Black seats feedback from warm/sunny forum friends

Pescakl1

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Some background first: I currently own a 2009 BMW 328i xdrive with a black interior. Seats are leatherette, sort of plastic type faux-leather, quite same as the tesla vegan leather but less smoother, more grainy.

When I park my car on a sunny day either car facing south, or driver side facing south (sun hitting the black seats directly), the seats become really hot rapidly, enough that I cannot rest on the back part of the seat for awhile, my daughter on the back seat complaining she cannot even sit on it.

From our fellow forum friends from sunny and warm places that already received their cars, what is your experience with the black seats of the Model 3 after a few hours of sun bathing of the car? Does the car accumulate a lot of warmth in the seats?

If yes, by pre-conditioning the car, were you able to remove some heat from the seats? How long did it take to get them comfortable: 5 or 10 minutes of conditioning? How much will it draw range from the car (when you are on a road trip of some sort and need maximum range)?

The problem is I cannot order the ultra white interior because with my 11 yr old (and mostly her friends), it will not last long.
I dream of the beige interior of Model S and X (so nice...), but apparently it is only black or ultra white in the pipeline for now.
So I need to find a way to live with black seats.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

TesLou

TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Some background first: I currently own a 2009 BMW 328i xdrive with a black interior. Seats are leatherette, sort of plastic type faux-leather, quite same as the tesla vegan leather but less smoother, more grainy.

When I park my car on a sunny day either car facing south, or driver side facing south (sun hitting the black seats directly), the seats become really hot rapidly, enough that I cannot rest on the back part of the seat for awhile, my daughter on the back seat complaining she cannot even sit on it.

From our fellow forum friends from sunny and warm places that already received their cars, what is your experience with the black seats of the Model 3 after a few hours of sun bathing of the car? Does the car accumulate a lot of warmth in the seats?

If yes, by pre-conditioning the car, were you able to remove some heat from the seats? How long did it take to get them comfortable: 5 or 10 minutes of conditioning? How much will it draw range from the car (when you are on a road trip of some sort and need maximum range)?

The problem is I cannot order the ultra white interior because with my 11 yr old (and mostly her friends), it will not last long.
I dream of the beige interior of Model S and X (so nice...), but apparently it is only black or ultra white in the pipeline for now.
So I need to find a way to live with black seats.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Just my 2 cents here but I’m going to buy a set of “seat hoodies” from Evannex ($89.00 for a set). They appear to be easy on/easy off. I’m mainly getting them to put over the seats when I’m done disc golfing in the summer and sweating like crazy and I would think they’ll work really well in the situation you described. This obviously won’t solve your back seat issue but perhaps it’ll solve 2/5 of your problem.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I’m in South Florida and the ambient temperature in the car after my workday is 115F.

Forget seat hoodies and forget seat color. From the app you precool the car. After 4-5 minutes the car is in the 60sF and the seats are cool to the touch!

LucyferSam

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
I'd definitely look toward pre-conditioning rather than seat covers, the front seats have airbags in them and are not supposed to have seat covers.

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Just my 2 cents here but I’m going to buy a set of “seat hoodies” from Evannex ($89.00 for a set). They appear to be easy on/easy off. I’m mainly getting them to put over the seats when I’m done disc golfing in the summer and sweating like crazy and I would think they’ll work really well in the situation you described. This obviously won’t solve your back seat issue but perhaps it’ll solve 2/5 of your problem.
I got this for running and it worked absolutely perfectly. Just in the car for my drive home from a race though not a permanent fixture.

SeatBrella and it’s only $25.90 (shipped) per seat. Zero sweat got through to the seat!! I’d be worried on a microfiber material that sweat will absolutely get through it. Also, it’s stored in a self-contained pouch that I keep in the trunk cubby with the UMC pouch.

1327F15E-818C-45E6-B198-B51AEF8135DD.jpeg

Pescakl1

Tesla Owner
Reservation
Country
Country
Thank you all for the answers so far.

Not big fan of adding stuff to my car, and like you said it solves my problem but not my passengers' problem

I’m in South Florida and the ambient temperature in the car after my workday is 115F.

Forget seat hoodies and forget seat color. From the app you precool the car. After 4-5 minutes the car is in the 60sF and the seats are cool to the touch!
Thanks for the data. So, with the car in the 60s F, the seats will be at about the same temperature? Will they give up their heat back?

That will be nice and solve the problem.

Do you know if this is the case for the back seats too?
Do you know (approximately) how much range do you use in about 5 minutes to cool the car?

Last thing: did you happen to feel the seats before pre-conditioning the car (or when you forget to pre-condition the car)? Were they burning hot (the one directly under the sun)?

Pre-conditioning the car without (much) polluting the planet is sure a nice thing...

SoFlaModel3

@Teslatunity
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
Thanks for the data. So, with the car in the 60s F, the seats will be at about the same temperature? Will they give up their heat back?

That will be nice and solve the problem.

Do you know if this is the case for the back seats too?
Do you know (approximately) how much range do you use in about 5 minutes to cool the car?

Last thing: did you happen to feel the seats before pre-conditioning the car (or when you forget to pre-condition the car)? Were they burning hot (the one directly under the sun)?

Pre-conditioning the car without (much) polluting the planet is sure a nice thing...
The seats won’t be 60F like the ambient temperature in the car, but absolutely cool the touch and pleasant to sit on. That 4-5 minutes of preconditioning seems to burn 1-2 miles of range, which in my opinion is well worth it.

The one time I forgot to pre-cool the car was absolutely as warm as the app suggested inside. It cooled very quickly and I didn’t feel like the seats were burning hot by any means.

I hope that helps!

Tesla Owner
No
Country
Country
The biggest issue I have with my 3 since got it on 7/17 is that the seat is too warm after sitting in for 5-10 min. My back of shirt is wet after driving for 30 min. I am 155lb person. I have not had such a problem with leather seat of other car. Can someone send a request to Mr. Musk via twitter. I don't have an active account. Thank you!

Last edited:

John

Tech Founder
TOO Supporting Member
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
[FONT=Roboto, sans-serif]The biggest issue I have with my 3 since got it on 7/17 is that the seat is too warm after sitting in for 5-10 min. My back of shirt is wet after driving for 30 min. I am 155lb person. I have not had such a problem with leather seat of other car. Can someone send a request to Mr. Musk via twitter. I don't have an active account. Thank you![/FONT]
Haven't noticed the problem in mine in 95 degree heat. And I get hot easily. Never heard this complaint before.

JeopardE

Tesla Owner
Model 3
Country
Country
From blazing hot Houston here, the interior has been better than I expected. I'm sure part has to do with my tint, but I did not tint the front roof glass or windshield. There have been many occasions when I was angry with myself for forgetting to turn on precooling before leaving the building and got into the car expecting the seats to be blazing hot but they were still comfortable. And the AC cools quite fast.

My previous car had tan colored seats and it was much, much worse. I'd dread entering the car on Sunday afternoons after church. No more with Joules.