BlackVue 900s issues

mservice

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
i have gone through 4 12V batteries. I had my BlackVue 900s installed in July of this year. Late August I had a pop up saying that my 12V battery needed service to replace the battery soon. Took the car into Tesla Service Tyson's, Va. and they replaced the battery. Two weeks later the warning popped up again. Back to Tyson"s, and they replaced the battery thinking it might of been a bad battery. Again, the warning popped. Same process. The last time Tyson's dug deeper and found that it was the 900s draining the 12V battery. The BlackVue was set to run 72 hours and apparently the parking mode would kick in all night. So, took the car into the installer of the BlackVue who reduced the run time to 12 hours while in park. This is kind of a test. fingered crossed that it fixes the issue. But, checking TeslaTap I found that the 900s does not work well with the Model 3, and they recommend buying the BlackVue battery at $300.00… Ultimate 2018 Tesla Dashcam Guide | TeslaTap this article is very good about a number of different Dashcams and impacts. It’s not just the 3s with issues there’s even issues with the BlackVue and Models S & X.

TSLAholic

Country
Country
I ran across a couple from North Carolina locally, and we had a chat about their early production Model 3. They not only had a BlackVue dashcam, but also a live streaming air card to upload the footage onto a cloud installed in the car.
I deliberately decided not to hard wire my BlackVue when installing it into my Model 3 when I swapped it over from my Infiniti to avoid the dreaded 12V battery issue. What the guy explained is that there is a circuit you could tap into in the passenger (not the commonly used driver side foot well connection) side foot well area that allows for constant power draw with no issues. I have yet to check on this, but figured I'd post it for anyone interested in checking this out.
I will definitely check into it myself this spring, once the weather cooperates.

mservice

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I ran across a couple from North Carolina locally, and we had a chat about their early production Model 3. They not only had a BlackVue dashcam, but also a live streaming air card to upload the footage onto a cloud installed in the car.
I deliberately decided not to hard wire my BlackVue when installing it into my Model 3 when I swapped it over from my Infiniti to avoid the dreaded 12V battery issue. What the guy explained is that there is a circuit you could tap into in the passenger (not the commonly used driver side foot well connection) side foot well area that allows for constant power draw with no issues. I have yet to check on this, but figured I'd post it for anyone interested in checking this out.
I will definitely check into it myself this spring, once the weather cooperates.
Not aware of that, but that doesn’t sound like it would work. Anything using a hot circuit would likely be pulling current. So far after my installer dropped the time from 72 hours to 12 hours I haven’t had an issue (fingers crossed).

TSLAholic

Country
Country
Ok, so we know there is a voltage converter/power supply on board between the main pack and the 12V system, which provides the necessary power to keep the 12v battery charged. Is it possible that this circuit is located post main pack but pre 12v battery itself? This could easily be identified by measuring current draw from the 12v battery as the circuit is presented with a load. No current draw at 12v battery would indicate power being drawn from the power supply itself. My Blackvue 650 needs a mere 4 watts for park mode recording, so I don't think it's anywhere close to overloading said power supply even if it has to charge the 12v battery at the same time. One other uncertainty is whether the 12v error codes are generated due to continuous current draw from the power supply when the 12v battery is actually bad/can't hold a charge and requires constant charging, or whether they are based on actual 12v battery soc. This is all pure speculation, of course. I plan to check on this come spring, nonetheless.

mservice

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Ok, so we know there is a voltage converter/power supply on board between the main pack and the 12V system, which provides the necessary power to keep the 12v battery charged. Is it possible that this circuit is located post main pack but pre 12v battery itself? This could easily be identified by measuring current draw from the 12v battery as the circuit is presented with a load. No current draw at 12v battery would indicate power being drawn from the power supply itself. My Blackvue 650 needs a mere 4 watts for park mode recording, so I don't think it's anywhere close to overloading said power supply even if it has to charge the 12v battery at the same time. One other uncertainty is whether the 12v error codes are generated due to continuous current draw from the power supply when the 12v battery is actually bad/can't hold a charge and requires constant charging, or whether they are based on actual 12v battery soc. This is all pure speculation, of course. I plan to check on this come spring, nonetheless.
Hard to say.. it would be nice to have an electrical chart. BlackVues all seem to have different setups for Tesla’s. Friend with an MS has his connected direct to 12V not through the parking Pro. However, that doesn’t work wit the M3.. Good luck.