Bluetooth issues?

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

airj1012

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Did you try to turn off Bluetooth then On? That always solves the issue for me.
Many times. Airplane mode, bluetooth off, phone off...Not sure which one, if any, works for the longest time before reverting back to the old ways, but in my opinion this shouldn't continue to happen. Annoying, but still LOVE the car.

airj1012

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Many times. Airplane mode, bluetooth off, phone off...Not sure which one, if any, works for the longest time before reverting back to the old ways, but in my opinion this shouldn't continue to happen. Annoying, but still LOVE the car.
So here is another example from today. I opened my car, the audio started playing. I sat down, realized I left a list in the house. Left the car door open, walked back into the house for ~15 seconds, and went back to the car. Sat in the car, music is still playing. I close the door and then bluetooth dropped. The icon in the top right was no longer dark grey and I had to reconnect my phone through that bluetooth menu. That makes ZERO sense to me.

zosoisnotaword

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
So here is another example from today. I opened my car, the audio started playing. I sat down, realized I left a list in the house. Left the car door open, walked back into the house for ~15 seconds, and went back to the car. Sat in the car, music is still playing. I close the door and then bluetooth dropped. The icon in the top right was no longer dark grey and I had to reconnect my phone through that bluetooth menu. That makes ZERO sense to me.
I had been having issues with my iPhone 6 too. The bluetooth key wouldn't connect unless I took the phone out of my pocket, both for unlocking doors and allowing the car to drive. I did a little research and found that it could be the antenna cable in the phone. It was only a $20 repair from ifixit ($10 repair kit, $5 antenna, $5 shipping), so I gave it a shot. Phone key has now been flawless for 10 days. This is worth a shot because it's a cheap attempt, and it worked for me. Based on the number of comments in this repair guide, it seems to be a common issue with the iPhone 6. Flex Cable Repair Guide

The introduction says that it's a fix for a poor WiFi signal, but this cable is also for the bluetooth antenna. If you don't have the vanilla iPhone 6, make sure you go to the correct phone for that specific repair guide/part, because the 6, 6s and 6+ are slightly different from what I gathered. You have to remove 20+ screws of different sizes, so be prepared to be highly organized. Make sure you read all the user comments from others who have done the repair.

Enginerd

Country
Country
My own experience (Samsung S5) is that BLE unlock has been fairly reliable (say 80-90%) until recently. Now with 2019.24.4, it seems to be really horrible, like 10-20% success rate. I can nearly count on doing an airplane mode reset about twice before the car will let me in, unless I give up and use the card.

That said, Bluetooth audio seems to be connecting much quicker, generally within a second or two of entering the car. Ironically, when BLE unlock fails and I use the card, it seems that Bluetooth audio plays instantaneously when I sit in the driver's seat. How can it connect to audio without connecting to unlock? I suspect that quicker Bluetooth audio is to blame for the poor unlock performance, but I don't know the details of how they may be related.

MelindaV

☰ > 3
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My own experience (Samsung S5) is that BLE unlock has been fairly reliable (say 80-90%) until recently. Now with 2019.24.4, it seems to be really horrible, like 10-20% success rate. I can nearly count on doing an airplane mode reset about twice before the car will let me in, unless I give up and use the card.

That said, Bluetooth audio seems to be connecting much quicker, generally within a second or two of entering the car. Ironically, when BLE unlock fails and I use the card, it seems that Bluetooth audio plays instantaneously when I sit in the driver's seat. How can it connect to audio without connecting to unlock? I suspect that quicker Bluetooth audio is to blame for the poor unlock performance, but I don't know the details of how they may be related.
the two are not connected/dependent on each other.
In nearly a year, the only time my walk-up unlock hasn't worked is when I forget I had turned off my phone's BT for one reason or another, or it is in a back pocket. BUT every other time it has worked flawlessly. Audio BT has also always connected immediately when a door is opened (to the point of it being annoying).

Country
Country
BLE unlock has been fairly reliable (say 80-90%) until recently
@MelindaV , FYI after getting upset (unable to quickly get into the car in the rain), I deleted my phone key and reset the pairing. Since doing so, BLE unlock and BT audio been extremely reliable. Now the phone-as-key works, and BT audio connects very quickly. Maybe un-pairing/re-pairing is warranted every once in a while after receiving firmware updates.

Gabzqc

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Phone will not stay connected to the car for calling or playing media, unless both Media and Calls are selected in my phone options.
Before software update 24.4, the phone would be happy to disable media, so my music would not automatically transfer to the car when I opened the door... helpful when washing the car and listening to music from phone on bluetooth headphones...