Bluetooth issues?

• Our merch store is back! Check out our line of quality apparel and accessories featuring the TOO logo. Let us know if you'd like something specific you don't see 👍https://teespring.com/stores/tesla-owners-online-store
  • It's OK to discuss software issues here but please report bugs to Tesla directly at servicehelpna@teslamotors.com if you want things fixed.

Jim Brown

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hey Jim, have you solved your intermittent bluetooth issue? I have BT issues where it is stuck in “initializing” cycle so the icon is grayed on the screen.
No. I haven't figured it out yet. My wife and I have the same phones (Samsung Galaxy S8+). She says her phone works fine in the car. I sat down and compared each phone side by side to see how they are configured for Bluetooth. I can't find any difference. I was hoping to figure this out myself. I'm just hard headed. But it seems I may have to call somebody for help. It's gotta be something silly that I'm just not seeing.

My son has an iPhone 8. We connected it to the car to play music and everything worked fine. A few days later, I was sitting in a parking lot waiting, and decided to play around with the Bluetooth to try to get it to work. I decided to delete my son's phone just to see what would happen. All of a sudden, my phone connected, the Bluetooth symbol lit up, and stayed on. No flicker. I sat there for over 30 minutes playing the music I have stored on my phone and making phone calls through the car, one after the other with no problem. I thought maybe his phone was interfering somehow and that now everything was good. I was happy and didn't even think about it the rest of the day. The next morning I was right back to having problems and it's been that way ever since.

When I get in the car, I have no difficulty using the phone as my key. Opens 99% of the time on the first try. I can use the phone app without any difficulty. I have tried deleting and re-pairing my phone. I have tried re-booting the screen. I think I have touched all the bases (a few times each), but I can't get it to work. The Bluetooth icon in the upper right corner of the screen comes on for about 30 seconds or so. Then goes gray. And it just cycles on and off. I don't know what happened that one time while it was working. But I haven't been able to get it to work consistently since.

If ANYBODY has ANY suggestions, I'm all ears. I'll try anything. It really makes me nuts when somebody calls me while I'm in the car and the call keeps cycling back and forth through my phone, and then through the car. Phone -> Car -> Phone -> Car -> Phone -> Car ...

Otherwise, I'm gonna have to get professional help ...

For the Bluetooth connection.

JML

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I've got a similar problem, where my phone as key has worked 100% of the time since I got my car 3 weeks ago, but it seams like very frequently my s8 does not connect for calls or media at all. I don't notice that it's connected and then disconnects, just eventually I see that it isn't connected at all more than half of the time. When I tap the icon my phone is still there and when I press connect it does, but it doesn't seem to want to do it on its own.
I don't use my S8+ for media but it has connected 100% of the time for use as a hands free phone. You might need to change a configuration setting. Which one is beyond my pay grade.;)
I have an S8 and it is also does not connect reliably. If I don't do anything it will connect for calendar and contact sharing. Sometimes it will connect for calls, and rarely it will connect for media. To check this, go to bluetooth settings on the phone (long press the bluetooth icon in the pull down menu on the phone). Tap the gear by your Model 3, and you should see that your phone can connect for two or three things. I often have to tap the media slider several times to get the phone to connect for media. I also have this problem with bluetooth headsets, so I don't think it is just the Tesla, but rather the phone. Once I finally get the phone connected for media, it will almost always play without a problem.

I have a different problem with calls, which I also have with bluetooth headsets. When bluetooth is connected and I answer a call, the audio frequently goes to the phone instead of the bluetooth device. With a headset it is easy enough to toggle the audio to the phone and back to the bluetooth, and then it works fine. In the car that is a problem.

Anyway, I hope Android 9 for the S8 fixes some of these problems.

Jorden

Country
Country
Mine also started connecting and disconnecting every 10 or so seconds. Really a PIA. Was working flawlessly for 6 months before that.

Bokonon

Self-identified Teslaholic
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just adding a data point as another Samsung Galaxy S8 owner:

Similar experience here. Phone as key has always worked (close to 100% of the time), but the phone's media connection is spotty for some reason. Often times the phone doesn't show up as a connected media device, and I have to re-add it to stream music or sync my calendar. Other times, it just shows up and works as expected.

The last time I tried to stream a podcast (on 39.7, I think?) the audio would occasionally stall out after something like 8 minutes, and playback would pause on my device. To fix it, I would have to cycle Bluetooth on the phone, restart the audio, and advance to where I had left off. (Maybe they've fixed that bug since then? I'll have to try it out sometime...)

As for phone calls, I don't make or receive many of them while driving, but they have all connected without issue (except when I try to transfer an in-progress call from my phone to the car).

ricarmz

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok final follow up since I’m talking to myself anyway :)

It’s a known issue for Tesla with iOS 11.

They have a fix coming but the workaround is to disable contact sync on your iPhone.

I just posted my solution: See Phone Connectivity and Bluetooth Solution - FINALLY (Software and Firmware)

Let me know if this works.

justaute

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Had two incoming calls during my drive today, but could not hear the callers (until I switched to phone speaker) at all. Car showed connection to the phone. I switched on/off the airplane mode -- to no avail. This is ridiculous.

JML

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
My phone works reliably 100% of the time with any other Bluetooth device i have ever connected to it. Just not with my Tesla.
My phone (Samsung S8) used to work reliably with bluetooth 100% of the time until an update in September or October.. Then it started showing two new problems:
Had two incoming calls during my drive today, but could not hear the callers (until I switched to phone speaker) at all. Car showed connection to the phone. I switched on/off the airplane mode -- to no avail. This is ridiculous.
This is first. When a bluetooth device is connected, be it the Tesla, a headset, or whatever, and I answer a call, the audio is not directed to the bluetooth. It works perfectly if I make a call, and it works once I click the phone to send audio to the bluetooth.

The second problem is that when a turn on a bluetooth device and it connects to the phone, it doesn't always connect media audio automatically. I've not been able to figure out any pattern as to why it works sometimes and not others.

On top of that, the Model 3 definitely has bluetooth issues. Even with the wonky bluetooth on the S8, it will connect quickly and reliably (just not always with media audio) to headsets, the $100 Kenwood in my other car, etc. It does not connect quickly and reliable to the Model 3. If I'm listening to Slacker, the phone will be connected by the end of my drive, but I don't want to get in the car and wait 5-10 minutes for the phone and the car to sort out their problems.

I use bluetooth daily, and it used to be really good on the S8, so I was very aware of when it started sucking. Some days I get so frustrated with the Tesla bluetooth that I'm tempted to install the bluetooth FM transmitter I used to use in my truck (before the Kenwood).

SimonMatthews

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
The second problem is that when a turn on a bluetooth device and it connects to the phone, it doesn't always connect media audio automatically. I've not been able to figure out any pattern as to why it works sometimes and not others.
I had never seen this behaviour until recently when it happened on connection my phone (LG G5) to my Nissan Leaf. It's never happened with my Tesla.

JML

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Hopefully some good news for people with the Samsung S8, S8+, and Note 8. A few days ago I received the official Android 9/Pie beta, and bluetooth seems to be better. Or at least, my problem of media audio (now just called audio) failing to connect has not reappeared in the car or with my headsets. Additionally the phone key seems to be working better. Or rather, the few times since then I've gone to the car and pulled the handle, it has unlocked within five seconds, and without having to wake my phone.

Bluetooth connection within the car is still very slow, but once connected it works fine. If I do nothing, it seems to connect within a minute or two, so I've still been long pressing the bluetooth symbol in the car, and telling it to connect to my phone. This cuts it down to maybe 30 seconds.

The final Android 9 update for the Samsung 8 series should be out in February or March. These are some popular phones, so I hope it means better interaction with the Model 3 for lots of people.

Finally, starting in Android 8.1, but for the first time available on the Samsung 8 series, native reporting of bluetooth battery level is supported. Of course this has been on iOS for some time. I really think Teslas should report their battery state of charge this way.
screenshot.jpg

PNWmisty

Legendary Member
Country
Country
Hopefully some good news for people with the Samsung S8, S8+, and Note 8. A few days ago I received the official Android 9/Pie beta, and bluetooth seems to be better. Or at least, my problem of media audio (now just called audio) failing to connect has not reappeared in the car or with my headsets. Additionally the phone key seems to be working better. Or rather, the few times since then I've gone to the car and pulled the handle, it has unlocked within five seconds, and without having to wake my phone.
But Android 8 on the Samsung S8+ unlocks without having to wake the phone and without any delay. I would be very dissatisfied if there was any delay to unlock (let alone 5 seconds).

Finally, starting in Android 8.1, but for the first time available on the Samsung 8 series, native reporting of bluetooth battery level is supported. Of course this has been on iOS for some time. I really think Teslas should report their battery state of charge this way.
I don't know why anyone would even want to go into their Bluetooth menu, let alone use it to determine your batteries state of charge (the Tesla app seems more convenient and easier to use for that purpose). What am I missing?

justaute

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Still no luck with my Essential PH-1 phone.
- works 100% as phone-key
- BT does connect, but cannot use the phone. When first answering an incoming call, there's a short burst of static "noise" over the TM3 speakers, but I am not able to hear, nor can the caller hear me.
- my phone connects with every other BT device I own, plus my two previous vehicles (Acura MDX & Bimmer 3-series).
- phone is on Android 9 and, besides Pixel phones, mine likely has the most pure Android OS.
- phone has BT 5.0.

sigh...would hate to have to get a new phone just because Tesla's incompetence.

justaute

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Most people's Android phones use Tesla's Bluetooth features just fine so I wouldn't jump to conclusions as to exactly where the problem lies.
Perhaps you are correct. That said, plenty of Android phones have problems -- whether it's "most", it's up to debate. Plus, as mentioned, my phone works with each and every BT device I have encountered, as many others do.

sraatc17

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I previously reported that getting rid of any characters in my contacts solved my issues of my s8 not connecting when I got in my car. It did get better bit after a few days I noticed the issue returning. The next thing that I tried was deleting my wife's iPhone from the car, and I haven't had a problem since then. My s8 connects every single time now.

justaute

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I previously reported that getting rid of any characters in my contacts solved my issues of my s8 not connecting when I got in my car. It did get better bit after a few days I noticed the issue returning. The next thing that I tried was deleting my wife's iPhone from the car, and I haven't had a problem since then. My s8 connects every single time now.
Appreciate the update. I "deleted" my wife, but still didn't work. :) In all seriousness, my Essential is the only BT phone connected to my car.

JML

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
But Android 8 on the Samsung S8+ unlocks without having to wake the phone and without any delay. I would be very dissatisfied if there was any delay to unlock (let alone 5 seconds).
I wish mine was as good as yours. Today for example, I went into the garage and the car opened immediately. I closed the door, and then shoveled snow for 10 minutes. Then I came back to the car, pulled the handle, and got the "Tap Key..." screen. I held the door handle for probably 15 seconds, and then I heard the clunk and such of the car waking up. I reset and pulled the handle again and the door opened. No idea why it was so perfect one instance, and a few minutes later it was slow.

I don't know why anyone would even want to go into their Bluetooth menu, let alone use it to determine your batteries state of charge (the Tesla app seems more convenient and easier to use for that purpose). What am I missing?
The point is just a silly easter egg. Some phones will show bluetooth battery level in the status bar, which is even better. Showing your airpod battery level in the status bar? Useful. Showing the Tesla battery level in the status bar? Entertains me as much as the fart simulator.