Black Model 3 Got 20x9 BBS Shoes...What to do next?

• SUPPORT THE SITE AND ENJOY A PREMIUM EXPERIENCE!
    Welcome to Tesla Owners Online, four years young! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of TOO. We now offer yearly memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://teslaownersonline.com/account/upgrades

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Did you know we have a YouTube channel that's all about Tesla? Lots of Tesla information, fun, vlogs, product reviews, and a weekly Tesla Owners Online Podcast as well!

What should I do next, Lower, Tint, or Chrome Delete?

• Total voters

Perscitus

Top-Contributor
TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Wheels look great! Nice pairing for the 3s body lines.

Voted Tint (if your local laws allow it and you care for the look).

Consider Option D: Nothing. Leave it like this and enjoy the ride. Having worked on cars, in race series, aftermarket accessory and engine management tuner shops for 25+ years, I've come full circle on most modifications. Less is more.

Last edited:

Achooo

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I definitely agree having been through a similar “full circle” that less is more. That being said. With such amazing wheels, I think that closing that wheel gap would round out and complete your look. Then, you might be done. Keyword: might. I’m always itching to do more. It’s like a drug. Haha

hydrofied714

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I guess the obvious answer would be lowering the car. To me, new wheels without lowering is egregious 😁

Jk...I understand not everyone live in areas that are suitable for lowered cars. Perhaps a nice tint? BTW nice choice on wheels! Very elegant.

TheMagician

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Nice video. You have some talent if you put that together. I would caution against lowering the car immediately. You took a lot of sidewall out of your tires. Looks like you came from 19’s ???

Drive the car for a couple months and see how you like living with low profile tires. You might find you need to go back up a series or two depending on how well maintained the roads are and lowering the car won’t leave you any room. Again, beautiful car though. And for the love of god, get your windows tinted. Black cars are begging for 20% tint :)

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
+1 vote lowering. @TheMagician the chances of lower affecting the size of the tire is likely insignificant as the recommendation is usually to adjust tire sidewall to maintain overall stock diameter. So if he goes down in wheel size he'll go up in sidewall to compensate.

MMMGP

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
20x9 on 235s or 245s? With 245s, the diameter of the tire is 7mm taller which I believe translates to a 3.5mm increase in ride height.

The Model 3 Performance is 10mm lower so there is definitely some room to lower the non-P model and still be in spec. I’m on 20x9s too and am waiting on the MPP comfort coilovers to reduce the ‘4x4’ look.

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
@Perscitus, Thanks for the sagely advice; I can definitely respect the less is more philosophy.

@Achooo, @hydrofied714, Agree with the difference that closing the wheel well gap would have on aesthetics.

@TheMagician, Thanks for the compliment on the video editing. I swapped out the factory 18s for the 20s.

@vtplm, You nailed it in terms of maintaining overall stock diameter.

@MMMGP, I went with 235/35ZR-20 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S TO Tesla, Acoustic Tech XL, which are the same as the stock tires on the Performance 3.

I messed around on Photoshop yesterday and comped up what it would look like with chrome delete and tint. Even though the chances of getting pinched for front tint in Cali could be small, I don’t even want to think about getting pulled over for it, so I’d only go with rear tint. Now that I’m seeing it, even though the tint would be relatively light to mitigate contrast between front and rear windows, it still futzes with aesthetic balance and therefore my OCD.
ronin-tint-chrome-delete-png.23514

Achooo

TOO Supporting Member
Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
@Perscitus, Thanks for the sagely advice; I can definitely respect the less is more philosophy.

@Achooo, @hydrofied714, Agree with the difference that closing the wheel well gap would have on aesthetics.

@TheMagician, Thanks for the compliment on the video editing. I swapped out the factory 18s for the 20s.

@MMMGP, I went with 235/35ZR-20 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S TO Tesla, Acoustic Tech XL, which are the same as the stock tires on the Performance 3.

I messed around on Photoshop yesterday and comped up what it would look like with chrome delete and tint. Even though the chances of getting pinched for front tint in Cali could be small, I don’t even want to think about getting pulled over for it, so I’d only go with rear tint. Now that I’m seeing it, even though the tint would be relatively light to mitigate contrast between front and rear windows, it still futzes with aesthetic balance and therefore my OCD.
View attachment 23514
It is all a matter of taste, but with lighter colored wheels on a black car, I would opt NOT to do the chrome delete. I feel that the chrome and the wheels accent each other nicely on a black car. Also, I agree that tint would have to be all 5 windows or nothing at all. Back in the early 2000's, a local shop used to have a $40 service for their customers where they would remove the front tint in the event of a ticket and then reapply it after you clear the fix-it ticket. Not sure if anyone does stuff like that anymore.

njkode

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
I've had tint on all my cars since I moved to CA and I have never had an issue. I live in LA where I think it would be more of an issue than anywhere. I got my Model 3 tinted 30% all the way around just recently. If I do get pulled over I lower all the windows so when the officer approaches he can see in the car without any issue.

With that said I vote chrome delete and tint

hydrofied714

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3

View attachment 23514
I honestly don’t feel a light tint is worth it, unless you wanted ceramic for cooling purposes. But for aesthetics, a light tint makes little difference. I recently went with 35% and regret it. I wanted to go darker but had to compromise since my girlfriend also drives the car and she complained about not being able to see in my previous cars. I honestly wouldn’t go any higher than 30% for aesthetics. Especially on a black car. But ultimately it’s your choice. Safety should always be top priority. Not everyone is comfortable driving with dark tinted windows.

I agree with one of the poster above about the chrome delete. Since your light wheels are a big contrast to your car, you may consider leaving the chrome or maybe even wrapping them to match the wheels more. It looks like those wheels are silver? Or perhaps you could chrome delete only the window trims.

Nathan805

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Your wheels look fantastic. And the Photoshop mockup is cool. Well done. I live in Santa Barbara (notoriously strict officers of the law), and I have never been ticketed with 40% tint on all windows (30% on my Mini Cooper). I did, however, get a $48 ticket the other day for failing to install my front license plate (we'll just call it a "style" tax).

I've completed a chrome delete and window tint and want to (someday down the line) upgrade my wheels and tires. With that said, I'm a wheel novice and really don't understand all of the various sizing metrics and broader implications. Any recommendations on where I might look to better understand this stuff? I'd really love to know what's possible on a Model 3 (e.g. increased wheel/tire width, increased wheel/tire diameter, wider wheel "stance" to better fill out the wheel wells, etc.).

Thanks!

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
@Achooo, Good eye! It’s the top level of the parking garage of 40 Pacifica, which is on the same street as the Spectrum.

@njkode, Many peeps have similar stories about not getting ticketed for their tint, but I have extreme luck (mostly net positive), so it’s entirely possible I’d be the one to get nailed for it.

@hydrofied714, Interesting perspective on the light tint. Oh and the wheels have a machined finish with anthracite accents. BBS makes them in a black and also in a bright silver but I really love the look of the machined finish.

@Nathan805, Sucks about the front license plate ticket and good thing they didn’t get you on the tint while they were at it. I’m definitely no expert on wheel sizing but Tire Rack has some great info: Link

@Mysta, The flooring is GarageDeck, and you can design your own pattern, so I created parking lanes for the cars in black and gray. I’m including a pic below and here’s a link to a video of the garage makeover so you can see how I installed them: Garage Video

garage-jpg.23541

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Man you have excellent taste. Our garages are really similar! I have racedeck flooring, newage pro cabinets, and waiting for the overhead storage install.

Re: tint -- I feel like it's relative. I have 40% 3m crystalline all around with 70 windshield and it looks plenty dark to add to aesthetics but not too dark to really get you in trouble fast. Heat rejection is actually super good for stock tesla windows and don't feel like there was a huge difference in that regard.

Attachments

PandaM3

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
My vote is lower it with Mountain Pass Coilovers... it will ride as good as stock and handle better too.

If mountain pass doesn’t have the awd coilovers available yet then do the tint first. I’d probably go light all around or medium all around.

Since the chrome matches the wheels... no need to chrome delete... unless you can do a satin silver vinyl instead on the trim.

kizamebute'

Country
Country
Tesla Owner
Model 3
Definitely needs to lowered! But that's true of all non-performance Model 3's in my opinion. Model 3 has such a short nose that lowering it an inch isn't an issue for most driveways. Beyond that, the rest is up to you. Possibilities would include: Tint, chrome delete, rear spoiler. Subtle but sporty without being over the top kid car territory.