enough to replace Spotify, but at least it's free and built-in!
To follow up on this, I'm having a difficult time getting my Slacker login credentials from my contacts at Westmont, They claim they are not provided for any Model 3.
I'll try and contact Fremont and see. Maybe it's not available for the 3 the way it was for the S because all my wife had to do was email them.